HGV licence?

mpw83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,
I have a question - Have been Type 1 21 years this coming May (2015). I have my normal (car) licence on a rolling 3-year renewal, but what i`m wondering is - can I hold a licence to drive something a bit heavier? I keep getting mixed responses from people 'in the know' as to whether I can or not, so figured if someone can hopefully explain if I can or not that would be great. the vehicles in question are an AEC Matador (about 8 and a bit tons) and a Scammell Pioneer (8.4tons) that i`m hoping to restore for my ww2 re-enacting events

Reactions: 2 people

4girls

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband is type 2 but has only recently been put on to insulin. He was told by the Consultant at the hosp and the diabetic nurse that his HGV would not be affected, but once we informed the DVLA his HGV class one was taken away - they are saying that he may get it back if he can prove no hypos in a year. Because he is now insulin dep his normal car license has to be applied for every three years - which also means that until he can show three months of no hypos he can not drive anything other than a car. - no van, no trailer nothing over 3.5 ton. His full time job is an hgv class 1 driver - not sure how we are going to manage. He looks after himself and has never had a hypo, he also tests 3 times a day.

Reactions: 2 people

denbo

He will av to fill forms in for his hgv and av a memory meter so the DVLA independant consultant can check the meter my hubby renewed his now for the past 2yrs it's a long process but u do get there first time it was 10 mths as it ad just come in tha hgv on insulin cud drive the second time round took 7 mths on my third stage now as jyst sent fiorms bk askin when I went to c my consultant and bout hypos u will av a form first for your doctor to fill in so b prepared for the long haul as DVLA do not rush as their medicals team av to decide aswell after u av been to c their independant consultant good luck

denbo

He will av to fill forms in for his hgv and av a memory meter so the DVLA independant consultant can check the meter my hubby renewed his now for the past 2yrs it's a long process but u do get there first time it was 10 mths as it ad just come in tha hgv on insulin cud drive the second time round took 7 mths on my third stage now as jyst sent fiorms bk askin when I went to c my consultant and bout hypos u will av a form first for your doctor to fill in so b prepared for the long haul as DVLA do not rush as their medicals team av to decide aswell after u av been to c their independant consultant good luck
I forgot to say this as to b Done every 12mths the renewal but if yr licence. Expires they send you paper work for you to continue to drive until they av checked all the forms you send bk

denbo

I've got a appointment to go c my go May 26 and he's got to c my meter to c if I av 3mths readings which I av I've still got go c the DVLA independant consultant aswell I think they don't believe either ya own gp or yr own consultant thought they ad change their tactics with me Avin a letter sayin take ya meter to the god wot wadte time all this is I'm safe to drive Wudnt go all through this if I wasn't grrr wot a pain

4girls

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your help. The doctor has written a letter to DVLA explaining that he has got 3 months ok levels and we contested it. as the first letter he got said that a re-application will be considered only when he's had no hypo event requiring assistant of another person has occurred in the previous 12 months. AND three months of good levels and no evidence of impaired awareness. He's only been on insulin since march, he was on tablets before that. We got a letter back from DVLA saying they will look into contested letter and reply in 9 weeks. I wouldn't mind, I know he has to be safe but nobody seems to know anything about this 12 months. He won't have a job in 12 months if this carries on. He has never had a hypo. I can understand it if he had to ben seen by DVLA doctor or any other consultant. But we just have to wait.

denbo

This as to b done every 12mths for u to get yr hgv good luck it's a long haul as the DVLA do not rush things

4girls

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
AT last my husband got his HGV licence back for 1 year. DVLA have also changed his car licence to 1 year as well???? We have been told by the consultants etc that when HGV is up for renew start going through the procedures again and carry on driving until DVLA say not too, even though date on licence would have expired. Is this correct?? Any one had any experience with this?

denbo

AT last my husband got his HGV licence back for 1 year. DVLA have also changed his car licence to 1 year as well???? We have been told by the consultants etc that when HGV is up for renew start going through the procedures again and carry on driving until DVLA say not too, even though date on licence would have expired. Is this correct?? Any one had any experience with this?
I think you can carry on driving as it takes tha long to get through the procedure ov gettin it back a my hubby as done this 4 times now this yr will be his 5th