Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Then why am I still trying to gain/stabilise my weight on a high fat diet? We are unique. Carbs make me gain weight, fat of any kind doesn't make me gain weight. This is because I am using all the fats I ingest for fuel, the carbs make me store fat. It is very simple.
Thank you for kindly defending me against that post. The quotes were indeed pasted from elsewhere and I do indeed have cataracts. Hence I use emboldening and underlining to pick out the bits I am looking for from what is otherwise one massive blur. It is not nice to be picked on for one's disability.

I am disabled and I was asking a question. Perhaps I should have realised there might be another reason for the emboldened and large font but I was in no way 'picking' on you.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for kindly defending me against that post. The quotes were indeed pasted from elsewhere and I do indeed have cataracts. Hence I use emboldening and underlining to pick out the bits I am looking for from what is otherwise one massive blur. It is not nice to be picked on for one's disability.
I usually enjoy @Guzzler 's posts so I will put this rare aberration down to a bad glucose moment.
Geoff

Arlmy

Thank you for posting
I am very grateful that you took the time to share this information

Arlmy

I'm no scientist - but from everything else I have read, what is being stated here seems to be entirely consistent with the shoddy science previously espoused for the fat is bad hypothesis. my comments in red

"Type 2 diabetes is primarily associated with beta-cell failure, insulin resistance and elevated hepatic glucose production. I believe T2 diabetes is primarily associated with hugely elevated levels of insulin production coming from an inability to process modern foods which cause inflated glucose responses compared to natural foods.

The islet beta-cell is specialized for the synthesis, storage and secretion of insulin. Beta-cell failure is characterized by the inability of the beta-cell to secrete sufficient insulin in response to glucose, which ultimately results in hyperglycemia- the clinical hallmark of Type 2 diabetes. I believe that beta cell failure is a function of asking it to continue to produce huge levels of insulin because of the resistance that comes from having too much circulating insulin . The clinical hall mark for T2 diabetes is simply wrong. The correct clinical hallmark should be increasing circulating insulin which precedes current actual T2 diagnosis by about 10-15 years.

Impairment in glucose sensing contributes to beta-cell dysfunction. The facilitative glucose transporter, GLUT-2, and glucose phosphorylating enzyme, glucokinase, are key for glucose sensing of the pancreatic beta-cell, the initial event in the pathway for glucose-stimulated insulin secretion.

There is an increase in dietary fat intake, particularly saturated fat, in both the developing and Westernized world, which predisposes individuals to become obese and to potentially develop insulin resistance, beta-cell dysfunction and Type 2 diabetes. This is pure speculation - there is no particular evidence I have seen that it is dietary fat intake that predisposes one to become obese - instead there is evidence that too much circulating insulin caused by too much refined carbohydrate and industrial seed oils leads to disregulated appetite and obesity - the actual diet involved in doing this is actually not a high " saturated " fat diet - it is a "high carb, high fat" diet comprising lots of refined carbohydrates cooked in lots of industrial seed oils eaten to excess.

A high fat diet is known to reduce both GLUT-2 and glucokinase expression thereby impairing glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. How did they define a " high fat" diet - I doubt that it was by feeding the subject high quality meats that happen to be high in saturated fat coupled with good quality fresh vegetables.

Furthermore, a high fat diet and specific free fatty acids, induces oxidative stress and apoptosis which reduces beta-cell mass and compromises beta-cell function.

All the stuff I have read suggests that oxidative stress is actually the same thing they are talking about in relation to heart disease - ie the contents of one's blood stream - leading to the fat/ heart hypothesis and the same rubbish about LDL cholesterol . A high fat diet reliably REDUCES triglycerides - ( fat ) in the blood stream

Glucose sensing is the initial event of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion therefore it is imperative to maintain adequate expression levels of GLUT-2 and GK for ensuring normal beta-cell function. The development of pharmaceutical agents that improve glucose-stimulated insulin secretion may replenish expression of these glucose sensing genes after their attenuation by high fat feeding. Hmm so the response to having too much insulin in circulation is to find drugs that will cause you to secrete even more insulin - nice one. - entirely indicative of the fact that scientists are being blinded by their masters into looking for a pharmaceutical solution to everything as opposed to going back to the root cause ( defined by them as "high fat feeding" and by me as ( high carb, high fat, highly processed food feeding)

