Here is a personal, honest account of exactly what is wrong with medical research

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it speaks for itself really, one honourable man's account of his battle with a Pharmaceutical company, determined to influence / silence his research.

Reactions: Snapsy

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Who do we trust? Not our Doctors!

I think it depends on how you see them, and how you work with them.

Mine played a great part in reversing my diabetes, and I have an excellent relationship with them.
But, I work with them, and don't immediately go head to head to prove they must be paid off by pharmaceutical companies somewhere.
They're people, with morals, like everyone else, just because they're HCP's doesn't mean they're automatically dishonest.

But, I guess eventually we all find what we believe in.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem isn't our doctor's on the ground, the problem is the reliability of the information they are provided with. Nobody thinks our friendly local GPs are all on the take, but if the research they are relying on and basing their decisions on is fraudulent or mis-represented, we're all in trouble. Did you actually watch the video, @douglas99 ? If you watched it and think that doesn't represent a major problem in medical research - well, nothing else to say really!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My doctor doesn't base their decision on what some researcher comes up with.
My doctor bases it on years of personal experience, like every other HCP with a mind of their own.
NICE guidelines limit that, but that's budgeting for you.
If you want unlimited resources, go private.

But, if you believe it's dumbing down, generally I find that's in the mind of the dumber.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll ask again, did you actually watch the video? This is nothing to do with diabetes, this is a cardiologist, who, on 2 occasions in his career, participated in clinical trials. On both occasions the trial, so far as the company sponsoring it was concerned, was a failure. The trial basically demonstrated that the new procedure did not work and had no clinical benefit. So this doctor was offered inducements to remove data from the trial, then to not publish the trial, then eventually sued by the pharmaceutical company (a case he won and was awarded costs).

He comes across, to me, as a genuine and honest person. How much is his experience reflected right through medical research?

Pharmaceutical companies have a duty to shareholders and a duty to generate profits and dividends. We, the users / customers / patients need to be aware, in my opinion, that their objectives do not include altruism. We need to tread carefully.

Reactions: serenity648

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'll ask again, did you actually watch the video? This is nothing to do with diabetes, this is a cardiologist, who, on 2 occasions in his career, participated in clinical trials. On both occasions the trial, so far as the company sponsoring it was concerned, was a failure. The trial basically demonstrated that the new procedure did not work and had no clinical benefit. So this doctor was offered inducements to remove data from the trial, then to not publish the trial, then eventually sued by the pharmaceutical company (a case he won and was awarded costs).

He comes across, to me, as a genuine and honest person. How much is his experience reflected right through medical research?

Pharmaceutical companies have a duty to shareholders and a duty to generate profits and dividends. We, the users / customers / patients need to be aware, in my opinion, that their objectives do not include altruism. We need to tread carefully.

Yes, like I said, that's a normal doctor.
They don't bend. they push back.
I trust doctors.

We seem to agree for once, doctors have consciences, and are there only for us, as your video shows.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would highly recommend 'Bad Pharma' by Ben Goldacre to anyone who is interested in finding out just how broken the pharmaceutical industry is, and how much of an influence it has over our healthcare. You are so right @AtkinsMo - there is absolutely nothing doctors can do if they are being deliberately given false information to start with, which in so many cases they are.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yes, like I said, that's a normal doctor.
They don't bend. they push back.
I trust doctors.

We seem to agree for once, doctors have consciences, and are there only for us, as your video shows.
Once again douglas99 break the habit of a lifetime and answer AtkinsMo's question DID YOU WATCH THE CLIP?

Reactions: zand

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am half way through 'Trick and Treat how'healthy eating' is making us ill by Barry Groves' first published in 2008 and I found 'Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre' in my sons bookcase in the garage. Trouble is the more I read the more irate I get. Barry Groves states in his book that he was in the lobby of the House of Commons with a colleague when three Parma representatives were behind him discussing what level of blood pressure they should tell the MPs was safe (it used to be 160/100).

Reactions: zand

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
25 minutes well spent. Dr Wilmshurst may not be the world's best public speaker, but he and Dr Nightingale are heroes. They've refused bribes, actually lost money, in order to give us the best, unbiased information. Good men.

I almost wish I were more shocked by the shady practices of the pharmaceutical industry but, sadly, not a lot of surprises there. It's the reason I didn't take HRT, no statins, no anything unless it's provably vital to my continued wellbeing.