Help

EmmaChambers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with T2 in June & was advised by my to diet. So I did plus started swimming 3 times a week. By my 3 month check up I’d lost 4lbs - absolutely gutted. Had my hbc1 thingy checked & it came back at 5.9. My gp says great you don’t have diabetes anymore. What???? I have a machine and regularly check my bs which is mainly between 10 & 18. I told this to my gp and she wasn’t fussed said just to keep up the diet. Do I need a 2nd opinion? I’m so confused

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T2 in June & was advised by my to diet. So I did plus started swimming 3 times a week. By my 3 month check up I’d lost 4lbs - absolutely gutted. Had my hbc1 thingy checked & it came back at 5.9. My gp says great you don’t have diabetes anymore. What???? I have a machine and regularly check my bs which is mainly between 10 & 18. I told this to my gp and she wasn’t fussed said just to keep up the diet. Do I need a 2nd opinion? I’m so confused

A hba1c of 5.9% equates to an average blood sugar of 6.8 mmol.

You could have an average blood sugar of 6.8 and still see a fair few readings over 10. When are you testing and seeing levels between 10-18? How frequently are you testing?

Do you have any health conditions that would make the hba1c unreliable, anything that would mean your red blood cells are unusually short lived like anaemia? If so, it might be worth seeking a fructosamine test as an alternative to hba1c.

Do you take any other medications or supplements? Vitamin E, Ribavirin, interferon-alpha can cause falsely low hba1c results.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor was a little generous saying you don't have diabetes anymore. It takes a little more than one HbA1c to say this.
Your GP should have taken note of your meter readings. Did you show her your meter, or print off some of your records?

The problem with the HbA1c is it is an average measurement and doesn't take account of the roller coaster swings.

The times you are testing are important - fasting? Before all meals? 2 hours after first bite? Bedtimes? When? Are these very high levels just occasionally or daily?

EmmaChambers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies. I test 2 hrs before & after meals as I’m trying to work out what I can and can’t eat. These readings are daily. On a good day I can have a reading in the 9’s. The only meds’ I’m on are omeprazole , ramipril for high bp. I’m just a bit freaked out tbh plus I had the retinopathy test that came back positive and have had a large necrobiosis lipida diabetica on my shin for over 30 years & also suffered with hidrentitis supertvia for the same period.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I test 2 hrs before & after meals as I’m trying to work out what I can and can’t eat. These readings are daily. On a good day I can have a reading in the 9’s. The only meds’ I’m on are omeprazole , ramipril for high bp. I’m just a bit freaked out tbh plus I had the retinopathy test that came back positive and have had a large necrobiosis lipida diabetica on my shin for over 30 years & also suffered with hidrentitis supertvia for the same period.

Goodness, so you are high before eating in addition to after eating, and on a good day you see a 9, and your HbA1c was 5.9?

Emma, what was your HbA1c when you were diagnosed in June?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It was 8.6

In that case, I suggest your latest HbA1c is inaccurate in some way. There is very little chance that it has dropped to 5.9 since June with those high levels you are seeing from your meter. and no sign of them dropping. If I were you I would be challenging this latest HbA1c by seeing a different doctor or discussing it thoroughly with your nurse. Mistakes can be made at the lab. Whilst it is nice to be told you don't have diabetes, it seems clear to me (and to you) that you do still have diabetes, and your high levels need addressing.

What sort of diet are you following?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I test 2 hrs before & after meals
Do you mind if I nit pick this statement since I find it ambiguous.

Do you test two hours before a meal and immediately afterwards.
Do you test two hours before a meal and two hours afterwards.
Do you test immediately before a meal and two hours afterwards.

Sorry to be picky but it might explain the anomaly.