High blood sugars but low GI eating. Max 100g-120g carbs a day.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Hiya,

I am ridiculously confused as for the last 2 1/2 years I've been on a low glycemic plan which is my life plan. I eat a variety of fruit and vegetables... mainly berries and green veg. I eat lean veggie protein like tofu, quorn, soya, beans, pea protein etc and if I have cheese I use a low fat cream cheese like philadelphia or goats cheese.

I have a spinach and egg white omelette every day with tomatoes and soya sausages which I ensure have a high protein content.

I keep a visual food diary and a myfitnesspal diary which I have been keeping up to date for 2 years. www.instagram.com/fatfashionablefoodie

I'm type 1 and I'm on a basal bonus regime and have been on it for 10 years now. 40u levemir at night about 7.30pm and 40u levermir in the morning at about 7.30am. My Novorapid is around 3-6u with meals as the only time I need around 6 u is for adjustment doses or if I eat more than 50g of brown rice pasta or buckwheat noodles.

I do everything I can to stay fit and go hiking every weekend between 3-6 miles and I use my rowing machine for 30 mins once or twice a week and actively use Endomondo and a HRM.

In the last 2 weeks my sugars have been leaping between 8mmol and 20mmol. I'm on a dafne course waiting list and at some point eventually I will get somewhere on the pump list but at this moment both my consultant and I are confused. I can only think that it might be because I do 5 injections a day and my skin is very bruised. I have a muscular stocky build and my tummy is my only area with fat so my tummy and flanks have been the only places I have ever been able to inject into.

Has anyone else had the same issues? Am I taking too much Levermir? I had a couple of 20mmol's last week at 2-3am and put it down to the dawn phenomenom as I hadn't eaten heavy starches those days.

I've been getting bouts of feeling down when the sugar highs hit as it's so depressing.

Attachments

• Blood Test Results Graph 280414.jpg
    Blood Test Results Graph 280414.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 358

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I can't think of anything else thats causing it. Its the 40u at night and morning thats damaging my skin. My hubby sometimes injects onto the back of my flanks where I cam't reach but it still doesn't seem toach much difference. Unless I'm injecting too much?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Don't really know what could be keeping your levels high, for me that levemir dosage would be very high however if it was working for you before I can only think you are building insulin resistance either in your injection sites or other.

Since you track your macros you can tell if you are getting too much sat fat, I know that I can't get my levels down when I'm eating high fat due to the insulin resistance it causes.

On another note; buckwheat and brown rice may be touted as low GI but in my experience both cause huge spikes in blood sugar, I personally won't usually refer people to the glycemic index due to its poor reliability and reproducibility but they are both listed as above 50 with brown rice almost at 90 on Sydney Universities Glycemic Index.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSe...ct_category=&lop=AND&find=Find+Records&page=2

http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSe...AND&orderBy=GIG DESC&find=Find+Records&page=1

alaska

Food you have in Instagram looks real nice. Consistently high sugars rather suggests insulin resistance, it is possible to have insulin resistance as someone with type 1.

I see you hike, would you say you get enough physical activity over a week? Also, do your sugars improve following the hiking?

Muscles are sponges for sugar so working the muscles should draw sugar from the blood.

Other thought is whether any hormones are disrupting your endocrine system, for example a thyroid problem.

Reactions: 2 people

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Yeah my sugars are good on the day of the hike and the next morning but rise again by the end of the following day. Same as my rowing machine workouts.

If I have brown rice pasta its Doves Farm and only 50g worth. That would be my only carby starch of the day

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you upped your protein intake lately? I had mysteriously high BGs when I started low-carbing and taking protein shakes. It all settled when I cut the protein intake back to normal.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Todays overview as lunch, snacks etc already prepped. Just missing dinner and pre workout protein shake.

Attachments

• 1398680625288.jpg
    1398680625288.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 280

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I keep an eye on my protein but its no different to normal. Been making pea protein and almond milk shakes for a few years. I take iron and b vitamin supplements as I'm veggie.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
@alaska I had checked for hormones as I have pcos and my infertility status hasn't changed. I have a heart condition and kidney problems from early teens. Im on a host of bp and kidney meds but been on them 20 years so no change there.

@robert72 I dont think my protein intake has changed much. My macros are 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs 5%, Fat 75%, Protein 20% - Lantus 12u - NovoRapid 12u (5+2+5)
BMI 21

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I get a lot of my carbs from low gi fruit and veg and vegetarian protein sources. Where do you get your fat from? I eat nuts like almonds and I buy meridian peanut butter as the only ingredient is peanuts etc

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a lot of fat from butter, cream, yoghurt, nuts. As a vegetarian, I guess you could try olive oil, coconut oil

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found the ketogenic diet helps burn fat more efficiently. I have always been slim but developed a middle age spread a few years back, but that seems to have diminished now since low-carbing.

Reactions: 2 people