Help! High blood sugar after sport

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm new here. I've been diabetic for 20 years, so not newly diagnosed.

I've been having issues with my blood sugars after playing sport. I've done a bit of research, but wondered if anyone had any input or advice which may help.

After playing hockey on Wednesday evening my blood sugars were 19!! I use a libre which didn't show low blood sugars throughout the match - just a massive spike.

I'm assuming that this was due to high intensity exercise causing my liver to dump a load of glucose for increased respiration in muscles. I hadn't had any bolus insulin since lunchtime (match was at 6.30pm). My basal insulin should have been working in the background. Did this happen because my bolus had ceased working and i didn't have enough insulin to get the dumped glucose into my cells? If yes - would you recommend have a small meal and insulin shortly before the hockey match??

After the game I had tea and then had hypos throughout the night. grrrrr.

D

Deleted Account

I used to experience high BG during rock climbing followed by hypos. This was due to the high intensity exercise in short bursts.
This has helped now I am on a pump.
The theory is the same for MDI but you have less control - typically fast acting insulin takes 60 minutes to reach its peaks, so I take some additional bolus before exercise (on a pump this is increasing basal) to cater for the highs I experience during. Then afterwards, go to bed slightly higher than usual and, if possible, reduce your basal.

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really helpful - thanks. It seems counter intuitive to whack a load of insulin in before exercise but obviously needed. It's interesting that when I play in the morning I don't get high sugars - I'm assuming my breakfast bonus is catering for that.