Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Heat can make your BGs go up but (I'm no medical person) if it continues for more than a day or two then do make an appointment with your GP as the swollen ankles sound a bit suspect. If you start to feel really poorly then a quick trip to A&E might be the best bet.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Heat can make your BGs go up but (I'm no medical person) if it continues for more than a day or two then do make an appointment with your GP as the swollen ankles sound a bit suspect. If you start to feel really poorly then a quick trip to A&E might be the best bet.
levels aint really high just higher than normal, lowest today is 7.9 but i have to check or else anxiety kicks in and i dont need that, i allways get swollen ankles in the heat, im on 20mg furusemide for it and i actually had feet up until yesterday when they swelled a little, today they swelled again and come 5ish they were sore so i called dr and im now on 40mg furusemide until the swelling goes, its gotton worse over the past 4 years since being diagnosed with underactive thyroid

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
levels aint really high just higher than normal, lowest today is 7.9 but i have to check or else anxiety kicks in and i dont need that, i allways get swollen ankles in the heat, im on 20mg furusemide for it and i actually had feet up until yesterday when they swelled a little, today they swelled again and come 5ish they were sore so i called dr and im now on 40mg furusemide until the swelling goes, its gotton worse over the past 4 years since being diagnosed with underactive thyroid

I've got an underactive thyroid as well - I have to spend a lot of the hottest days with my feet up as my ankles do start to swell - I'm sure my husband thinks I'm stringing him along to get out of housework, etc. :) The reason I said about going to your GP is because I've been told off a few times for ignoring my puffy ankles. I've also been told that if they go red I should go to A&E.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh it's not just me! <3

I'm been so delighted with how my feet are starting to resemble feet again - yesterday they were positively skinny! - but today they're swelling up and are quite, quite painful.

I'm blaming the heat, but I'm also feeling a bit under the weather. Nothing specific, just a bit "Meh".

My remedy is to lie on the settee with my feet slightly elevated while enjoying a Buffy / old ER marathon (I type... as I do the worst thing for them - sit at a desk for ages and don't move them at all).

I hope yours go down soon!

Sock x

Reactions: licklemoose

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you checked your blood pressure ? swollen ankles often come from that regardless of diabetes - its possible you are overdoing the salt part of LCHF and thus retaining more water than your bp can cope with.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
I've got an underactive thyroid as well - I have to spend a lot of the hottest days with my feet up as my ankles do start to swell - I'm sure my husband thinks I'm stringing him along to get out of housework, etc. :) The reason I said about going to your GP is because I've been told off a few times for ignoring my puffy ankles. I've also been told that if they go red I should go to A&E.
ive got myself a foot spa for when its hot and i stick my feet in with cold water, it dont help with the swelling but sure feels good
ive been to drs many times with swollen ankles and nothing has been said
they have never gone red but i will keep that in mind

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Have you checked your blood pressure ? swollen ankles often come from that regardless of diabetes - its possible you are overdoing the salt part of LCHF and thus retaining more water than your bp can cope with.
i dont do much salt
blood pressure is 116/73

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my levels seem higher than normal today
is it to do with the heat?
im drinking lots and hardly eaten
and my feet are swollen despite being on water tablets :( .(
Yes today my BG level is higher than normal but at 30 degrees today no surprise.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, personally, and for my OH puffy ankles points to dehydration. Of course, that is counter-intuitive, but for us that's a big clue. Dehydration can lead to slightly raised blood scores too.

In this warmer weather are you drinking enough?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
For me, personally, and for my OH puffy ankles points to dehydration. Of course, that is counter-intuitive, but for us that's a big clue. Dehydration can lead to slightly raised blood scores too.

In this warmer weather are you drinking enough?
im pretty sure i drink enough, i have a 5 litre bottle of water beside me all day, if i go out i take a half litre bottle with me and im allways drinking