help please. son aged 10 high sugars. but not diagnosed

sinead2016

Hi all

I'm asking for advice. My son is constantly drinking and running to the loo. Bed wetting too. Complaining of feeling shaky and dizzy at times and asking for food to take it away. Grumpy at times. Seems to be eating all the time but no weight gain.

I became suspicious ando started to test him. 14.2/ 9.7/ 11.1 all in one evening. Can this be normal

Reactions: SWUSA_

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Given symptoms of diabetes and high blood sugars i would take him straight to A&E to be checked out.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I agree with Edan. Take him to the doctor as soon as you can get in and let them know what his blood glucose readings have been. What have his readings been at his well child check ups?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I'm asking for advice. My son is constantly drinking and running to the loo. Bed wetting too. Complaining of feeling shaky and dizzy at times and asking for food to take it away. Grumpy at times. Seems to be eating all the time but no weight gain.

I became suspicious ando started to test him. 14.2/ 9.7/ 11.1 all in one evening. Can this be normal

These are all classic symptoms.. I agree with the above. The lad needs to see a doctor.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He was 7.2 this morning and keytones were 0.4

Booking an emergency appointment this morning. Thanks all. Very worried

You're doing the right thing. It's best he's seen as soon as possible.

Wishing him and you all the best.

Let us know how you get on.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely sounds like diabetes, so getting him in as soon as is best.....lets us know how you get on...

sinead2016

Been to the doc and they tested his pee. No sugars and no keytones. And did a prickly test which was 5.2 so we've been sent home

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been to the doc and they tested his pee. No sugars and no keytones. And did a prickly test which was 5.2 so we've been sent home

Well, good news then, but did they give you any reason for the higher readings you had? Or for the way he's feeling?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Keep an eye on him and go back if you're still concerned. If you got those high readings earlier, then it might be worthwhile doing a few random checks, especially 2 hours after food.

I hope he's ok. It could just be one of those things, but not having a reason must be frustrating. As a mum myself, all I can say is trust your instinct and go back if you feel things aren't right.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Take him to the opticians as they too can tell.
If your GP is right then it can only help ease your fears.

Wishing you all the very best

Tony