High saturated fat in blood triggers damage to beta cells

Tannith

BANNED
" Both a high fat diet and obesity trigger insulin resistance independently, with a high fat diet contributing to overweight and obesity" :

" High saturated fats in circulation, derived mainly from diets or even from lipolysis of fat depots, lead to fatty acids and glucose competing for uptake and metabolism in tissues. With persistent hyperglycemia, increased saturated FFA induce a glucolipotoxic state that is detrimental to beta cells by increasing oxidative stress, subsequently reducing insulin synthesis and secretion thereby compromising both beta cell structure and function."
Taken from a long scientific article about how beta cells are destroyed by (amongst other things) saturated fat in the bloodstream.
High fat diet modulation of glucose sensing in the beta-cell. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17179917

Reactions: Arlmy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"There is an increase in dietary fat intake, particularly saturated fat, in both the developing and Westernized world, which predisposes individuals to become obese and to potentially develop insulin resistance"

So it's nothing to do with sugar or carbs then...

Ok everyone stop the LCHF diet and go back to eating carbs all the time...!

Seriously?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
" Both a high fat diet and obesity trigger insulin resistance independently, with a high fat diet contributing to overweight and obesity" :

" High saturated fats in circulation, derived mainly from diets or even from lipolysis of fat depots, lead to fatty acids and glucose competing for uptake and metabolism in tissues. With persistent hyperglycemia, increased saturated FFA induce a glucolipotoxic state that is detrimental to beta cells by increasing oxidative stress, subsequently reducing insulin synthesis and secretion thereby compromising both beta cell structure and function."
Taken from a long scientific article about how beta cells are destroyed by (amongst other things) saturated fat in the bloodstream.
High fat diet modulation of glucose sensing in the beta-cell. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17179917

Why the bold/larger font? It is considered 'Shouting' in print.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do wish people here would just stop framing everything in simple “either” (fat) “or” (carbs) terms that just lead to pathetic arguements. The human body and the diversity between us and our metabolic processes is so much more complex.

Edit - Partial apologies for being so blunt but Im currently dealing with a medical emergency in my family and my tolerance for pointless nonsense is much lower than normal

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wonder why Doctors have to train for so long, when it appears from numerous posts on this forum that the workings of the human body is so simple.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wonder why Doctors have to train for so long

Me too especially when most seem to know so little about our condition..

@Tannith do you have a link to the "long scientific article" rather than the abstract.. was this possibly a study on rats rather than people?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the high fat diet I am on should not be making me thinner and more healthy but causing weight gain and illness - it seems that the first assumption is wrong - not much hope for the rest of the article then.
I note that the damage to beta cells is a combination of high BG and saturated fat - so keeping carbs and BG low is good? Or just not something to be contemplated ever happening?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blast!

What a load of b*ll*cks...is my official comment.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blast!

What a load of b*ll*cks...is my official comment.
Agree. The study seems to be looking at the condition of concurrent hyperglycaemia, with hyperlipidemia and also high SFA content. Which in terms of the human stasis is unlikely under normal conditions. It may be an enforced condition for the study, but is probably not directly related to dietary intake. So I believe it to be a false scenario, or at best a rare occurrence. Our bodies normally regulate the production of lipids according to demand, and has no direct relation to dietary intake, In fact high lipids seem to require low bgl levels to trigger increased FFA production. and is held back by the presence of high glucose levels. So unless there is some interference with this normal pathway, then it should not be a homeostasis condition.

Reactions: Guzzler

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
curious: are palm oils considered to be OK on a LCHF diet? I didnt realise they are saturated in a bad way, unlike good butter fat.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that.. had found it too.. and it was a rat study or was based on rat studies.. also they didn't specify the "High Fat Diet" the rats were put on..Although I think I may recall it was palm oil from other articles on a similar subject.
I think I saw these studies put forward during a WFPB debate we had on this forum previously, and it was pointed out that the rats were specially bred for hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia before the trial. Selective breeding led to abnormal test subjects from the start. The diet fed to the rats was also heavily doctored to force feed the fat into the rats along the lines of pate foie gras, i.e. high carb + high fat = obesity. Why am I not surprised? it is a HCHF diet. One observation noted in this study is that a high fat diet led (i.e. caused ) to a high glucose level in the blood, which is certainly not my experience.

I see this study uses mainly in vitro conditions (i.e. test tube and post mortem) and then made direct cross reference to in vivo studies in humans. I do not buy into this methodology at all.

Reactions: kokhongw

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
curious: are palm oils considered to be OK on a LCHF diet? I didnt realise they are saturated in a bad way, unlike good butter fat.
It is easy to confuse Palm oil which is like most other vegetable oils with Palmitic Acid or Stearic acid, which are most easily converted into transfats and which are very close in chemical compound to acetone which is a basic building block in human biology (aka lego bricks) The acids can lead to inflammation in the body and are considered harmful.
e.g. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753123 for a bit of light reading (Not!)

There are environmental reasons why one should reconsider using Palm Oil in diet (South Sea Bubble?) since the crop is depleting useful land mass for its cultivation. It is mainly used for biofuel synthesis now, and bottles of palm oil are hard to find in supermarts.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I can only speak for myself, maybe I'm the exception . . . . . . . . . I think I've avoided fat of any type for so many years that my stomach just will not tolerate it too well at all.

My low carb diet is just that, low carb, I don't need the extra calories of having high fat as well, especially as my stomach doesn't cope with it. That is not the same for everyone.

I'm not going to mention Ancel Keys, mainly because of the the slightly inaccurate conspiracy surrounding his 6, 7, 22 country study. I haven't quite got to the bottom of that conundrum.

I recently watched a whole video saying exactly what's in the sentence I quoted from Tannith's post. Very disturbing because it was too easy to shout rubbish. I obviously need to keep an open mind and do further research.

Reactions: Boo1979