Help Please

Lisa16

My mum has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and is struggling. Due to disabilities and her age 80+ she is rarely able to cook a meal from scratch, especially when she is not well, currently has a chest infection.
I'm not much help to her as I live 200+ miles away :(
Does anyone one know of any reputable company that do "ready meals" especially for diabetics, that she could have delivered and in her freezer ?

Lisa16

Welcome @Lisa16 :)

Is your mum on any meds?
Hi and thanks for the welcome :) the doctor did put her on tabs sorry don't know the name but they reacted badly to her so her her doctor has told me they will need to treat her via diet :( she is getting really down about this as she just can't cope so I am trying to find an easy solution for her.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, maybe have a look at Wiltshire Farm foods - the one on the tv adverts. The meals do show details of carbs etc. With careful selection you can choose some suitable ones without going too low/high carb. For snacking maybe a stock of mini cheese sticks.

And get the doctor to try mum on the slow release Metformin - much gentler on the tum!

Reactions: SimonCrox

Lisa16

Hi, maybe have a look at Wiltshire Farm foods - the one on the tv adverts. The meals do show details of carbs etc. With careful selection you can choose some suitable ones without going too low/high carb. For snacking maybe a stock of mini cheese sticks.

And get the doctor to try mum on the slow release Metformin - much gentler on the tum!

Thank you, I will try to speak to the doctor when she has recovered from her chest infection :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and thanks for the welcome :) the doctor did put her on tabs sorry don't know the name but they reacted badly to her so her her doctor has told me they will need to treat her via diet :( she is getting really down about this as she just can't cope so I am trying to find an easy solution for her.

The tablets could possibly be Metformin which can cause an upset tummy. But there is a version which is less likely to do that. You could ask the doctor for more information.

Tagging @daisy1 for some basic info.

Another option is getting a supermarket home delivery of suitable meals to her address.

SimonCrox

Totally agree with above re food; I am not paid by Wiltshire farm foods, but they have an extensive catalogue with food marked as suitable for diabetic folk etc. One orders a week's supply and they deliver. I think they cover the whole of the UK.
Choice of diabetes tablets is interesting; one would avoid sulphonylureas cos of risk of hypo if does not eat. metformin is a good choice if kidneys OK and not skinny; Gliptins good choice also
If your Mum has a bad chest, one needs to be a bit wary of being given steroids for her chest which might help the chest a bit but can put the glucose levels sky high
If she is frail, she ought to be considered for vitamin D plus / minus calcium
Best wishes

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
those protein rolls at LIDL are a good choice instead of ordinary bread. if they are frozen after being cut in the pieces one need for a meal... she will not get much carbs when having those with cheese or meat on and butter for breakfast, that is if she can chew them... bacon and eggs are also a good non carb choice and avocadoes if she likes those...
if she eats a breakfast without carbs, then she is 1/3 of the way... high fat greek yoghurt is also a good choice... one can put some sugarfree jam on top if one needs a bit more taste...

she should try not to eat bread but meat sausages and cheese and vegetables..boiled vegetables maybe with butter can be okay and eggs

if she misses fruit then berries are the better choice

the main foods to avoid is of cause sugar all grains , corn , rice and potatoes and pastaes... and fruit and all cake and sweets..
85-90 % dark chokolate is okay in smaller doses... just to give you some idea of which foods to buy for her to have in her cupboard or freezer for when you are not around

Last edited:

SimonCrox

Older folk might need a more straightforward diet; the Nutrition Advisory Group for Elderly (NAGE) of the British Dietetic Association (BDA) do (or did) big print, clear picture appropriate diet guides for older folk and one used to be able to download from internet.

Reactions: Freema

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Older folk might need a more straightforward diet; the Nutrition Advisory Group for Elderly (NAGE) of the British Dietetic Association (BDA) do (or did) big print, clear picture appropriate diet guides for older folk and one used to be able to download from internet.
I would be wary of any diet advice from the BDA as they promote the (in)famous Eatwell Plate.

