High BGs after probiotics

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been taking a probiotic for just over a week and my BG levels have been significantly raised, I’ve only started suspecting the probiotics today. The first ingredient is maltose, which is a high GI sugar, but there’s only 4.4 grams total weight per packet, (including the probiotics). Could this be causing the BG spikes? It’s only a small amount, but it’s a very high GI sugar. I’m a bit confused, they were really expensive probiotics too! :(

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been taking a probiotic for just over a week and my BG levels have been significantly raised, I’ve only started suspecting the probiotics today. The first ingredient is maltose, which is a high GI sugar, but there’s only 4.4 grams total weight per packet, (including the probiotics). Could this be causing the BG spikes? It’s only a small amount, but it’s a very high GI sugar. I’m a bit confused, they were really expensive probiotics too! :(
I find a lot of supplements raise me, and some significantly. Vit C, B complex, biotin and multis to name a few
And even rosehips and hibiscus in tea! They are full of vit C though.

Vit D is no problem luckily.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a lot of supplements raise me, and some significantly. Vit C, B complex, biotin and multis to name a few
And even rosehips and hibiscus in tea! They are full of vit C though.

Vit D is no problem luckily.

Oh no :( I’ve given them a call to see if I can return them, they didn’t have an ingredients list on their website, I wouldn’t have bought it if I’d known.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no :( I’ve given them a call to see if I can return them, they didn’t have an ingredients list on their website, I wouldn’t have bought it if I’d known.
Good luck. Most reputable places have a money back guarantee. I would also think explaining the situation would help
Annoying though isn’t it ? They changed the ingredients in a probiotic I used to take and added coconut oil. I broke out in a huge rash and was nauseous all day. I don’t bother with those things anymore. It gets too complicated.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I’m really annoyed. Hopefully they’ll give me a refund on the remaining packets.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is said that a *pre* biotic is of more use than a probiotic anyway but then, even a prebiotic may have only a transitory benefit. If you are lowering your carb intake to try to manage your control of bg (and I am not suggesting that you should choose this route) then this alone could make inroads into achieving a healthier gut. It does take some time and of course, antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the not so good.

Michael Moseley has a book out on this very subject which is where I learned all this. I hope it helps.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m low carb already, but I have SIBO. I was hoping the probiotics would help improve my gut fauna (along with prebiotics), as I’ve taken dietary and natural antimicrobial steps to help things along, without much improvement to be honest.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m low carb already, but I have SIBO. I was hoping the probiotics would help improve my gut fauna (along with prebiotics), as I’ve taken dietary and natural antimicrobial steps to help things along, without much improvement to be honest.
I’m pretty sure I have SIBO too and have read many Times probiotics are contraindicated. They don’t do much for me if anything in a positive way and most times they make things worse.

There is no cure for SIBO. There is some antibiotic course thing you can do but it pretty much means living on abx.

So I just MANAGE it with diet. Certainly limits a lot of foods. And my digestion stinks. A low fiber diet is how I manage mine and only a few veggies of certain kinds. So pretty much protein and avocado is what my meals are based on.

How’s your digestion? I wonder if my stupid stomach is a SIBO thing

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m pretty sure I have SIBO too and have read many Times probiotics are contraindicated. They don’t do much for me if anything in a positive way and most times they make things worse.

There is no cure for SIBO. There is some antibiotic course thing you can do but it pretty much means living on abx.

So I just MANAGE it with diet. Certainly limits a lot of foods. And my digestion stinks. A low fiber diet is how I manage mine and only a few veggies of certain kinds. So pretty much protein and avocado is what my meals are based on.

Please, what is SIBO?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I understood that taking probiotics after a course of antibiotics or antimicrobials was important to ‘reseed’ the population of good bacteria. I’ve managed it with diet too, but my digestion is completely shot as well. Even worse, I don’t seem to be coping well with protein anymore, which is obviously important if you have diabetes. When I eat protein now, it sits in my stomach, like a brick, I don’t think it digests at all. I’m taking digestive enzymes, but they don’t seem to help much.

You can take a test for SIBO, not on the NHS though, I had to pay for mine.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I understood that taking probiotics after a course of antibiotics or antimicrobials was important to ‘reseed’ the population of good bacteria. I’ve managed it with diet too, but my digestion is completely shot as well. Even worse, I don’t seem to be coping well with protein anymore, which is obviously important if you have diabetes. When I eat protein now, it sits in my stomach, like a brick, I don’t think it digests at all. I’m taking digestive enzymes, but they don’t seem to help much.

You can take a test for SIBO, not on the NHS though, I had to pay for mine.
I’m in the US and at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what it is or is called, my stomach still sucks. I can’t digest veggies, you protein. Enzymes never helped me but HCL did for awhile.

