High reading, on meter, but no Diabetes?

NJ239

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there :)

Diabetes runs in my family, so I bought myself a meter, and did some testing. That was the beginning of a lot of questions and frustration.

I'm 30 yes old, male, normal height normal build, og normal weight. I've been under a lot of stress, the last year, and have had, a sedentary lifestyle, until recently.

Using the glucose meter, I've had morning readings, that are in the range of good-normal. About 4.7 - 5.3. Though I noticed that I could get some quite high readings after breakfest, even 2 hours later. At one point, where was quite stressed, I even got a readings over 9.1, 1.5 hours after breakfest (cereal / musli).

About 3 months ago, I went to my doctor, who took a HbA1C, which came back 5.1. He said, that it was extremely unlikely that I have diabetes, or even pre-diabetes.

Not really convinced that everything wa okay, I started to work out more, eat much better, etc.

To make a long story very short, I, somehow, got the idea, of doing a glucose tolerence test.... at home... I know how this sounds :) Well, of course I had to do it "right away", so afer work, I went home, a drank 75g of sugar desolved in water. I was on a carbo-restricted diet, not fasting, and I used a home-gucose meter. The results were quite upsetting. 1 hour after drinking the sugar water, I had some VERY high readings.... up to 15.3 :( and 2 hours later, the value were a bit over 8!

I wen't to my doctor, and 2 days later, we did a "real test" and a HbA1C. The fasting blood sugar was 5.3 ( a bit high, maybe because of stress, og from the bike ride to the clinic). The nurse only drew one blood sample, 2 hours after I drank the sugar water, and it was at 6.5. Also my HbA1C was at 5. My doctor told me, that I was just fine - no diabetes, not even pre-diabetes. He claimed that the meter could be faulty, that there are big differences between capillary- and vein blood results, and reminded me, that I was not fasting and on a carbo-restricted diet.... Well of course, this was all great - but the doubt never really left my mind.

Honestly I don't know what to make of it all. What do you guys think? :)

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-21_15-0-12.png
    upload_2014-7-21_15-0-12.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 201

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You do not have diabetes is my honest thought on this matter. Put away your meter and relax. However, no harm in eating a healthy diet low in carbs and taking a little more exercise! Also I believe that for the 2 hour glucose tests you have to have been eating a reasonable amount of carbs in the days leading up to the test. A low carb diet may have affected the result. If I'm wrong on this someone will correct me.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your doctor is right on all counts . A low carb diet will raise results as will not fasting before you start. The test uses glucose not sucrose.
Venous and capillary glucose aren't comparable. They are similar when fasting(which you weren't) but they are very different after a glucose challenge.
One study found these average differences. The finger prick readings were consistently higher from 15 min onwards.
,,,,,,,,,,,, 0.......15min... 30m..... 45m .......60m ..... 90m ....120m
diff % 4.8%.... 32.3%....41.8%...31.8%...39.7% ...49.5%.... 41.7%

http://www.ipcbee.com/vol39/040-ICNFS2012-N3003.pdf

Your doctor,s test is far more accurate.