Reactions: Ceebee2 and Freema

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. M&S do a very good range of meals called 'Balanced Carb' which are quite low carb and tasty. They may not deliver but worth knowing about. Yes, do suggest trying Metformin (SR) to the GP?

Reactions: Freema

Lisa16

those protein rolls at LIDL are a good choice instead of ordinary bread. if they are frozen after being cut in the pieces one need for a meal... she will mot get much carbs when having chose with cheese or meat on and butter for breakfast , that is if she can chew them... bacon and eggs are also a good non carb choice and avocadoes if she likes those...
if she eats a breakfast without carbs, then she is 1/3 of the way... high fat greek yoghurt is also a good choice... one can put some sugarfree jam on top if one needs a bit more taste...

she should try not to eat bread but meat sausages and cheese .. and vegetables..boiled vegetables can be okay

the main foods to avoid is of cause sugar all grains , corn , rice and potatoes and pastaes... and fruit and all cake and sweets..
85-90 % dark chokolate is okay in smaller doses... just to give you some idea of which foods to buy for her to have in her cupboard or freezer for when you are not around

The tablets the doctor put her on was Metabet
Very interested in the protein rolls at Lidl - can you let me know what the packet looks like so I can source these please

Lisa16

Totally agree with above re food; I am not paid by Wiltshire farm foods, but they have an extensive catalogue with food marked as suitable for diabetic folk etc. One orders a week's supply and they deliver. I think they cover the whole of the UK.
Choice of diabetes tablets is interesting; one would avoid sulphonylureas cos of risk of hypo if does not eat. metformin is a good choice if kidneys OK and not skinny; Gliptins good choice also
If your Mum has a bad chest, one needs to be a bit wary of being given steroids for her chest which might help the chest a bit but can put the glucose levels sky high
If she is frail, she ought to be considered for vitamin D plus / minus calcium
Best wishes
Going to request a catalog from Wiltshire, bit concerned now as the doctors have put mum on steroids to clear her chest infection and also don't seem to be helping her !!

Shouldn't she have to wear something that tells everyone she is diabetic ?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

My mum has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and is struggling. Due to disabilities and her age 80+ she is rarely able to cook a meal from scratch, especially when she is not well, currently has a chest infection.
I'm not much help to her as I live 200+ miles away :(
Does anyone one know of any reputable company that do "ready meals" especially for diabetics, that she could have delivered and in her freezer ?
Do you think your mother would benefit from a home carer popping in each day?

Reactions: AM1874

SimonCrox

Pity that the Metabet (long acting metformin) upset her.
Agree could be re-assessed for help at home.
Home care from social services will help with food preparation, washing and dressing in our area; supervision of medication is variable. Will not help with tidying and cleaning
Regarding BDA and diets, I take the point of Daibell; but types of diabetes and diabetic folk differ. Hence a diet for an athletic youngster with T1DM will probably be different from an older person with T2DM, frailty and other conditions impacting on life. But yes, one should examine all information given to see if reliable.
best wishes

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The tablets the doctor put her on was Metabet
Very interested in the protein rolls at Lidl - can you let me know what the packet looks like so I can source these please

the LIDL rolls are freshly baked rolls made every day, most Lidl´s have them sometimes in small sizes and other time in size 130 grams... I love them myself... they taste a little different than do more wheat based bread. but are realy good with cheese or meat ...and even with a good olive oil or coconut oil on instead of butter a side bread for salats... I like to toast them too... cut them in 3-4 pieces as they are really calorie dense... maybe you yourself would like them...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
she is a type 2 diabetic and because of that she is not in the group that can from moment to moment go dangerously ow in blood glucose, so she does not need a sign that she has diabtes, at least not untill if and when she is put on insuline... the main problem in type 2 is that the blood glucose can´t seem to get low easily.. untill insuline affecting medication in added.. but normally that is not needed initially where most type 2´s have a many times raised level of insuline and not a lack of it... the main problem is in type 2 is that one cells will not accept ones insuline effectively, it is a totally different matter for type 1´s that do not produce insuline themselves anylonger

Reactions: ziggy_w

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lisa16

Hello Lisa and welcome to the Forum :) To help you to help your Mother, here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, which we give to new members. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.