Hi :)

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Newbie here :) was diagnosed as type 2 when I was 15 and had been on metformin SR. It's now 15 years later and I've just been told I'm MODY (1A). Anyone else on here MODY? I had been changed to 40mg gliclazide a day and that dose was way too high as was having hypos. Now on 20mg 4 days a week which is much better. I'm also doing slimming world the last 6 months which has helped my BS come down to 6 on average. Struggling to loose weight though since changing my tablet. Well that's enough about me lol nice to meet you all :) x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your inability to lose weight may be that the SW diet is too high in carbs? Gliclazide enables the body to metabolise carbs more readily so you need to keep them sensibly low to keep weight down.

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Thank you for your reply :) yes carbs on slimming world are what they call free food so they say you can eat as much as you like...but I try not to over do it. Same with fruit I only have 2-3 portions through the day. I tend to eat more mince and vegetables and have a little carbs on the side. I have heard that gliclazide can cause weight gain. I'm sure it's the tablet as was looking much more when on metformin. So hard to get the balance right x

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
I forgot to mention I've also been diagnosed as have a benign liver hepatic adenoma which apparently is linked to the mody I have. No problems with it at the moment x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Out of interest why did you switch from the Metformin?
Was you BG getting too high, with high HbA1c readings?
If you have been treated for 15 years as a T2 then I assume that your control has been pretty good.
If you are on a relatively low dosage of Gliclazide (I assume slow release) then your body must still be working reasonably well.

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Out of interest why did you switch from the Metformin?
Was you BG getting too high, with high HbA1c readings?
If you have been treated for 15 years as a T2 then I assume that your control has been pretty good.
If you are on a relatively low dosage of Gliclazide (I assume slow release) then your body must still be working reasonably well.
When I was younger my BG was terrible as I didn't take my metformin and I ate what I wanted. Thankfully in recent years I changed that. My BG has been perfect recently but with MODY the doctors say the best treatment is gliclazide. Thankfully this is a low dose and working for now. I've been told as the years go on MODY gets a worse so I will eventually need a bigger dose and in years to come I will definitely need insulin. I'm not sure how t2 works to be honest but with MODY the older I get the less insulin my body will produce. X

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
When I was younger my BG was terrible as I didn't take my metformin and I ate what I wanted. Thankfully in recent years I changed that. My BG has been perfect recently but with MODY the doctors say the best treatment is gliclazide. Thankfully this is a low dose and working for now. I've been told as the years go on MODY gets a worse so I will eventually need a bigger dose and in years to come I will definitely need insulin. I'm not sure how t2 works to be honest but with MODY the older I get the less insulin my body will produce. X

I will try and tread very carefully here.
Gliclazide works by over stimulating your pancreas to produce insulin.
As they say in Blade Runner "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long."
So I think they are correct that in the long term your insulin production will decrease as your pancreas wears out.
What I don't understand is why there is any need to switch off Metformin if you were achieving good control using that.

Purely from my personal perspective, if I could manage just on Metformin I would be very reluctant to progress to Gliclazide. I regard that as the beginning of the slippery slope you describe above.

You say "My BG has been perfect recently but with MODY the doctors say the best treatment is gliclazide.".
It is probably worth checking around to see if this is the only route available to you.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_mody.html says that the most common type is due to the slow failure of your pancreas to produce enough insulin. If that has happened then Gliclazide is a logical step on the treatment path.

How were you diagnosed with MODY? Why did they even test?

You can tell I am having some mental indigestion over this.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

You say "I'm not sure how t2 works to be honest ". Plenty of information on this site. Get stuck in and enjoy yourself :)
Briefly, with T2 you are either producing enough insulin but your body is refusing to use it properly (Insulin Resistance) or your body isn't producing enough insulin (similar to MODY).

I think the difference between Type 1 (which I understand includes MODY) and Type 2 is that Type 1 is an auto-immune disease where your body treats your beta cells in the pancreas as a foreign invader, a disease, and kills the beta cells off so you can't produce insulin. With T2 they get over worked producing too much insulin and just get worn out.

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
I think i was switched to gliclazide as I was told people with MODY respond better to a group of tablets which are called sulfonylurea. From what I've read, metformin isn't apart of this group and works completely differently. I suppose yes in the long run it will be better for me. I was first diagnosed at 15 as type 2...well they said i thought I was rare but the test was too expensive! That was 15 years ago. I was admitted into hosptial a year ago (for something else) and the doctor just so happened to mention mody to me and how he thought I could have this. So I went to my local doctor and was approved for the test. I think I checked all the boxes for the test as I was diagnosed young and several other family members have diabetes too. They have now been tested for mody and have it too. From what I have read I think mody is similar to type 1 but it is it's own category. I'm still trying to get my head around this all too. Diabetes is very confusing at times! Lol :)