hi, im new to the site, Q about exercise!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i went to the gym today, and after 10 mins warm up on recumbant bike and half an hour on the cross trainer, i started feeling wobbly legs, shaky, exhausted, a little faint etc. i checked my blood sugar, and it said 2.9.
i dont take any medication for my T2.
i had a banana about an hour and qtr before i went to the gym. i had sugar free version of sugar puffs for breakfast as well as a yoghurt. i thought this would be plenty to go to the gym on!
why did the sugar go so low, when im not on meds?
and what should i eat for my breakfast to prevent this from happening again?
i was really annoyed as i had planned on going on the rower afterwards and then half hour of weights and stretches! i feel disappointed having to end the excercise session too early! specially when i am limited how many times i can go to the gym per week! i want to get my moneys worth, and of course lose the weight and get fit!

really hope some one can help!! thank you!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Kaz and welcome to the forum. :) Someone will come along soon and answer your question better than I can but in the meantime here is some general information about hypos - perhaps you will find something useful in here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18529

HTH

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Exercise is a funny thing.......it is all about balance. Not enough carbs for the intensity of the exercise and Bg levels will plummet, too much and start off at a high Bg level then levels can climb.

That's why you should always test immediately before exercise, during the exercise and immediately after........know exactly what effect it has on YOUR body. Everybody is different in how it reacts.

Just as a matter of interest....what on earth is a 'sugar free sugar puff' ? What's it made of ?

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Hi

I go to the gym 6 days a week and all i eat before (an hour before i start my workout) is an apple, now im thinking that isnt enough? as i dont test i have no idea what my sugars are doing.....my doctor refuses to let me test, and i went to the chemist to buy my own strips and they are $43 !!!
I dont know what to do.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Angela.
It is your health and you really should test, many Members use Ebay or similar to purchase strips if they cannot get them prescribed, much cheaper. I am sure there is something similar in NZ ?

TBH, I wouldn't have thought an Apple was sufficient 'fuel' for ANY sort of exercise. Your body/brain needs something to work with. Once you get a few readings you wouldn't have to do it all the time as you would know what you need to do for different exercises.

I can only urge you to get yourself a meter and some strips, test before, during and after. See what you find....... :)

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that link was great thanku! i only my G.P would read it!