Help with choosing blood glucose meter

Illia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!)
I'm interested in buying Freestyle Optium Neo. What can You say about it? IS IT ACCURATE? What You like/dislike in it?
Thanks in advance)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!)
I'm interested in buying Freestyle Optium Neo. What can You say about it? IS IT ACCURATE? What You like/dislike in it?
Thanks in advance)
It would be wise to run the idea past your diabetologist and GP before purchasing anything.

Although the majority of meters can be picked up for free, the strips cannot. There is a lot of variability in the pricing of strips, and if you find that the Freestyle Optium Neo strips cost more than your current ones - your GP might be reluctant to prescribe them for cost reasons.

Reactions: tircoed

Illia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be wise to run the idea past your diabetologist and GP before purchasing anything.

Although the majority of meters can be picked up for free, the strips cannot. There is a lot of variability in the pricing of strips, and if you find that the Freestyle Optium Neo strips cost more than your current ones - your GP might be reluctant to prescribe them for cost reasons.
Unfortunately, I can't get meter for free. I live in Ukraine and have to buy both meter and test strips. I have found great sale for Freestyle Optima test strips and now am thinking to buy or not meter for them.
I have read many nice and dissatisfied reviews about Optium Neo and now not sure about buying it...
Have You heard something about Optium meter? It's older but reviews seems to be better than Neo meter...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, I can't get meter for free. I live in Ukraine and have to buy both meter and test strips. I have found great sale for Freestyle Optima test strips and now am thinking to buy or not meter for them.
I have read many nice and dissatisfied reviews about Optium Neo and now not sure about buying it...
Have You heard something about Optium meter? It's older but reviews seems to be better than Neo meter...
Apologies, my comment was based on the assumption that you were in the UK and would have had your test strips paid for by the NHS. Excuse my ignorance.

I'm afraid I have no experience on either of the meters you have mentioned, sorry I cannot help. Maybe the link below will be of some use:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/abbott-freestyle-optium-neo.html

Reactions: Illia

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using my Optium Xceed for 12 years and am very happy with it, I have the Neo as a back up meter though I don't use all the bits it has, I have to say I do prefer the Optium as it has a button to light the screen at night which the Neo doesn't have.

Illia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using my Optium Xceed for 12 years and am very happy with it, I have the Neo as a back up meter though I don't use all the bits it has, I have to say I do prefer the Optium as it has a button to light the screen at night which the Neo doesn't have.
Thank You very much! What would You say about it's accuracy compared to other meters?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank You very much! What would You say about it's accuracy compared to other meters?

Hi Illia,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I think its about as accurate as it can be........ as it normally reads the same average as my hbA1c, so I'm very happy with it.........I did at one time have another meter for a few days but never believed the readings as they were so much higher, had I gone by them I would have overdosed on my Insulin.
I know lots of people have a few meters and compare readings from them, I don't think this is useful but if you can afford it and want to waste money then who am I to stop their fun........I say pick your meter and stick with it.

SKB_9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the optimum neo and I like it - that being said, I'm 10 weeks diagnosed and I haven't anything to compare it to. My consultant was impressed that the nurse gave me this one though, he said it was a good one. The only thing that annoys me is that if you do not apply enough blood (it doesn't need much but as I said, I'm new) you get an error and have to start again with a new strip. I'm getting better at this though!