Hi confused diabetic here

Microbe99

Hi all,
I'm a little confused about which type of diabetes I have.
Started on tablets but every 8 to 12 months had to increase dose or add another tablet to try and get control. Then got such bad side effects I was recommended to go on insulin.
Every hcp that I see are astonished that I'm type 2 as I am 6 foot tall and weigh just over 14 stone.
My dsn even says I've got an abnormal type of diabetes!
Not sure if I'm lada?? Or something else.
Trying to carb count with some success hba1c 55 last time but 62 previously.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had any tests to see if you are producing insulin, or are positive for antibodies?
HCPs do tend to have a rather limited understanding of type two diabetes and expect us all to be overweight - which a lot are to be honest, as with an inability to cope with carbs plus the emphasis placed on eating them as part of a healthy diet - we are doomed.
However, as your carb counting seems to be having some effect, it may be that you are one of the more slender type twos which turn up from time to time.
I suspect that there are several similar problems which are all put under the same headline but are different when examined - inability to deal with carbs is the connection though.
I took Metformin for a while and it tried to turn me inside out - but I did not need it, as it turned out.
What level of carbs do you aim for each day?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The only way to find out for sure is get them to tell you there are tests they can do

Cpetide will see if you are producing insulin and how much

Anti gad is a check for antibodies normally present in T1 when the pancreas is attacked

Failing that they can do genetic testing which will give a certain type

I've been 10 years like you and just been reclassified T1.. t1 get more care than T2 so worth pushing