Now consider what happens when you adopt a low carb, high fat diet of natural foods thus getting rid of refined carbs and industrial seed oils

Your glucose levels come down, your circulating insulin levels come down. The level of triglycerides ( fat in the blood stream) comes down, your level of HDL - the good cholesterol goes up. Your level of inflammation all over your body comes down,(GGT is a good marker for this) your risk of heart attack comes down. All of these are known and reliably charted in anyone following a proper real foods low carb diet.

In those circumstances - the idea that somehow this process is having a deleterious effect on beta -cell function compared with the positive benefits it is creating on everything else is bizarre and shows how misleading this " science" is .

It is becoming very clear to me that for me personally there are a few basic markers I want to track that indicate my underlying state of metabolic health .

Hba1C - coupled with relatively steady individual glucose readings,
Low fasting insulin
High HDL
Low Triglycerides
Low GGT

I KNOW I can get all of these through a natural foods, low carb diet which includes fatty meat, diary, and fatty fish to taste.

From an obesity standpoint I am looking to get my waist to be less than 50% of my height) ( not quite there yet) all of the other markers are now well into " normal " ranges.

I will take my own personal markers over this type of " scientific" report any day of the week, not least because I have the blood tests that prove it.

Very interesting to read
Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Guzzler

Tannith

BANNED
Thank you for posting
I am very grateful that you took the time to share this information

I am very grateful to the scientists who researched and wrote this information for letting me know that eating saturated fat damages the beta cells (at least in T2s). Now I can replace more of the saturated fat I was eating with monounsaturated and improve my health.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am of the opinion that a diet that is moderate/high in natural fats and low in carbohydrates aids in restoring, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the individual, the metabolism to more normal, non Diabetic levels. The Diet Heart myth is/has been debunked. For fifty years we have been conditioned to fear fats especially saturated fats on the shoddy, ego driven research of one man in particular and by the food industries. The research quoted by the OP does not stand up to scrutiny and may also be described as shoddy and disjointed. I prefer to to accept research that is clinically clear, unbiased and that is not in any way funded by Big Food or Big Pharma. The fats that I avoid are the industrially manufactured sludge that is cooking oils be they seed/vegetable/soy based. Natural fats such as those from olives, olive oil, nuts, fatty meats and dairy products suit me because I do not have a fear of fats and refuse to be led by the nose back into the western diet which contributed to my development of T2.

This is my personal opinion. Those whose research leads them to a different conclusion are without doubt entitled to hold different views but I would urge anyone who is delving into research to do it carefully and to make sure that they understand as best they can what that research actually means as well as doing secondary fact checking.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very grateful to the scientists who researched and wrote this information for letting me know that eating saturated fat damages the beta cells (at least in T2s). Now I can replace more of the saturated fat I was eating with monounsaturated and improve my health.
Even if they happen to be wrong/mistaken/incorrect?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even if they happen to be wrong/mistaken/incorrect?
If it ends up posted on this forum, then hopfully there will be suitable discussion to ensure any failings are exposed. At the end of the day it is open to each and every one of us to make our own decision as to what course of action to take as a result. The purpose of this Forum it to make sure it is as informed a choice as we can make it,

We sometimes need bum science to light our path. since walking down a path in the pitch dark often involves feeing our way using both sides for guidance. Main Roads often have white lines painted on both sides to show where the road is.when we are dazzld by oncoming headights.

It is by showing how pseudo science can paint a false picture that we can demonstrate that we need to question everything and not to assume that the good looking presenter in the video clip actually undertands what they are selling. I avoid Guru's like the plague for this reason, and become suspicious if there seems to be too much reliance on what they say. I need more than one POV before I start to agree, and I often read up research papers to see what others are doing that may independently back up any claims being made.