Hi

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh well tonight is fat club:wacky: will be back later with an update, hopefully will be a loss as i have been a goody two shoes:joyful:

Reactions: Ultramum

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grrrrrrr stayed the same, oh well next week is nother week but on holiday:eek:

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Prick your finger with the provided pricker... stick a test strip in the meter and kind of scoop up the blood blob onto the strip.. the meter will give you a reading. There's instructions and videos on youtube. It's a little prick (if you pardon the phrase) nothing to worry about.
And yes a lot (most) of us self fund as with Type 2 you are very unlikely to be prescribed test strips.

Hi Bulkbiker, I was diagnosed nearly two weeks ago (T2) and the nurse left me out a meter (to be collected next day) along with a free prescription for sharps box, sharps and strips, also filled out a form that gives me free prescriptions for the above and all medication for 5 years. I was upset with diagnosis but happier with that result.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkbiker, I was diagnosed nearly two weeks ago (T2) and the nurse left me out a meter (to be collected next day) along with a free prescription for sharps box, sharps and strips, also filled out a form that gives me free prescriptions for the above and all medication for 5 years. I was upset with diagnosis but happier with that result.
Wow then you are extremely lucky.. well done. Self testing wasn't even mentioned when I was diagnosed but after finding myself here I started and have managed quite well since without troubling my HCP's. Hope you find testing as useful as I did.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Wow then you are extremely lucky.. well done. Self testing wasn't even mentioned when I was diagnosed but after finding myself here I started and have managed quite well since without troubling my HCP's. Hope you find testing as useful as I did.

Hi Bulkbiker it is up and down at the moment, the health pros want me to carry on eating as normal (high carbs) as they want to check meds are working I am slowly removing them as eating them is making me feel unwell and bg is around 14 when having carbs and 8 when not and that is with walking about 6 miles a day. So yes the meter is useful if only for highlighting how bad carbs are.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well here we go again, no blood for finger prick :arghh: been difficult all week, impossible now, dont know what to do anymore

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me a few weeks to get into the swing of it - pressing the finger pricking device really hard on the finger seems to help.

Have you put a new tip (needle thingy/lancet) in? There is some debate about how often to change them although received advice (which we all follow to the letter of course!) is to change the lancet every time.

Otherwise just keep trying - the fingers get a little sore to start with but then you get used to it.

Reactions: goosey39

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me a few weeks to get into the swing of it - pressing the finger pricking device really hard on the finger seems to help.

Have you put a new tip (needle thingy/lancet) in? There is some debate about how often to change them although received advice (which we all follow to the letter of course!) is to change the lancet every time.

Otherwise just keep trying - the fingers get a little sore to start with but then you get used to it.
Thank, yes i did and its on the highest, tried this morning and still no go, been out ll day just got in as on holiday, will try in a min

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
When changing from a standalone lancet device to the built-in finger-pricker on the AccuChek Mobile, I found I needed LESS depth rather than more. Hence I went from the maximum 5 setting, to a much more reasonable setting 2.

As others have said; ensure your hands are clean dry and warm, sides of fingers are usually best and not as sensitive. However there's no hard and fast rule - it's very much your body and it'll tell you itself what does/doesn't work.

goosey39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When changing from a standalone lancet device to the built-in finger-pricker on the AccuChek Mobile, I found I needed LESS depth rather than more. Hence I went from the maximum 5 setting, to a much more reasonable setting 2.

As others have said; ensure your hands are clean dry and warm, sides of fingers are usually best and not as sensitive. However there's no hard and fast rule - it's very much your body and it'll tell you itself what does/doesn't work.
Thanks im sitting here with a glove on and hand under my leg to keep it warm ;)going to try again in a min as first was a fail:banghead:

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN also offered me a meter (on loan) and a prescription for strips etc so maybe things are moving on.
The nurse was even more forward thinking than the DR. - thought it a good idea to wait three months before satins, recommended this forum and thought testing was a great idea. Even supportive of the LCHF diet - just reminded me not to much saturated fat but a balance.