Help needed for a diabetic birthday cake

cosmic82

Hi all,

My Mother-in-Law recently discovered she has type 2 diabetes, it's really upset her as she's got a number of other health problems so she's just fed up with it all.
Anyhow, it's her birthday at the weekend and we would like to try and convince her that it's not the end of the world by appealing to her (major) sweet tooth - so looking for recipes for a diabetic birthday cake?
I've noticed sugar substitutes in the supermarket - is it possible to use these and bake a cake in the tradititional way and use a sugar free jam for the filling? What about icing?

Thanks,

C

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully there are some members into baking. You could use Splenda instead of sugar, Splenda has only 0.5 gm carb per teaspoon. Sugar free jams sometimes have polyols in them which can have unfortunate effects on the tummy ! :shock:

A normal cake would not do much harm if she eats a small slice at a time.

jaykay

I think I would probably go for a normal cake recipe but maybe one that used a ratio of ground almonds instead of flour and swap sugar for Splenda and just have a small slice. Sorry, don't really bake now but there should be plenty of recipes around. Oh, and fill with cream and fresh fruit-just better for us poor, hard done by diabetics :lol: ( My hubbie always moans about me having cream for 'health' reasons, only 'cos he's jealous-he's got high cholesterol!)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This site has a number of Low Carb Cake Recipes of which some may be suitable, not too sure about Icing though......... :( It is an American site however many members have used the recipes with a little adaptation and ingenuity,

Enjoy....... :D

http://www.lowcarb-recipes.net/recipes/Dessert/Cake/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
+There are 2 sites that I know of where you might be able to buy a suitable cake." Low carb Megastore" or "Avidlite". I find them pricey, but for special occasions....
Alternatively you could look at recipes for Torte di Sanantiago. this is a Spsnish almond cake, where you can replace the sugar in the recipe with Splenda. There's no flour in it. I make it sometimes with coffee flavoring and a topping of cream cheese beaten up with double cream. A little almond essence can go in to that too.

Hana