HIgh Levela of Sugar Glucose in Urine

DeeNJai

Hi
Yesterday I went to the walk in centre thinking that i had a uti but when they test it it showed that I have a high level sg in the urine. She also tested my blood glucose and that was 10.5 and that was just over two hours after a meal. I checked at 8:30 that was six hours and it was still 9.5 and I hadnt had anything to eat since my Christmas meal of soup and Salmon with peas, carrots and sprout and Jacket Potato with butter. What should been after 6 hours after a meal. This morning it was 5.3 after 17.5 hours without any food. I did drink water during that time. I drink around 2.5 to 3 litres of water a day.

I have been having problems with urinated a lot more over last six months especially at night some nights i get up up to 3 times a night. I have a telephone consultation with my GP today to see what he wants me too do.
Dee :clap:

Nik442

Hi, good idea to speak with your GP who will decide on what action to take. Let us know how it goes and good luck.
There's loads of help and support on this forum.

Nik

DeeNJai

Just spoken to my GP he said there is nothing to worry as it seems that I have sugar in my urine most of the time when it has been checked. My last fbg test was in the normal range. I will still carry on checking to see if there is a problem. he also said that 10.5 is normal after 2.5 hours after a meal.
Dee

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DeeNJai said:
Just spoken to my GP he said there is nothing to worry as it seems that I have sugar in my urine most of the time when it has been checked. My last fbg test was in the normal range. I will still carry on checking to see if there is a problem. he also said that 10.5 is normal after 2.5 hours after a meal.
Dee

Strange how the NICE guidelines say we should be below 8.5 at 2 hours ideally though! :crazy:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but sugar in urine tested by dipsticks only shows at levels of about 10 or more.

I would be inclined to get a second opinion from another Doctor or Nurse if you can as those figures look a bit too high to be non-diabetic to me, but then I'm not a Doctor!

Regards
Angie

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid your doctor is wrong to say it is normal to have a reading of 10.5 mmol 2.5 hours after a meal assuming he was talking about your blood sugar reading in mmol. The NICE guidelines are quite clear on this and these guidelines are aimed at the GP. You can download them from the NICE/NHS Diabetes website. A fasting blood test is not the best test to check for diabetes. Better tests are the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) or the HBa1c test. All diabetics have the latter test at least once a year. I think you need to discuss this further with your GP. Any sugar in the urine which shows up on a urine stick shows something is not right and that the body is trying to get rid of an excess it shouldn't have.

DeeNJai

Yes was in mmol, I have never been offered a Glucose Tolerance Test none of GP practices have considered it. My brother has t2 diabetes and his surgery also missed it for quite a few years before the looked at his blood result again and they noticed that his blood sugars were high 2 years before. Since his gastric sleeve operation his sugars are nearly back in the normal range in total he has lost over 10 stone. When he had his surgery he was 21stone 9lbs and now he is just over 14 stone which isnt bad, he had his op in February this year.

I think the first urine test that came back abnormal was in in 1991 but they werent worry then either. How should i approach my GP about having the GTT to see if that show up anything. At times I have problems with my sugars going very low and then I feel ill. I am also having problems at night with pee'ing two or three times a night which isn't normal. Currently I am having problems with sleeping I am struggling to sleep and to stay a sleep. I have been put on something to help with this problem tonight will be day seven so far I dont think that they are helping at the moment. I will go back to my GP on Monday if there hasnt been any improvement. I just want some sleep that is a good quality and good quantity as only getting one or two hours together isnt helping my day time fatigue levels. Today I havent had a nap during the day so by 9pm I will be struggling to stay awake but I will try and hold out until 10pm so that I keep to the same bedtime as I normally do. I am trying to get up and go to bed at the same time so that my body clock stays in the correct time zone. By the way I have fibromyalgia and ME and also major allergies to drugs, foods and chemicals so it can be fun trying to work out what I can and cant have. I am allergic to Aspirin so that will be fun as I know they normally want people with diabetes to have an aspirin as day but that wont be happening.
Dee :lol:

