Herbalife

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, does anyone on here use this as meal replacements? I'm really struggling with food and all meal times so I thought I would try this. Has anyone else on here used this product?

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Other posters on this forum consider it less than ideal. Try searching for previous threads to check out the details.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At a glance - you could eat a meal and have the same amount of carbs as a shake. Personally I'd not bother, as I like real food.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sarah69 What are you struggling with ? Can you give us a clue what you eat and what the problem is ? Is it lack of variety or high BG after food ?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've posted many times about the problems I have with food. I'm not that keen on savoury food, I much prefer sweet. I have a huge problem with chocolate. I rarely cook food because mostly when I've cooked it I can't bear to eat it. I hate the smell of food cooking. So I thought a replacement meal would help.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. I haven't seen your previous posts so was unaware of your problems.
It sounds like a psychological reaction with food and cooking Have you had any help with this ?
If Herbalife is an improvement on what you eat now then it must be worth a try.
Do you test your BG ? if so then see how Herbalife works for you ?

jonasthans

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
i was also recommended to use Herbalife, but i don't believe its effectiveness. is it so magic like its advertisement? i think in stead of using function food, we should do exercise to improve health and have good meal.
if you are using a smartphone, you can use apps for check nutrition which helps you to have meal full of nutrition and healthy.

You can scan a product barcode to see product highlights, both good and bad, and also look up restaurant nutritional information.

Edited by a mod to,remove links.

Last edited by a moderator:

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sarah,

I really battle to eat breakfast so I have Herbalife for breakfast. It's better than nothing. I inject two units of insulin before I drink it and it keeps my blood sugar the same - 6.5

Good luck x

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have been to see a psychologist about this but they didn't seem to think I had a problem. I am seeing a dietician in April so hoping maybe they will be able to help me although I don't think they can.

Both my parents are diabetic and they use Herbalife and it has improved their blood sugar readings.

Reactions: daisyduck

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both my parents are diabetic and they use Herbalife and it has improved their blood sugar readings.
Then I think you have your answer. :) It's worth a try though it's not something I would do myself.

As someone else mentioned a while back I think the huge dose of metformin that you are taking may be causing problems with your appetite and taste buds. It may be worth speaking to your doctor to see if this can be reduced or even dropped eventually. It didn't reduce my BGs my much but it did supress my appetite; so in my case I love it, but I think it may be doing you more harm than good.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then I think you have your answer. :) It's worth a try though it's not something I would do myself.

As someone else mentioned a while back I think the huge dose of metformin that you are taking may be causing problems with your appetite and taste buds. It may be worth speaking to your doctor to see if this can be reduced or even dropped eventually. It didn't reduce my BGs my much but it did supress my appetite; so in my case I love it, but I think it may be doing you more harm than good.

Oh yes. I hadn't thought of that. Metformin made me really sick so I don't take it now.
Is the food aversion new since you have taken Met or is it a long standing problem?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Since being put on 3000mg I've never taken that much, mainly just down to forgetting to take it at lunchtime. I've been on metformin a very long time. The food thing is fairly new, although I've had the problem with chocolate for a long time. I dread to think what my hba1c is! I'm managing to eat 1 hot meal a week.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since being put on 3000mg I've never taken that much, mainly just down to forgetting to take it at lunchtime. I've been on metformin a very long time. The food thing is fairly new, although I've had the problem with chocolate for a long time. I dread to think what my hba1c is! I'm managing to eat 1 hot meal a week.
Well I started with 500mg metformin and then 1000mg and it's certainly affected my taste buds and appetite, even on a low dose.