Help I'm confused

Angie5116

Ok so... I have been having full on symptoms of diabetes i.e. extreme thirst constant peeing crazy hungry, shakes etc. Had my bloods done and the results have come back normal... However I am still having the symptoms, I checked my blood sugar levels and they were 9.9. I don't know what to do... Help I'm confused. Anything else I can do.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The blood test your dr will do measures the level of sugar in your blood over a three month period .. The 9.9 reading you have taken with a finger prick test, was it taken before or after eating and how long after eating. Its best to test just before eating and then again 2 hours after.

The best advice I can give you is get back down to your drs and let them know your still not feeling well.

Angie5116

The blood test your dr will do measures the level of sugar in your blood over a three month period .. The 9.9 reading you have taken with a finger prick test, was it taken before or after eating and how long after eating. Its best to test just before eating and then again 2 hours after.

The best advice I can give you is get back down to your drs and let them know your still not feeling well.
The 9.9 was taken after eating and I became unwell hence why i did the test. I am due back at my doctors in a couple of weeks.... Thankyou for the help..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people get high readings immediately after eating. It is much more of a concern if it is high a couple of hours after eating. I hate it when a nurse uses the word "normal" so could you phone and get your Hba1c?
My best take on this is that "normal" is an acceptable reading and you took your finger prick test too soon. You still need to see your doctor as to why you feel ill. I suspect that seeing him/her and telling them you have diabetes so do a test is not the way to make you popular.
Just give him/her a list of symptoms and let THEM work it out.

Angie5116

Most people get high readings immediately after eating. It is much more of a concern if it is high a couple of hours after eating. I hate it when a nurse uses the word "normal" so could you phone and get your Hba1c?
My best take on this is that "normal" is an acceptable reading and you took your finger prick test too soon. You still need to see your doctor as to why you feel ill. I suspect that seeing him/her and telling them you have diabetes so do a test is not the way to make you popular.
Just give him/her a list of symptoms and let THEM work it out.
Hi there... I took the reading an hour later because I became unwell, I would understand if I had done it straight away but I didn't.... Thankyou for your response it's appreciated

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that you need to know exactly what your HbA1c was.
Doctors are very fond of using the words "normal" and "fine" when they may well be only just normal, or only just fine, or even slightly above normal or fine and very borderline. Under 42 is considered normal, but if I were 41 I would be asking for another test. Between 42 and 47 is pre-diabetic, so normal but very much only just normal. 48 and above is diabetic.

A non-diabetic is expected to be under 7.8 at least 90 minutes post meal. There are no recommendations for the period under 90 minutes. Next time it happens try to test after 2 hours. (maybe also at 90 minutes)

What did you eat and drink for that meal? Has this happened before?

Reactions: 2 people

Angie5116

I agree that you need to know exactly what your HbA1c was.
Doctors are very fond of using the words "normal" and "fine" when they may well be only just normal, or only just fine, or even slightly above normal or fine and very borderline. Under 42 is considered normal, but if I were 41 I would be asking for another test. Between 42 and 47 is pre-diabetic, so normal but very much only just normal. 48 and above is diabetic.

A non-diabetic is expected to be under 7.8 at least 90 minutes post meal. There are no recommendations for the period under 90 minutes. Next time it happens try to test after 2 hours. (maybe also at 90 minutes)

What did you eat and drink for that meal? Has this happened before?
Hi... I had a sandwich for my lunch and some juice as I was ridiculously thirsty, and within the hour I became shaky and very pale... It's happened once before but I didn't check it...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bread won't have helped, but the juice will have raised levels quite quickly, so that may explain the 9.9 at an hour.
Other than that, all I can suggest is you do some more testing of meals. Test immediately before and 2 hours after first bite, maybe also at 90 minutes. Forget the hour one. See what that produces over several different meals.

Angie5116

The bread won't have helped, but the juice will have raised levels quite quickly, so that may explain the 9.9 at an hour.
Other than that, all I can suggest is you do some more testing of meals. Test immediately before and 2 hours after first bite, maybe also at 90 minutes. Forget the hour one. See what that produces over several different meals.
I will try that... Thankyou so much.. x

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
And let us know once you follow up on bluetit1802's advice so that we can support you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Angie5116

Hi sorry... It is no added sugar squash if that helps....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Robinson's no added sugar Squash has 0.6g of carbohydrate per 100ml.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so... I have been having full on symptoms of diabetes i.e. extreme thirst constant peeing crazy hungry, shakes etc. Had my bloods done and the results have come back normal... However I am still having the symptoms, I checked my blood sugar levels and they were 9.9. I don't know what to do... Help I'm confused. Anything else I can do.

You sounds exactelly like me 2 years ago. I got similar symptoms, either I would be thirsty, peeing alot and tired, or I would be all shaky, cold sweaty and unfocused. I find my symptoms to be caused by low- and high blood suger. My bloodsugar would get high after eating, 11.8 mmol (almost 2 years ago) at highest if I remember, and then crash, being to low and causing that shaky feeling. My GP mean I am hypoglycemic, so well maybe you have something similar to me?

The bad news, I am not quiet sure what I have, but my GP say I have to treat myself as a reactiv hypoglycemic to keep the bad symptoms away. Unfortunally my high readings (of blood suger) have raised from 11.8, and 15.4 mmol being my highest reading so far, that's almost 3-4 mmol more in less then 2 years. So yes I really see your pain, I've had these crazy symptoms, and my reading seems to start getting crazy at times as well now, and I've had this strange symptoms for 2 years now. Still having no idea of what's happening, so yes your not alone about being confused ;)