Hi everyone, recently diagnosed type 2, New to all this

Wiggers41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am a 41 year old male from East midlands Uk, I have recently been diagnosed as type 2 just after the new year. I started on 2 metformin 500mg a day. Then following a second set of bloods this was raised to 4 a day (2 taken twice a day) along with 1 statin (Atorvastatin) and 1 Ramipril 2.5 mg (as apparently high blood pressure) apparently my levels were 10.6 in December and 9.6 in January. But I ha e no idea what this means. Should I get a blood glucose testing machine to check how/ what foods affect me. I am exercising by swimming every week minimum of 64 lengths each week and I know I have lost weight as clothes are getting looser.
Seriously getting confused over carbs and diet should I cut them out or be on a high carb diet, the doctors just go on about cutting sugar and exercise but not a lot else, I have a lot of info to read through and look online but it is a mine field of info out there. Any help or advice is welcomed.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you should get a meter and then use it to identify which foods cause your blood sugar to rise to an unacceptable level. One way or another you will be cutting down on carbohydrates.

The exercise is good but it isn't contributing much to weight loss but carry on doing it.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hello and welcome to the forum @Wiggers41 this can all be a bit overwhelming at the beginning but fear not you will soon be an expert on all things diabetic:) Have a good read of the information that @Squire Fulwood has sent for you. In there you will find a link to the site's low carb diet programme, you could do worse than to join that. Another good site that I like myself is www.dietdoctor.com. Just take everything one day at a time and come on here and ask any questions that you may have. There will always be someone with the answer for you. Very best of Good Luck!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Wiggers41

Welcome to the forum. Yes, getting a glucose meter is one of the best things you can do to help yourself. You've already had @daisy1 tagged, who will post some excellent information regarding diabetes. I would recommend you read and inwardly digest as a kick-off point :)

Regarding glucose meters, there are a lot on the market but you need to consider the price of the test strips as these are ongoing. Tee2, http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ and SDCodeFree https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/
are considered the best value for money. Check both out.

You seem confused re carbs and diabetes. Daisy1's post will help explain how carbs are best avoided. Many here eat Low Carb High/er Fat with very good results for both improved glucose control and weight loss. Check out the LCHF forum here too.

Exercise will help your insulin sensitivity, which most, if not all, Type 2s have so continue with your swimming and any other exercise you like to do.

As for your results, 10.6 and 9.6, these are likely to be HbA1c % and you are aiming to get to below 6%. Check out this site for further information - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

It's possible, with good control and lots of testing, to turn your diabetes around. Well done for finding this forum. We're a friendly bunch, and there are some very knowledgeable and experienced diabetics on here who are happy to share advice so please ask lots of questions :)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Welcome to the forums. Exercise is not much use if you are on a diet which raises your blood sugars.

When I was diagnosed as Type 2 last November I was advised to do more exercise and cut out sugars. Fortunately, I was also advised to look at diabetes.co.uk because it had a lot of useful information. My blood sugars reduced from 13.1 to 9.8 by the time I saw my diabetes nurse for the first time last December and at this point I was given a glucose meter (Accu-Check Mobile) and I started to do readings every week after that.

I began to reduce my consumption of carbohydrates, cutting out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc and stopped drinking orange juice as it has a lot of sugar. This allowed my fasting blood sugars to reduce week on week until they came down to around 6.2 a few weeks later. Recently I discovered that eating porridge raised my blood sugars from 6.2 before up to 10.1 two hours after, so I have stopped eating porridge. I have also recently cut out bananas and eating a lot of fruit, except for strawberries and blueberries which are low carb.

I now follow the LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet which is very popular here. It turns out that fats such as in butter, cream and cheese do not raise your blood sugars. I just watched a film called Statin Nation II (What really causes heart disease) which claimed that nations such as France and Japan which have diets higher in fat have far fewer deaths from heart disease than nations with low fat in their diets. You should take a look at the Statin Nation films to get a more balanced view on the merits and side effects of statins.

I suggest you get a glucose meter and when your glucose levels come down by adopting a LCHF diet, then get your medications reduced.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Wiggers41

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: 13lizanne

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Wiggers41 and Welcome to the Forum :).
Ask away any questions you may have! There will be plenty of forum members providing you with answers.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes the diet thing is quite confusing. The NHS, government and EU all talk about sugar when they should be talking about ALL carbs as they all turn to glucose in the body. This is why you should always look at the labels at the back of food packaging and ignore the traffic light nonsense on the front. Note that HBa1C blood measures (not finger prick tests) are now measured in mmol and not the older % number which many of us still use. There is a conversion table on the Home page of this site. Metformin will help your sugars a bit but diet is key. The statin is for high cholesterol. Check next time check what your lipids figures are with the GP as they tend to hand statins out like sweets and some people have side effects from them. The Ramipril is for high blood pressure. Again check that more than one BP reading is taken next time and that you don't suffer from the surgery 'white-coat' syndrome which causes BP figures to rise in the surgery. BTW I have all three of those tablets and don't suffer any problems.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for Atorvastatin. I took it for a few weeks and ended up unable to remember where I left the car at the supermarket.
Things have improved since I stopped them, but I still can't do Sudoku puzzles without at least one cheat. I couldn't do them at all in January so it is better than that, but worrying.

Wiggers41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the replies, I will read and digest as much as. You just don't know where to start for the best touch wood I have had no major problems with my meds.

Reactions: Liam1955