High glucose levels

colin1110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi., I had my yearly diabetes checkup yesterday & the nurse lowered my insulin (Levimer) from 42 to 12 but now I'm getting results of 14 or more I've been told to take my fast acting insulin (humalog) of 3 units after every meal., can anyone recommend a way of lowering my glucose levels without taking more insulin until my nurse gets back in touch hopefully tomorrow..,

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Keeping your carb intake low and exercise will help somewhat, hopefully your DSN will advise further tomorrow and get your insulin doses sorted.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a huge drop in Levemir ! What was this suggested ?

I'm wondering if the suggestion was to split your dose, instead of almost halving it ?

Another question is why she suggested taking Humalog after a meal, instead of before ?

How long have you been diagnosed as a Type 1, @colin1110 ?

Signy

colin1110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep I walk lots during the day., & keep a eye on my carb intake., reminds me of the fraise if it ain't broke don't fix it., my levels was fine until they changed my dosages hope it's sorted out tomorrow

colin1110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Heathenlass I've had diabetes about 6 years., on my old dosages of Levimer 42 in the morning & 28 at night my levels was usually around 4 - 6 & occasional high where needed humalog., so don't understand her reason for the sudden change., she went through my carb intake & suggested we give 12 Levimer in morning & 12 again at night plus 3 units of humalog after meals hope it's sorted out tomorrow as don't like having too many highs well none if possible

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yep I walk lots during the day., & keep a eye on my carb intake., reminds me of the fraise if it ain't broke don't fix it., my levels was fine until they changed my dosages hope it's sorted out tomorrow

So if your bg levels were fine before why did they change the doses, as Heathenlass says its a big drop in levemir from 42 units to 12.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, I see. I think ! :D

If your not sure of anything, and are not happy with the changes, write a list of questions and observations before the chat with your DSN.

Signy

colin1110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I'm not totally sure why the dramatic drop in my dosages as she didn't explain it very clearly., I think if was gonna lower the Levimer then maybe should've been a slight drop not that much of a drop., I'll make some notes about the results etc from today & talk to the nurse tomorrow., hopefully the dosages will go back to how they was as then be back to normal., my opinion is that I'm not taking enough insulin to keep my glucose low