DeeNJai

Another bad night where I havent had a lot of sleep and I have got up with another headache. Just done my blood sugar and it was 4.5. Before I went to bed it was 10.2 which was 2.5 hours after a gluten free pizza. I will take some paracitamol to try and get rid of a headache.
Dee

DeeNJai

Hi
Slightly off topic but I was wondering if the high sugar levels and overactive bladder problems could be part of the problem as I was diagnosed in 2003 with Overactive bladder syndrome and my bladder can hold up to one litre of urine. My problems have been getting worse over the last 21 years. I am running out medication to control the problem currently I am on the last medication for the bladder. I have just had it increased to the maximum amount so hopefully it will work for a while as if this fails then I dont know what I will do. I am not due to see my urologist until September/October 2013 so ages away yet. I did monitor my bg for a while from February to April and again had some quite high reading the highest ever reading was 12.4 on 22 February but other have been over 11.3 over that period of time.

I will get some more finger prickers things today so that i can carry on checking my blood glucose. Currently I take quite a cocktail of drugs already. Currently I take 31 pills a day.
Dee

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. From what you say you have a complex set of conditions and it's not possible for any us to help that much. I would certainly keep monitoring your blood suagr 2 hours after a main meal. A reading in the early teans is too high but not disastrously so (mine was 13.8 when I got up this morning!). I think all you can do currently is to control your carb intake in line with your meter readings and try to work with your GP on handling your other conditions

DeeNJai

Hi
This morning I took my bg was 7.7 which is high. i am not sure why it is so high. Again I had another bad night where I couldnt get back sleep after I got up to go to the toilet at 3am. I got up at 7:30am.
Dee

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello good morning all. I think we have to be careful about saying the doctor was wrong, I do agree that the readings about 10 are high but at the same time reading through this post I have seen some normal readings too. I wonder if it ould be plausible that you ask your gp for a HBA1c test to see what your BG has been doing for a longer period of time this is a more accurate reading of your blood sugar trend as illness can cause temp changes even in people without diabetes such as when in defence the body raises its temperature to combat infection and that would need more sugar to do so.

Hope this is of help

Simon aka Cobra3164

DeeNJai

Hi
I do have regular blood tests to see that my bg is doing and also the throid is doing. it always comes back in the normal range around 6.5.
Dee

DeeNJai

Hi
Yesterday I had another hypo where my blood glucose dropped down to 3.7. I knew there was a problem because I wasn't feeling to great. I couldnt check my BG until after church had finished. I had a hypo in January this year as well but this one wasnt as bad as that one.
Dee

DeeNJai

Hi
Should I be worried as I have had two hypo's in the last two days. Yesterday it was 3,3 and today it was 3.6. I have a headache, dizy blurred vision and a few other symptoms of a hypo. I took some dextro tablets and 15 mins and it was 10.7mmol/l. I have had something to eat and hopefully that will help. I have rang NHS Direct and they are going to get a doctor to ring within 6hrs and yes 6hrs. They will have to come to the house as I been told that I cant use my electric chair so that means i cant get to the out of hours centre. I know that this means that other people would have to wait longer to see the doctor. What do you think the doctor will do as currently not a diabetic.
Dee

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
DNJai
There are some peole who have sugar in urine most of the time and are not diabetic. It's called "low Renal threshold"
All cases of sugar in urine should be checked.
Hana

DeeNJai

Hi
I have had another hypo again this afternoon is that is now 4 since last Sunday . I will be going the doctors on Monday about this as its not normal. I spoke to an out of hours nurse early this afternoon she said that i am doing everything right to get my sugar levels up and she suggested that i go and see my gp on Monday.
Dee

DeeNJai

Hi
I been to the doctors and she will be sending me to see a Endocrinologist as it not normal for someone that isn't diabetic to getting these hypo's. She wasn't that happy that i am testing my blood but hopefully i might be able to see what is causing this problem. i am eating a normal diet so not sure where to go now. I was looking at my diary and at the January and the middle February I had 6 hypo's so I will tell the docor about these too. She said that my kidneys are just leaky and that is fine. Hopefully they will be able to find out what is going on.
Dee