Help with benefits

Hannah Hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope someone could help me. I am a 25 year old with type 1 diabetes. I am currently off work on long term sick (receiving ssp) due to postural hypotension are there any benefits that I could claim as me and my partner are really struggling. We have already tried claiming for working tax credits and housing benefit but they are both saying we are still earning too much. Desperately needing help :( Many Thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I would try ringing the benefit enquiry line and see if they can help

Hannah Hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you totsy for your reply, unfortunately I have tried that also but they only mentioned the previous I mentioned

Adele99

For PIP you need to have either personal care needs eg help with bathing/showering/ cooking a meal from scratch or mobility needs. PIP has repalced DLA for new claims and there are lengthy dealys ie 6 to 9 months in claims being processed, and decided. So it won't be a quick cashflow remedy even if awarded. Best to get professional help from CAB or a Welfare advisor if making a claim as forms are complicated.

If and when your SSP runs out you can make a claim for ESA.

If HB, council Tax allowance and WTC are already ruled out due to exising earnings being too high, only option is to cut back drastically on your spending , it's amazing how much we spend on things we don't really need.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well.... i heard many type 1 diabetics do get PIP. If you suffer from regular hypos, they can come on at any time. If you have a hypo, you cant sit, stand, talk...walk. You cant have a person caring for you at all times. PIP is not means tested. You do not need to be a person who needs to be showered, bathed or cooked for. You can still have mobility. The application would purely go on when you have a hypo and how the hypo affects you after. Some people feel the effects of a hypo for a fairly long period after. A hypo tends to affect your blood sugar levels for many hours after leaving a person really exhausted. I read an article and the application is based upon how you complete their questionairre and what your dr writes in your report.
If you have any complications, list them. State how they affect your daily life...sight problems, neuropathy pain etc
If people with HIV who live perfectly normal healthy lives get PIP, then i dont see why a type 1 could not apply and get it!!!

Good luck with your application

Adele99

Unless hypos are severe , frequent and the person has little advance awareness of them, and need help to deal with them, It's unlikely they'll be a warded PIP on that 'need' alone. Easier to get an award for achild I guess. Otherwise every type 1 diabetic would be claiming and receivng it. Care needs can be needing prompts to do something like remembering to take your insulin etc, and can comprise of a few minutes care several times a day. PIP is awarded not so much on the actual diagnosis or condition but on how it affects an individual. The OP may not be able to safely take a shower or bath unattended due to postural hypotension , which can be aggravated in AN by the heat in the bathroom when having a simple shower.

which is why I said they should get professional help to fill out the form.

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
When your sick pay runs out and you claim ESA make another claim for housing benefit. There is no limit to how many times you can apply. I would also suggest trying the ready reckoner on line if your local authority had one on their website, if not try another authority, we all use the same rules (I work in housing benefits) Hope things work out for you