High blood sugar following a cortisone injection

Jack3861

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI,

Im type 2 diabetic on tablets. Generally my readings are quite good. However last Thursday I was given a cortisone injection into my arthritic knee. This has had the effect of really pushing up my readings i.e. Friday morning before eating 14.9, Sat morning before eating 12.6 Sun moring 11.7 and Monday morning 9.2. It is coming down slowly but four hours after a very simple 'healthy' lunch it is around 10.2. Is this normal? - and is there anything I should be doing?

(My normal readings are: first thing in the morning around 6, before lunch 3.4 and before bed 7)

Kind regards,

(An excellent site)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't know why, but I believe that cortisone does this, so don't worry. Did the doctor who gave it know about the diabetes? He/she should have warned you

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Cortisone is a steroid.Steroids have this affect on blood sugars.People on long term steroids often develop diabetes.

lilibet

Although steroids do have some impacat on bg the one you took appears to be very bad for them i particular. Cortisol (cortisone is the synthetic form) is part of your regulatory hormones affecting bg, the main impact being that it blocks insulin from working the way its supposed to

This is why sick day rules (with cortisol being released in response to bodily stress) tell type 1's to increase their insulin requirements when unwell

It is also thought to contribute to Dawn Phenomenon, cortisol being the hormone that tells your liver to release glucose to help you get up in the morning

Something to be aware of.

L

martinbuchan

I did ask my rheumatology colleagues last year about this. They weren't sure or particilarily aware of BS rises after steroid injections- but there are reports that diabetics should expect an increase in blood sugar for at least a few days after a steroid injection. I give a lot of steroid injections into joints and soft tissues- a very safe procedure. These injections are done for reasonable symptoms- usually well worth it.

Ask for Kanalog steroid for injections (into joints/soft tissues/spine). It is aqueous based and not an oil suspension as used in Depomedrone /Adcortyl/triamcinolone/hydrocortisone variants. Causes far less 'steroid burn' which is a temporary flare up of the origiinal diagnosis.

As diabetics there must be a slight increase risk of infection (overall 1 in 10,000 chance). Not only is there a marked flare up in pain, there will be swelling, redness, tenderness, heat and a fever. Need antibiotics quickly from GP or A&E.

Trinkwasser

Oral steroids very often cause this, to the extent some people are given insulin to cover them.

IME from various newgroups and forums, some people get BG spikes following injected steroids and some don't. Probably depends on several factors but always worth watching out for.

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was just about to post a question about this and am glad I did a search first!

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder 2 days ago and have had my worst BG results since I started testing last August over the last couple of days. I'm T2, diet and exercise only, and had been getting under 6 on waking and highs of 8.5 after food; the last couple of days I've been between 8.1 and 10.0 and was getting very nervous.

But reading this has comforted me a bit; I'm off on hols for 4 days now and will hope it settles down over that period!

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And it did! Back to under 7 on fasting BG. I feel comfortable now.

As an aside, after 5 days eating Pizza in Sorrento, but doing loads of walking, I've somehow managed to lose 4lb in weight! :shock:

goldman

Had guided injection of cortisone in shoulder under ultrasound. After injection was asked if diabetic and then warning given. 1st reading within 1 hour was 14.1.
4 hours later 17.5.
20 hours later 14.7

Quite worrying but otherwise no symptoms.

A

Anonymous

Hi goldman,
had a few of those myself in various joints and there's no need to worry. Your bs should return to normal in a few days. Sometimes I've had no rise att all but when bs-levels have gone up it's only been for about three days. Just keep testing and use a little of your bolus if you think it's way too high, no need to change your basal dose for such a short period.
Speaking from a type1 perspective and experience - have no medical training. Hope your shoulder is better!

Yb35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had guided injection of cortisone in shoulder under ultrasound. After injection was asked if diabetic and then warning given. 1st reading within 1 hour was 14.1.
4 hours later 17.5.
20 hours later 14.7

Quite worrying but otherwise no symptoms.
Hi

I take cortisone injection quite regularly sometime every 6 months or more
My blood sugar always go up for few days and come down during this period I always cut don all the. Sweet food and carbohydrates
After injection around 14-15
And after few days go down to normal
Fasting 5-6
2H After breakfast (diet ) between 5:5-7.5
2H after lunch diner can be around 8:5
I only stick to meat , chicken and vegetables

They say a glass of whiskey reduce BS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI,

Im type 2 diabetic on tablets. Generally my readings are quite good. However last Thursday I was given a cortisone injection into my arthritic knee. This has had the effect of really pushing up my readings i.e. Friday morning before eating 14.9, Sat morning before eating 12.6 Sun moring 11.7 and Monday morning 9.2. It is coming down slowly but four hours after a very simple 'healthy' lunch it is around 10.2. Is this normal? - and is there anything I should be doing?

(My normal readings are: first thing in the morning around 6, before lunch 3.4 and before bed 7)

Kind regards,

(An excellent site)

Hi Jack,

I know that this thread is a few years old, but I have just had both knees injected this morning and by this afternoon I was tipping 15.8!!! I nearly fell off the chair! Normally my levels are in the range and I'm trying so hard as a newly diagnosed. I just wish the practitioner would have warned me of what to expect.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jack,

I know that this thread is a few years old, but I have just had both knees injected this morning and by this afternoon I was tipping 15.8!!! I nearly fell off the chair! Normally my levels are in the range and I'm trying so hard as a newly diagnosed. I just wish the practitioner would have warned me of what to expect.
I had a cortisone shot in one foot and a major op on my other foot at the same time just before Xmas. My blood sugars were well above normal for around a week. Of course I can’t tell whether it was the cortisone or the stress, pain etc... from the op but at least my surgeon did warn me! I’m sure yours will settle down soon x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I too was only given a warning after I had mentioned it to the nurse. I saw raised levels for about ten days.

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just asked t he same question as Jack3861- should have researched the site beforehand! My injection was into the shoulder two days ago and my p.m. BS today was 11.0. I am relieved to read that the levels gradually return to normal over a few days!