Hi all!

sharpster25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another new guy here, I was diagnosed as Type 1 when i was 17 (I'm 25 now). Surprisingly in that time I've never talked to another Diabetic in person, which is frustrating in a way cause nobody I know has a clue how hard this can be.
Finding this site, i jumped at this opportunity to actually be able to talk to others who know exactly what I go through each day. I'm honestly excited to finally have a chance to chat to others in the same boat as me.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi there, I'm T1, had it for 47 years and still going strong! One of the best things I did in the last few years was the Dafne course - I guessed you hadn't been on one as you say this is the first time you've talked with others who have Diabetes. The course covers using your own insulin and nutrition needs to calculate doses for carbohydrate intake. You were probably been shown all that when you were diagnosed (back in the day the information I was given was minimal) but it's good to discover all the ways you can keep control and get more out of your life.
How's diabetes been for you? Have you found it easy to adjust to it?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Welcome aboard the good ship Needle........

I just made that up.

Good luck

Tony

sharpster25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the welcome!

I've never heard of the Dafne course, but after looking it up i think i'll be asking my diabetes nurse about it when i next see her, looks useful.
How's diabetes been for you? Have you found it easy to adjust to it?

I probably had one of the worst starts to becoming T1; an absolutely crippling phobia of needles and a sweet tooth like no other. Kinda hit me like a ton of bricks when mother dragged me up to hospital cause I was showing all the usual symptoms of high blood sugar.
I still struggle with it today, 8 years later, my last Hba1c was at about 12%, i was told that's about double what it should be (still better than the one before that which was about 15%) :/