Hi i was diagnosed just before xmas and was told just to cut down on sugar i am very overweight

Teresabav

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi i was diagnosed just before xmas am very overweight and got high bp had that for years .. was just told to cut down on sugar and sweet stuff really and not to eat too much fruit ! So have been doing my own research did not realise the carb bit was so bad . Also what about alcohol ? have stopped drinking beer on my weekly night out but have moved to spirit and diet mixer is that ok ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no sugar in spirits but according to Professor Lustig ethanol (alcohol) is processed into fat directly in the liver which is not good. A fatty liver is something to be avoided.

Reactions: lovinglife

holdfast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Government regulation
I used to take a couple of spoons of sugar in all my hot drinks. I cut out added sugar on anything. It was quite difficult to begin with and I suffered from what I can only call "withdrawal symptoms" - headache etc. Now I've adapted and if anyone accidentally adds sugar to my tea I find it tastes like syrup. As for beer, I only ever order a half pint or a 330 cl bottle. I still eat bread occasionally, but only buy a small loaf, which I slice thinly. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll get more information here about what not to eat and drink - there is a welcome information sheet for newcomers.
If you look for the low carb section in forums there is useful stuff there about keeping your blood glucose levels down, and as a bonus weight loss.
I have found that medical people give some very strange advice to diabetics.