Help!!!

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was diagnosed as pre diabetic in March. I was only 1 away from being classed at type 2. I was given a leaflet told to buy a book and come back in 6 months . Since then I've lost nearly 2 stone but for the last week I've not felt right. Shaky , can't concentrate at times and really tired. I went to see the diabetes nurse who told me I don't know why your seeing me when your not diabetic and you shouldn't be feeling like that. My blood sugar was 7.3 , 4 hours after eating. She asked if I was depressed!!! I'm not for the record I just don't feel right , and I'm now even more confused.

lindisfel

Expert
I was diagnosed as pre diabetic in March. I was only 1 away from being classed at type 2. I was given a leaflet told to buy a book and come back in 6 months . Since then I've lost nearly 2 stone but for the last week I've not felt right. Shaky , can't concentrate at times and really tired. I went to see the diabetes nurse who told me I don't know why your seeing me when your not diabetic and you shouldn't be feeling like that. My blood sugar was 7.3 , 4 hours after eating. She asked if I was depressed!!! I'm not for the record I just don't feel right , and I'm now even more confused.
Hi Suzy, Perhaps try adding some coconut fat to help your brain work better. Are you on a low carb good fats diet? Drugs like statins can stop your brain working properly. regards Derek

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

How did you lose your weight?
7.3 is quite high 4 hours after, what are your numbers usually like before and 2 hours after eating.
Please tell us a bit more about your situation so readers might be able to respond with some suggestions.
Wish you well.

Reactions: Suzypuzy and dbr10

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
How did you lose your weight?
7.3 is quite high 4 hours after, what are your numbers usually like before and 2 hours after eating.
Please tell us a bit more about your situation so readers might be able to respond with some suggestions.
Wish you well.
I've just cut down on carbs, And cut out cakes , sweets, crisps and biscuits. probably done it all wrong but I've eaten a lot of plain chicken, grilled steaks , bacon , eggs, Salads , veg and berries. Soya yoghurt , low fat jelly. I now have 3 meals a day . I do have a couple of ruch tea biscuits with a cup of tea in the evening. I'm not on any medication and I don't check my blood. I do have low iron levels which can make me feel tired. I'm now debating whether to get a meter to check my blood. The nurse just made me feel stupid.

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Suzy, Perhaps try adding some coconut fat to help your brain work better. Are you on a low carb good fats diet? Drugs like statins can stop your brain working properly. regards Derek
I will get some coconut fats , I normally use fry light. Have soya yoghurt and skimmed milk in tea. I don't take any medication for the pre diabetes , just iron tablets for really low iron levels.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just cut down on carbs, And cut out cakes , sweets, crisps and biscuits. probably done it all wrong but I've eaten a lot of plain chicken, grilled steaks , bacon , eggs, Salads , veg and berries. Soya yoghurt , low fat jelly. I now have 3 meals a day . I do have a couple of ruch tea biscuits with a cup of tea in the evening. I'm not on any medication and I don't check my blood. I do have low iron levels which can make me feel tired. I'm now debating whether to get a meter to check my blood. The nurse just made me feel stupid.

Sounds to me you are doing a lot right.
Don't let a stupid nurse get in the way of you looking after yourself. Testing your bloods does give you an insight to how you react to certain foods.... and if you go too high.... or too low... both of which are not great places to be.

Reactions: Suzypuzy

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hmm. More likely to be her. Try getting a meter and check your levels before and 2 hours after meals.
Skimmed milk might be sweetened. Try cream. It breaks down more slowly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be that your fat intake is too low.
It seems all wrong after the brainwashing about fats being bad, but our brains are lipids, our nerves have a fatty coating to act as insulation so they carry the signals well - our hormones are made from fatty acids, even our gut relies on fatty digestive juices to keep it happy. Fats are essential.
When I was diagnosed I concentrated on getting my blood glucose levels down and ate saturated fats - my cholesterol dropped. The various ratios became good or ideal. I lost weight.
Biscuits and skimmed milk would not be on my menu.
I use groundnut oil for frying if I have no fat from meat cooking left over.
There is cream in my coffee.
I do take a vitamin and mineral tablet a couple of times a week just to counter any deficiency.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

maybe you should change the low fat jelly to macadamia nuts they are healthy and dont raise blood glucose at all.

I think most of your food choices are brilliant .. all kinds of meat and salats and berries are amazing foods to avoid high spiking blood glucose... the jelly is really bad though..

when loosing a lot we can become exhausted from loosing very fast ... the brain is build by almost pure fats and runs by using glucose... the body spares some glucose for the brain and rest of the body uses the fat as fuel while banting, but when our brain is used to using glucose from blood really easily then maybe it takes some time before the body and brain fully adapt to a totally changed eating style... you could make a few exceptions so that you f.x. save your jelly to right before you know you will exercise hard ... then you know you´ll use the blood glucose right after eating it.. but never eat much of those jellies they are not good for a pre-diabetic person at all

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzypuzy

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It could be that your fat intake is too low.
It seems all wrong after the brainwashing about fats being bad, but our brains are lipids, our nerves have a fatty coating to act as insulation so they carry the signals well - our hormones are made from fatty acids, even our gut relies on fatty digestive juices to keep it happy. Fats are essential.
When I was diagnosed I concentrated on getting my blood glucose levels down and ate saturated fats - my cholesterol dropped. The various ratios became good or ideal. I lost weight.
Biscuits and skimmed milk would not be on my menu.
I use groundnut oil for frying if I have no fat from meat cooking left over.
There is cream in my coffee.
I do take a vitamin and mineral tablet a couple of times a week just to counter any deficiency.
Thank you , oh gosh it's all a bit confusing at times, you think your doing good, suppose it's all trail and error. I've always had skimmed milk as I'm not over keen on other milks.

