High BG and incontinence

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I have high blood glucose as I've just been diagnosed, I'm urinating loads especially at night.
I have terrible urge incontinence, I leak quite a bit.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm wearing Tena pads
I'm only 40 so quite embarrassing.
Thanks

D

Deleted Account

When you have high BG, your body tries to get rid of the excess sugar. This is why regular trips to the toilet are a common symptom of diabetes.
Typically, reducing BG will stop the need to get rid of the glucose in your blood through lots of wee-ing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I have high blood glucose as I've just been diagnosed, I'm urinating loads especially at night.
Thanks

This is a classic symptom of high blood sugars. If you get those down the symptoms should stop.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Kittycat_7_
it is a long long time ago -- but I ruined a family holiday to disneyland (because i wet the bed for a few nights )at age 14
needless to say the day we arrived home -- i went to the GP -- diagnosed type 1 that day and given insulin !!!!!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive always needed the odd pee or 2 at night. that went to every1/2 hour. now im under control im quite often going without the need. it wont cure your stress incontinence but it will calm down the need to pee. now who thought we would be talking about peeing on a forum.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kittycat_7_ , I feel for you suffering with this problem, I have the same condition, but am retired, so a bit older than you. My gp told me it is a very common condition, and 'tutted' and said I should have gone to see him straight away rather than suffer with it (which I did for about a year before I was finally driven by despair to seek some help).

It could be related to blood sugars, but I understand it could also be caused by other things - possibly weakened bladder or pelvic floor muscles. There are some exercises you can do that might help to strengthen these and reduce the 'leakage' but I must admit, they're really hard work! (well, they are if you do them properly!).

Have you mentioned this to your gp? If not, I would do so because it's something that can be relieved very easily by one little tablet a day. I was started on Tolterodine (I think the main ingredient) but was later changed to Neditol, which I suspect is a cheaper version of the same thing. They work for me and the relief was "heaven" - they literally changed my life (if that's not too dramatic!).

Even if you only need some extra help for a limited time, until you get your blood glucose sorted, I'm sure a similar product could help you. It had become so bad for me that I was virtually trapped in my home for weeks/months, not daring to go out because the urge was instantaneous - immediate and I was at times wetting myself even as I ran to the toilet. Very distressing; you have my full sympathy. Please get some help, it will make all the difference, (while you continue working on reducing blood glucose levels).

All the best :)

p.s. This all assumes your gp will ask the right questions/do the right tests to decide what is the likely cause in your particular case.

Last edited:

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same problem at diagnosis, diabetes used to be called "pissing desease" in the olden days

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No need to suffer in silence. Mention your problem to your Diabetes nurse or your GP. The longer you leave it the more risk that the urge becomes habit forming which even after resolution can be hard to break.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
Thanks

Yeh I'm in my 40's and living in bladder liners 24/7. I was diagnosed at 40 with a bladder condition though that also causes incontinence as one of the symptoms, so that's the cause for me. For you it's probably the high blood sugar as others have mentioned. At least know you're not alone. I wish you the best. :)

Florence5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find the same problem with low blood glucose. It is now the first symptom I get. So strange and nasty
Florence5

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - had problems lots last year when blood glucose levels were very high, waking up two or three times a night to go, and, ahem, having problems with sneezing/leaking.

This year blood sugars are lower and I am sleeping through the night once more and am more in control and, to be honest, I really hadn't thought of it as a symptom until I read things on this forum about it.... I just thought that turning 40 had made my body start to fall apart a little!