Helping my mum

Gabby

Hi my mum has been injecting her insulin for a while now however there seems to have been some changes in her health recently and her glucose levels have fluctuated.
The advice that she has been given by the GP is to drop her dose.
The symptoms my mum exhibited were at night and the whole experience has uneased her. She does not feel confident about calculating her dose now .
I need to get a better understanding of how she calculates her dose and am asking for advice on how to go about it?
Is this information/ training normally given at diabetes clinics?
I do not live near my mum and this makes it tricky.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Gabby

Thank you for the prompt info. I forgot to say that my mum is type 2 and whilst the emphasis is on diet and tablets she also has administer insulin once a day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As your Mum is on one injection per day this will be what's called Basal or background insulin which lasts 18 to 24 hours. The problem your Mum had overnight may have been a Hypo where the blood sugar goes too low i.e. below about 4 on the glucose meter. If this is the reason, and I'm guessing a bit, then the GPs advice to drop the dose just a little may well be the right advice. A low-carb diet is always a good approach for diabetics as it keeps blood sugar down and minimises blood sugar swings. Also as the weight comes down so does any insulin resistance due to fat cells and this helps stabilise blood sugar when taking insulin. If your Mum finds using her meter (I assume she has one?) that her blood sugar is regularly into the teens then come back for more guidance. Do come back anyway with any questions.

Gabby

Oh thank you . This sounds like what happened over night. My mum has lost a lot of weight in the last 6 to 12 months ( 2 stone approx). I' m not sure why but perhaps her carb intake has greatly reduced. As an aside she has unfortunately become anaemic, which is currently being investigated and treated with B12 injections.
I am finding this sit e very useful and thank you for your info and support