Help

zoekearns06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ive diabetic for many years I really struggle to get control and I really struggle to test my sugars I know I should but I hate been diabetic I know I can do it as did when was pregnant but now I find it sooo hard
Does anyone have any advice to help me get out of this bad circle I'm in and try and gain control of my life again I'm on a insulin pump as well

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @zoekearns06 :)

I hate being diabetic too - viciously and utterly hate it. But my way of thinking is that if you don't test and don't control the diabetes you're letting it win.

There's no cure yet but you can keep the evil beast in its cage by testing and controlling on a daily basis.

The alternative is to,give in and let it trample all over your life. Don't let it. X

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @zoekearns ,

Here's a question for you, if you had control whilst pregnant and now you don't, what was motivating you at that time?

Reactions: Freema and azure

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree with @azure - by not managing it I would be letting my type 1 take over my life so by testing and bolusing I keep it in its cage and I can carry on as normal. I have a daughter so she is my motivation for staying healthy. Why do you think you have gotten into this bad cycle ?

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was in the same situation once upon a time. My dn put me on courses where I met other diabetics. It helped me loads and gave me encouragement. Speak to your dn x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
None of us like having type 1 diabetes but it is what it is and we have to do our best to control it.

I'd start with the basics, basal testing then move on to looking at things like your insulin-to-carb ratios, if you've not got a copy of the book Pumping Insulin then I'd seriously consider purchasing it.

For motivation, seeing your children grow-up and for them to have children is motivation enough for most of us, but if you find it all too much then do seek professional help from your diabetes care team, good luck @zoekearns06

Gordon F

The biggest issue i have always faced is knowing in advance my blood sugars will be high and being disappointed in myself. The biggest change to my vicious circle that i made was to write it all down. Every single blood sugar result. Wrote down my carbs and insulin taken. Its a visual reference so i can check and compare my scores and try to better them. So far its working, it is a bit time consuming but so is being in hospital ill. It might not be the answer you want but its worked for me. T1 for 17yrs..