Hi all - new Type 2

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that good or bad Hartnell6

fasting blood glucose is best if it is under 6 mmol like non diabetics, but not all can achive that...unless they go really low carb, many only eat like 80 grams of carbs a day, and some are even lower like under 20 grams a day..

try it for a few day and see how fast your blood glucose lowers...for some it takes a few weeks to get under 6.5 mmol in the mornings.. try to be strickt and do count the number of grams of carbs a day...

avocado , eggs and all kinds of meats , and also most cheese and all fish are ideal foods when going low carb, and brazil nuts and macadamia nuts... if one doesn´t need to go extreemly low carb , then one can also eat all above ground growing vegetables...

avoid all bread, potatoes corn and rice and cakes and all sugars and honey,

you can eat butter and olive oil and coconut oil,

if you need a kind of bread LIDL has some protein rolls that are very low in carbs, I think they taste fine, of cause not totally like most wheat bread..

there are a threath with recipies of low carb foods in this forum too , where one can find ways to make all sorts of delicious treats too that are suitable for diabetics too..

peterfgb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info Freema, it is very informative and I will try and incorporate into my daily intake.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
The big ones to avoid are Beer, Bread, Pasta, Potatoes and Rice.

This might help http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Personally I axed all of the above, I dont even drink milk or add it to tea or coffee any more. I switched marg for butter, eat cream and full fat versions of everything. Fat is your friend, and it wont make you fat.
But is Fat your friend if you also have high cholestrol? Mine IS a bit lower (6'1 last test, but was 7) but I don't know if I can eat butter, cream, cheese etc .... and it's a waste of time asking at my health centre as all their advice is different to on here!

peterfgb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks KezG still trying to get my head around this condition and what it means, so many bits of advice but some of it seems to clash with what others say.....

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've just had results of hba1c back from doctors I'm definitely diabetic got an appointment Friday morning to discuss my options and discuss the results

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat anything low fat now, and my cholesterol has dropped since diagnosis.