Help my numbers are going up

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you all so much I really appreciate all your advice. The funny thing is I didn't add any carbs e.g. Pasta potato etc and my numbers were 6.4 instead of 8 .... quiet a difference

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have friends and sisters who go to Slimming World and they are always trying to get me to go, but looking at their meal I know they would give me high blood sugars. In my experience no diet I've followed helps me lose weight long term if it contains a 'normal' amount of carbs. I'll lose half a stone, but then my body seems to adjust ad I slowly put it all back on and then a bit more. 30 years of doing this took me to 19st. My 2 sisters have been going to Slimming World for about 15 years. One sister has been half a stone off her goal weight for most of that time, the other has yoyo'd between 13 and 11st. She's not 5ft, so has for all that time still been overweight, and she's paid for that privilege!
Since I've been on this website and following a low carb diet I have managed to lose 3st. It's very slow, as I've not really been dieting, but rather changing my diet to get my blood sugar controlled. It's been hard to get my head around after a lifetime of low cal, and I made some mistakes with things that didn't work for me, like being patently unable to control myself around nuts, so snack on them too much and have lots of added cals!
Look on here at the low carb forum. Lots of good advice and recipes, but not much of it fits with Slimming World and when you take in your taster dishes to a meeting, which have cream and cheese and bacon, don't be surprised when everyone gasps!

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Oh my goodness that's exactly what I do I get to 7-9lbs and that it I don't loss anymore and I start to gain it back and more, I've been like this for 3 years always losing and gaining the same 7lbs I just thought it was me not having enough will power. It was about 3 years ago I started to feel odd and was told I was having issyses with my sugar levels. Maybe I do need to go low carb then, as everytime I do SW my blood sugars go up

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I can say is I've finally lost more weight paying attention to my blood sugar than I ever did doing a low cal diet. I could maintain weight on a strict 1000 cals a day. I now believe it was just the wrong 1000 cals!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been accused of all sorts when I did not lose weight on 'proper' diets - cheating, lying - gorging was always used with such relish, usually at a time when I was feeling that death would be better than trying to keep on with the program as laid down.
It is even in my notes at the surgery 'claims that diets don't work' along with 'resists advice on weight loss' - well I would, wouldn't I?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness that's exactly what I do I get to 7-9lbs and that it I don't loss anymore and I start to gain it back and more, I've been like this for 3 years always losing and gaining the same 7lbs I just thought it was me not having enough will power. It was about 3 years ago I started to feel odd and was told I was having issyses with my sugar levels. Maybe I do need to go low carb then, as everytime I do SW my blood sugars go up

I KNOW that the low fat calorie controlled diet that forms the basis of practically all slimming club advice doesn't work for me. I know becuase I'd been doing it very strictly for the months before I was diagnosed. I too have yo'yod for years with a low fat diet.
I made the switch ot LCHF , I've lost nearly 5 stones, have no desire at all to eat carbs and no hunger pangs either. My blood sugars are down to near normal levels form a horrendous starting point.

Try low carb and you won't look back