The only thing that works for me is VERY SMALL snack sized meals every 3 hours. Works well with my insulin timin*too so at least that’s one good thing. I eat one ounce of protein at bf, 2 lunch but I divide that into 2 meals and 1.5 dinner. I also have either 1/2 soft boiled egg with lox and green onion( hubby eats the other half) or 1 oz melted Brie with pecans and onion at 5. All meals have 1/4 avocado and a small amount of veggies. I can’t eat anything with thick skins or seeds. Then the endless list of foods off the list for Diabetes as well as intolerances, like nightshades, dairy, etc

Keeping my meals to a few spoonfuls of protein with avo and chopped veg is the only thing that makes my stomach happy. It took awhile to look at my plate with this measly amount of food on it and not cry but then my stomach was so much happier I like it now. And eating again is just around the corner!

Going out to eat, forget it. It never ends well one way or another.

So it does sound like SIBO makes digestion impossible.

I avoid abx like the plague but when necessary I do take a pbx. But once sibo is there, it’s there to stay I guess

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Small meals seem to work better for me too, it’s tough not being able to eat a ‘normal’ sized portion. It is really rubbish not having a digestive system that works properly :( I have a lot of food intolerances too, so all of this on top of diabetes and I have a mitochondrial condition, makes eating tricky.

I think I agree that once you have SIBO, it’s impossible to be rid of it, I’ve tried everything the past few years and spent a lot of money on supplements and naturopaths, but I still have it, plus I also think leaky gut is also an issue.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
https://draxe.com/sibo-symptoms/

The low FODMAPS diet helped as well. But again, the biggest was very small meals

Do you bloat, gas, pain much? What’s your diet like?

I tend to follow low FODMAPS too, although apparently this can starve your good bacteria as well as the bad if done long term. Bloating and constipation are my worst symptoms, and not digesting my food, but I think this is down to low stomach acid rather than SIBO.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Small meals seem to work better for me too, it’s tough not being able to eat a ‘normal’ sized portion. It is really rubbish not having a digestive system that works properly :( I have a lot of food intolerances too, so all of this on top of diabetes and I have a mitochondrial condition, makes eating tricky.

I think I agree that once you have SIBO, it’s impossible to be rid of it, I’ve tried everything the past few years and spent a lot of money on supplements and naturopaths, but I still have it, plus I also think leaky gut is also an issue.
I have done and feel exactly like you. It’s all rubbish. We’re going on vacation in a few weeks and my anxiety levels are high. My mom loves to have loads of food all around all day and continuously asked me if I want some. It’s wearing. I think my stomach is harder to manage than D!

Are you low carb? High fat? Do you tolerate nuts? I can only eat a few at a time.

I’ve read in. Umerous places that probiotics also feed the nasties in the small intestines which is why they’re contraindicated.

Can you eat small amounts of protein? Following the recommended guidelines of .8 g per kg lean body mass I only need 5 oz so splitting it over smaller meals helps emmensly.
I always have a thin slice of organic deli meat for bf. Easy. Lunch I make and split and then dinner. It’s a pain in the ars but precccoking and freezing in my portions really helps. It took forever to find a routine that worked for my stomach AND bg but I’m on autopilot now. 1-1.5 per meal, avocado and a few veg. I stopped worrying about it because as you said, just like D it’s never going to go away.
After talking to you, I feel better that I’m not alone and reminded my stupid stomach is a result of SIBO and not just quirky on its own. I’ve tried teaching it to no avail.

Oh, and fermented foods ?? NO WAY

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in the US and at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what it is or is called, my stomach still sucks. I can’t digest veggies, you protein. Enzymes never helped me but HCL did for awhile.

The only thing that works for me is VERY SMALL snack sized meals every 3 hours. Works well with my insulin timin*too so at least that’s one good thing. I eat one ounce of protein at bf, 2 lunch but I divide that into 2 meals and 1.5 dinner. I also have either 1/2 soft boiled egg with lox and green onion( hubby eats the other half) or 1 oz melted Brie with pecans and onion at 5. All meals have 1/4 avocado and a small amount of veggies. I can’t eat anything with thick skins or seeds. Then the endless list of foods off the list for Diabetes as well as intolerances, like nightshades, dairy, etc

Keeping my meals to a few spoonfuls of protein with avo and chopped veg is the only thing that makes my stomach happy. It took awhile to look at my plate with this measly amount of food on it and not cry but then my stomach was so much happier I like it now. And eating again is just around the corner!

Going out to eat, forget it. It never ends well one way or another.

So it does sound like SIBO makes digestion impossible.

I avoid abx like the plague but when necessary I do take a pbx. But once sibo is there, it’s there to stay I guess
IMO eating out is totally overrated. I'd always so much prefer to eat in. And think how many avocados you could buy with the price of just one restaurant meal!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
IMO eating out is totally overrated. I'd always so much prefer to eat in. And think how many avocados you could buy with the price of just one restaurant meal!!!
I totally agree. I like my food better too!
I gave up on it when I found out one of our restaurants put gluten in their guacamole!
It’s just harder to socialize. Especially when I can only eat a handful of subpar food at one time. And no, never take home leftovers. Waste of money