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hmm. More likely to be her. Try getting a meter and check your levels before and 2 hours after meals.
Skimmed milk might be sweetened. Try cream. It breaks down more slowly.
Thank you I will pop out and grab a meter tomorrow and keep an eye on my levels.

Reactions: hankjam

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no reason not to use Skimmed Milk if that is what you prefer. You can easily get the necessary good fats from other parts of your diet. The difference in Carbohydrate content between Skimmed & Full Fat Milk is minuscule so not worth worrying about.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like skimmed milk because it should be blue.
Yes - blue. When you remove the fats the result is a very pale blue fluid, but because people think it ought to be white, things are added to make it look like milk again.

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
maybe you should change the low fat jelly to macadamia nuts they are healthy and dont raise blood glucose at all.

I think most of your food choices are brilliant .. all kinds of meat and salats and berries are amazing foods to avoid high spiking blood glucose... the jelly is really bad though..

when loosing a lot we can become exhausted from loosing very fast ... the brain is build by almost pure fats and runs by using glucose... the body spares some glucose for the brain and rest of the body uses the fat as fuel while banting, but when our brain is used to using glucose from blood really easily then maybe it takes some time before the body and brain fully adapt to a totally changed eating style... you could make a few exceptions so that you f.x. save your jelly to right before you know you will exercise hard ... then you know you´ll use the blood glucose right aafter eating it.. but never eat much of those jellies they are not good for a pre-diabetic person at all
Right then jellies are the window!!! I have always had a sweet tooth and it's so hard at times. I work in a cafe and I'm surrounded by temptation. Will definitely swap the jelly for some nuts . Are cashew nuts ok?.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right then jellies are the window!!! I have always had a sweet tooth and it's so hard at times. I work in a cafe and I'm surrounded by temptation. Will definitely swap the jelly for some nuts . Are cashew nuts ok?.

cashews have one of the higher carb contents... they are quite sweet. Walnuts, almonds or macadamia are lower. I break me teeth on macadamia so it's almonds and walnuts for me.

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sounds to me you are doing a lot right.
Don't let a stupid nurse get in the way of you looking after yourself. Testing your bloods does give you an insight to how you react to certain foods.... and if you go too high.... or too low... both of which are not great places to be.
Thank you, might sound strange but sometimes when I'm at work before lunch , I'm running around really busy, not having time to even grab a drink of water I start to feel funny. So if I got a meter I would be able to work out why I'm feeling like that. Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have low iron levels which can make me feel tired. I'm now debating whether to get a meter to check my blood.

Low iron levels means it is possible, if not likely, that when you had your HbA1c diagnosis test at 1 point under the type 2 threshold, the results were inaccurate. The HbA1c measures glucose in your haemoglobin red blood cells, averaging them over the previous 2 to 3 months. When someone has iron deficient anaemia their red blood cells are abnormal and this test is not always applicable. The test normally used in these cases is a Fructosamine test. However, these tests are not normally done routinely because there are so few labs that can process them and they are more expensive.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-test.html (near the bottom)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should never be too busy to look after yourself - when you become dehydrated you can make mistakes as it can cause confusion. By the time you are feeling thirsty you require time to recover, so - particularly in the hot weather time yourself, take a drink regularly.
It might take a minute from your schedule but it could take a lot longer than that to clear up if you were to faint and drop what you might be carrying or even just get an order muddled up.

I just noticed that you wrote low fat jelly - I had read it as low sugar jelly.
The low sugar jellies are a great way to make a little go a long way - I make up two sachets with a small amount of water then add Greek yoghurt when it has cooled. I whip it to make it frothy.
What is low fat jelly anyway?
Jelly and gelatine powder is protein.

Last edited:

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You should never be too busy to look after yourself - when you become dehydrated you can make mistakes as it can cause confusion. By the time you are feeling thirsty you require time to recover, so - particularly in the hot weather time yourself, take a drink regularly.
It might take a minute from your schedule but it could take a lot longer than that to clear up if you were to faint and drop what you might be carrying or even just get an order muddled up.

I just noticed that you wrote low fat jelly - I had read it as low sugar jelly.
The low sugar jellies are a great way to make a little go a long way - I make up two sachets with a small amount of water then add Greek yoghurt when it has cooled. I whip it to make it frothy.
What is low fat jelly anyway?
Jelly and gelatine powder is protein.
Your right , I get to work and do myself a nice glass of iced water. Then we get so many customers that I just never get the chance to have more then a sip..
And my mistake the jellies are no added sugar jelly by Hartley. I looked at the ingredients and thought they looked ok.

Suzypuzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Low iron levels means it is possible, if not likely, that when you had your HbA1c diagnosis test at 1 point under the type 2 threshold, the results were inaccurate. The HbA1c measures glucose in your haemoglobin red blood cells, averaging them over the previous 2 to 3 months. When someone has iron deficient anaemia their red blood cells are abnormal and this test is not always applicable. The test normally used in these cases is a Fructosamine test. However, these tests are not normally done routinely because there are so few labs that can process them and they are more expensive.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-test.html (near the bottom)
That's interesting. I think I'm gonna go back and see if they will do another blood test . I only went to the Drs because I had a rash on my face and ended up with low iron, blood cells too compact and pre diabetes.