Help

Ajcarterfs

my girlfriend has just been diagnosed with type 2 and she is struggling to find things to eat, her doctor has said brown and whole grain everything. She is already fed up of this and as a result has stopped eating
What can she eat that's quick and easy please?..

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. Depends what your girlfriend normally eats and what her blood sugar levels are like.
I eat Lidl high-protein rolls, half at a time, with cheese or peanut butter, toasted or fresh, as a snack. Or a mug cake (search forum for recipe.) But I know that's ok for me because my meter says so. We need a bit more info. Would your girlfriend consider joining the forum herself?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my girlfriend has just been diagnosed with type 2 and she is struggling to find things to eat, her doctor has said brown and whole grain everything. She is already fed up of this and as a result has stopped eating

To be honest, Ajcarterfs, it could be more helpful if you could tell us some of the things she likes to eat, then we could maybe make suggests she already enjoys?

As a T2, sure I have given up some things from my diet that I used to eat, but I am still left with loads and loads of delicious option.

Does your girlfriend eat meat, as opposed to being veggie?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Don't know her eating habits but if she's a meat eater nothing like a nice big steak with a little bit of garlic and salt. It has minimal affect on my BG levels and keeps me full :)

Ajcarterfs

To be honest, Ajcarterfs, it could be more helpful if you could tell us some of the things she likes to eat, then we could maybe make suggests she already enjoys?

As a T2, sure I have given up some things from my diet that I used to eat, but I am still left with loads and loads of delicious option.

Does your girlfriend eat meat, as opposed to being veggie?
Yes she's a meat eater, she enjoys most things but is allergic to apple and egg

Reactions: DCUKMod

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes she's a meat eater, she enjoys most things but is allergic to apple and egg

She can eat any meat she likes, beef, lamb, chicken, pork, turkey, whatever
She can eat any sort of fish or shell fish
She can eat most (but not all) vegetables. (avoiding most root vegetables for now)
She can eat salads, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers
She can use olive oil as a dressing, or real mayonnaise such as Hellmans Real Mayo
She can have bacon
She can have sausages (but best stick to the very high meat content ones such as Hecks)
She can eat any dairy foods she likes - butter, cheese, full fat yogurts

Basically, it is carbohydrate that is the problem, especially bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, breakfast cereals and flour (including all the wholemeal varieties) We also need to be very careful with fruit and milk. All carbs turn to glucose once inside the system, so need to be reduced.

Being diabetic doesn't mean she has to starve herself. I suggest she buys herself a blood glucose meter and starts to test herself at home. Testing before and after meals (2 hours after first bite) will show her what that meal has done to her levels and how her body has reacted, giving her a chance to change some of her choices.

This forum is an excellent place to learn, and we can provide links to other websites that may help.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is brown bread and whole grain cereals ok? I don't want to cut it out altogether

Have you got your own meter? The only way you will know what these, and any food, does to your levels is by testing before and after meals. Otherwise you are working blind. We all have different tolerances to different carbs, but wholegrain bread and cereals have the same carbohydrate content as the white varieties. You may be able to tolerate an odd slice of bread, or you may not. A meter will tell you. Personally, I cannot manage any bread at all and struggle with all grains. But that is me.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is brown bread and whole grain cereals ok? I don't want to cut it out altogether
Bread and cereals raise your blood sugar levels, so are best avoided. Get a blood glucose meter and check before eating and two hours afterwards. You will soon find which foods don't raise your blood sugars excessively.