JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thing is you just got to get out of the house or it becomes a prison.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Well, I certainly escaped the prison today - I took my son to the dentist this morning and this afternoon had to go into town with my brother to have a word with a housing officer to discuss his rent. Total steps over 7000

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I walked about 3 miles today

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unfortunately was badly affected by the heat today so had to cut short walk only 3885 steps today and that was really tough going. Don't know what my BG was doing today as have run out of strips. Had to double up my dose of mestinon (mg medication) just to get out of the prison/house.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why cut corners .Excersise done in the right way can be fun.I do an average of 20,000 steps a day at work,10 mile round trip on commute (push bike).But the day not finished their, After evening meal out on bike again while the evennings are long and have discovered some wonderful places within 10 mile radius that i would have zoomed past in the past in the car

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why cut corners .Excersise done in the right way can be fun.I do an average of 20,000 steps a day at work,10 mile round trip on commute (push bike).But the day not finished their, After evening meal out on bike again while the evennings are long and have discovered some wonderful places within 10 mile radius that i would have zoomed past in the past in the car

Sounds great wish I could be that person again. But if I attempted to do that these. days it would not be fun the most likely out come would be about three months in a hospital ICU on a ventilator, if I'm lucky.

What sounds reasonable for some can be just impossible for others.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
If it's a nice* day consider going for a paddle. The fear of falling in the water will take your mind off the exercise and you will see the countryside from a different perspective. Every now and again, give it a big push and your heart rate will rice nicely. These days you can have sit in kayaks, sit on kayaks, stand up kayaks, Canadian canoes and even Dragon Boats.

6197106171_2f44e9e8bf_z.jpg

* A nice day is one without wind and/or rain

Reactions: 6 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Nice photo makes me nostalgic I have always loved water sports of all kinds.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Yes my bad just done a 15 hour shift before i posted that Note to self engage brain before typing my appoligies

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
1 mile in 10 mins...just about as good as it gets for me, then 1 hour on various weights. I just love it. Add to it the daily gardening and walking and I'm the fittest I've ever been since I was a young boy:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes my bad just done a 15 hour shift before i posted that Note to self engage brain before typing my appoligies
Ah well, I think most of us who post here, in this thread,would love to be more active, but are restricted in one way or another. The main thing being to find ways to be less sedentary. It doesn't need to be 'exercise' in the traditionally accepted way. When I first started out, with the encouragement of others here my 'exercise' was all done from my chair. I progressed to doing circuits of the garden, using the garden furniture as aids. Then followed supermarket staggers using the trolley like a zimmer to hold me up.
Oh, and yes, just like @JohnEGreen says, I do envy people who are able to do more conventional exercise. I still yearn for the days long gone when I was able to run and dance and walk everywhere. Just have to accept that was my padt, but my future will be more sedate forms of activity, because days of hard vigorous exercise are behind me. My glass is half full though, and I am very content with the levels of activity I can achieve most days.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi lovely people, I've walked around Edinburgh all weekend watching shows and up to the castle .
Weather was perfect for it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I must confess I took it easy last week. I did average around 10k steps a day, but usually I do an average of 20k. My excuse is that it was too hot and humid. Will have to get back on track from today.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to take a couple of weeks off, sick.
Last two weeks though I have returned to swimming and aquafit, managing three pool sessions. Also been out and about and increased daily steps, beyond the target set by my activity tracker.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I got an upgrade for my phone last week and my new one has a fitness app. I've been enjoying myself :)
I've hit my 30 minute walking target every day, and today I walked for over 90 minutes. Total step count 11,500

Reactions: Pipp

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just refreshing this thread - I start work experience for the DWP on Monday so today I had a lot of dashing around to do. Total step count: 18,817 :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just refreshing this thread - I start work experience for the DWP on Monday so today I had a lot of dashing around to do. Total step count: 18,817 :)
Thanks @Diamum5972 . Not sure if we are slacking here . Where is everyone.

Think it could be that summer seems to be over.

I have walked in countryside several days this past week. Up hills and diwn dales, despite the wet windy weather. Not as much as I would have liked, because I would have needed flippers not walking shoes.
Hoping to get back to the swimming pool next week.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have not missed a day walking on the local trails for the last three months now. Have bought water proof trousers and jacket and intend to carry on with my walks whatever the weather. Did get soaked through the other day but we found a nice cosy pub to take shelter in. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not missed a day walking on the local trails for the last three months now. Have bought water proof trousers and jacket and intend to carry on with my walks whatever the weather. Did get soaked through the other day but we found a nice cosy pub to take shelter in. :)
Well done, @JohnEGreen . Great effort, I know.

Reactions: JohnEGreen