Hi

C

chris lowe

Welcome, you'll find lots offhand hints around the forums & site in general. Well done on the weight loss.

Reactions: goosey39

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying but I love carbs it's killing me
It gets easier.. I found it better to dump all carbs asap rather than try and cut down and now they hardly feature in what I eat at all. I would rather have eyes and toes than bread any day of the week.. If you look at it like that it became a lot easier for me. Then again I'm an all or nothing kinda person I guess.

Reactions: grante and Ultramum
Type of diabetes
Type 2
It gets easier.. I found it better to dump all carbs asap rather than try and cut down and now they hardly feature in what I eat at all. I would rather have eyes and toes than bread any day of the week.. If you look at it like that it became a lot easier for me. Then again I'm an all or nothing kinda person I guess.

Good way to put it I supppose , what about alcohol any tips there just amazed me how much sugar in lager

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good way to put it I supppose , what about alcohol any tips there just amazed me how much sugar in lager
I haven't had alcohol in 10 years (nothing to do with diabetes) but a lot of people swear by a glass or two of red wine and spirits with diet mixers. I would suggest experimentation with frequent testing to see what causes spikes and is best avoided and what doesn't. In fact I would recommend that for all food as well as booze. It's called eating to your meter which is an essential piece of kit so if your HCP says don't test I'm afraid you should ignore them. (In fact I ignore almost everything my HCP's say about diabetes)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's best way of testing my GP and nurse have been useless thus far , I've seen these strip things but look expensive

Price wise the cost is in the strips which you will use a lot of when you start out.

A lot of use the SD Codefree meter from these guys
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/
if you are UK based you'll want the mmol/l measure as they are the numbers we all use.
The strips are about the cheapest around.

A newer one is the Tee 2
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/
which also has better priced strips but I haven't used this one

Don't forget to tick the Yes I am diabetic box to save the VAT.

I have bought stuff from both of these companies and found them very good if any problems arise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers thanks for help how do I perform the test ???
Prick your finger with the provided pricker... stick a test strip in the meter and kind of scoop up the blood blob onto the strip.. the meter will give you a reading. There's instructions and videos on youtube. It's a little prick (if you pardon the phrase) nothing to worry about.
And yes a lot (most) of us self fund as with Type 2 you are very unlikely to be prescribed test strips.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Prick your finger with the provided pricker... stick a test strip in the meter and kind of scoop up the blood blob onto the strip.. the meter will give you a reading. There's instructions and videos on youtube. It's a little prick (if you pardon the phrase) nothing to worry about.
And yes a lot (most) of us self fund as with Type 2 you are very unlikely to be prescribed test strips.

Cheers mate thanks for your help had more success tonight than with GP , ordered one of those meters.

Reactions: Ultramum

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers mate thanks for your help had more success tonight than with GP , ordered one of those meters.
Excellent.. what most of us do is test before eating then maybe one and two hours afterwards to see what effect the meal has had on your blood sugars. You're aiming to get a less than 2 mmol/l rise after 2 hours. if it goes up more than 2 then something in that meal (usually carbs) doesn't agree with you. So if you're already avoiding the worst carbs like bread, pasta, sugar anything starchy root veg then you should be ok with the less than 2 rise.
We're here to help so if you have any questions just ask although maybe try searching in the search box at the top first as most things may have been asked already. but we don't mind answering twice...We also often measure first thing in the morning when we get up for our FBG (fasting blood glucose) level.This is quite a good way to monitor your overall control. Although due to something called the dawn phenomenon it may be one of the higher daily readings.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Hi
I am the goose :D was diagnosed end of March type 2 , was a bloody shock!! :***:
Came here been reading ever since and other diabetic forums, started slimming 3 weeks a go as i need to shed weight , i have lost 1 stone 1 lb in 3 weeks :)
I will continue to read, write and bore you:p
Wow well done xx

Reactions: goosey39