Help Help Help

Lisyloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

Both me and my husband are very badly controlled type 2 diabetics. Our last HCB1 were 97 and 99 which is just ridiculous.
We both have no will power and very sweet teeth!

Really looking for some help now. I have just had my 50th birthday and know things will start to go down hill fast if I don't take control.

We both love food and I love to cook so should have no excuses for making healthier choices but I really do not understand all the different sugars and carbs etc.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Lisa

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome @Lisyloo You do not state what medications you are on. Sugar is sugar, matters not what type they are all the same to our bodies. Carbohydrate is converted to sugars by our body, and even us T2D's are still very efficient at that!
I will tag @daisy1 who has some very useful info. Please read it and ask away. They are a friendly bunch here :)
Reducing your carb intake by excusing yourself Bread, Beer, Pasta, Potatoes and Rice is a good start, but if you are on insulin you need to proceed with caution, are seek the advice of your Health Care Pro.

is a good place to start.
I was diagnosed with a score of 96, and have been at 40 for the best part of a year. I have not weighed or measured any carbs or calories, just cut the above items from my diet. I am sure if I did, I would get into the 30's

Good luck with the journey

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome @Lisyloo You do not state what medications you are on. Sugar is sugar, matters not what type they are all the same to our bodies. Carbohydrate is converted to sugars by our body, and even us T2D's are still very efficient at that!
I will tag @daisy1 who has some very useful info. Please read it and ask away. They are a friendly bunch here :)
Reducing your carb intake by excusing yourself Bread, Beer, Pasta, Potatoes and Rice is a good start, but if you are on insulin you need to proceed with caution, are seek the advice of your Health Care Pro.

is a good place to start.
I was diagnosed with a score of 96, and have been at 40 for the best part of a year. I have not weighed or measured any carbs or calories, just cut the above items from my diet. I am sure if I did, I would get into the 30's

Good luck with the journey

Hi, watched this video, very interesting, thanks for info. Regards

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have a read of what diabetes of what diabetes is likely to do to you. if that does not motivate you to change then nothing will. look if you get it under control you will live a healthy life with little risk of the complications happening. get on a decent diet my preferred is the lchf. but doing nothing is not an option its slow suicide.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get a blood glucose meter to check which foods spike your blood sugar. Avoid those foods. Basically avoid breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pastas. Also avoid fruit juice and fruit such as bananas and grapes. Don't buy any low fat food as they add sugar to these. See website www.dietdoctor.com for food recipes and advice on eating low carb.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lisyloo

Hello Lisyloo and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 276,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no different sugars, and no different carbs - they all become glucose which diabetics can't deal with.
If you go on eating things which taste sweet then you will keep your concept of what is 'nice' and crave carbs all the time.
My Hba1c was 91 when diagnosed - exactly one year ago. I went back to low carb eating and at 6 months I was in the normal range - I had to cut out all the 'healthy' starchy foods but I felt so much better. If you concentrate on what you can eat as a basis for your meals then that usually starts things off well - any meat, any fish or shellfish, eggs, cheese, and then you can eat salad stuff, and those vegetables which are low in sugar and starch, and also fruits which are low sugar and starch - I usually set a limit of 10 percent carbs for everyday foods and then I went to 15 for restricted portions a couple of tines a week - but that was added after my Hba1c was down to 47.
I still find my 2003 copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution useful - there are lists of foods recipes and menus in there which might help.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.... I really do not understand all the different sugars and carbs etc.

OK, we may be able to help with that!

The information posted by @daisy1 is a great start. The two big hurdles when I started out on the carb-reduction journey were:

What kind of low-carber do I want to be? Moderate, very, ultra? This might help you figure it out: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html.

Once that decision is made, there is the big puzzle of figuring out which types of food are high-carb, and which are low-carb. The labels on the packets (and the Internet) help a lot. Personally, I got a lot of help from this website: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb (also good for recipes).

Good luck.

Edited to add: As someone already said, we don't know what meds you are on. If you are substantially lowering carbs, you may need to adjust your meds, under the advice of your doctor.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We both have no will power and very sweet teeth!

Try to make finding out the complications of uncontrolled high blood sugar your incentive to boost that will power.

I used Micheal Mosley's 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book as my bible in the beginning. It gives you lots of ideas of good things to eat. If you like cooking it won't be a problem.

After a while you will loose that sweet tooth. I started low carbing in February. In July I was on holiday and someone gave me an ice lolly (as a "treat") but it was so sweet I didn't like it. Now I don't even miss all the rubbish and sweet things I used to stuff myself with. It can be done!

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Buy a blood glucose testing kit and begin with one test first thing in the morning before any food or drink - this will give you your fasting level - if like many of us it could be a little on the high side and this will be due to the liver dumping extra glucose into the blood stream because your body believes you need it to wake up and start your day.
I almost always have full fat natural Greek yogurt for breakfast - this really helps get my levels back to a good zone.
Test 2 hours after your first mouthful of breakfast to find out where you are with your blood glucose level.
Test prior to lunch - a good lunch for me is a salad but can be an omelette for a change,
Then test again 2 hours later - this will give you the impact of your meal.
Again test before your evening meal and 2 hours after
Cauliflower cheese is a good option for my evening meal - no cheese sauce just cheese sprinkled over the cauliflower then baked - some add cream as well to give the sauce effect.
Keep a diary - note down all your readings as well as foods eaten and drinks.

Try and avoid sweeteners as they tend to all react just as if you had eaten sugar of some sort - the one that is OK for me is 'Stevia' or 'Truvia' these are the newest plant based and work for me.

Try to drink plenty of water throughout the day as this will help.

And finally I wish you all the very best and hope you can really make some inroads to the sugar levels......... I know it is not easy and I know I struggle even now but it is only a couple of years for me - so lots of other people here will have far greater knowledge and advice.