lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Morning all.

Ive posted countless times with erratic sugar levels and ive kept a detailed diary for about three months. My sugar levels have no consistency at all. Im feeling fed up, irritated and lost. Currently my sugar levels are about 20 when I wake up. I take 1 unit to bring me down 1.5 as my correction. My ratios are 1:1 for all meals. My lantus is 22 units at 9pm. Ive been to see the diabetes team. They saw my basal test results for breakfast; 19mml waking dropped to 13mml by midday. So they told me to lower my lantus considerably. Now my levels are 20 minimum. This morning they were 20 upon waking. Took 6 to correct it down to 10mml. Two hours later they are 23. I had a few carbs which I took a ratio of 1:1 for.

Then yesterday my levels were 24 at 11am. I took 11 units correction to drop me 16 which they did in ONE hour.

Can anyone help me? Ive done basal tests. It doesnt make any sense. Thank you...

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Oh the dsn said I could change to levemier.. but I have to wait for a letter to go to the gp before anyone can prescribe it to me. Great!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ,
When you say 1:1 is that 1 unit for 1 carb?

What was your blood sugar before you went to bed?

It might be helpful if you can post up what you ate, what times and how much insulin? Then we can see better and maybe someone can help?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi thanks for your reply. Sorry. It is 1 unit for 10g. I will post later my meal of that helps at all. Thanks so much x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To me you are needing more basal...

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Do you take 1 basal injection a day or 2?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I take 1 injection of basal a day. Tried splitting it & I had hypos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
God, I do feel for you. Type 1 can be a minefield at times, can't it ? I know.:(

I hope you can get it sorted our sooner rather than later, for more stable BS.

All the best

RRB

Reactions: 3 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I feel really down about it today. I feel like im insulin resistant all of a sudden. Its depressing. Im scared having such high levels :( it seems bizarre and I'm tired of it. Juat want to live normally.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I think the fact that ive tried everything yet im still gettimg stupidly high readings is the hard bit. Ive kept diaries, basal tested, changed lantus from 30 units to 20 due to hypos, now opposite problem. Tried splitting. Now I have levemier pending. I have tried doubling ratios. Im either hypoing or hypering. What would you do? All dsn nurse keep saying is to change lantus. Up down up down. What is causing these extreme highs???

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
It can be a right pain - trying to locate and find the exact units
of basal / bolus insulin that your own body needs .

Questions of how much or little needed can be confusing and worrying too .
Especially when testing your BS levels with readings on the higher side .

Maybe a vist back to your GP/DSN ASAP is needed .

Soonest you are on the correct insulin dosage and routine/regime will
be far better for you .

Please let us know how things go .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel really down about it today. I feel like im insulin resistant all of a sudden. Its depressing. Im scared having such high levels :( it seems bizarre and I'm tired of it. Juat want to live normally.

I nearly had heart failure this morning I can you ( unbelievable BS), wanted to scream and curse, so I had a little rant on here instead. When my my teenager came downstsirs and asked me" whats up" ? I said I had a high BS this morning, but would not tell her the number :arghh:

RRB :banghead:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Depends... Can be foods...this is why people are interested in the foods you eat.

I suspect its just the basal qty.... Have you got 1/2 unit pens? Has your dsn talked about a pump?

Did you split basal evenly or was it adjusted to the times of basal testing?

If you are eating more at xmas then this may also affect your basal rate.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Icarter
reading through your posts a few things stand out for me
i realise we are all different but you sound as though you could have brittle diabetes.
i dont want my post to be moderated so i won't put a link in but you could google it to find out more.

as you say you keep diaries have you been on a carb counting course such as DAFNE ?? ( dose adjustment for normal eating. )
my carb to insulin requirements change throughout the day.

also your basal does sound a bit low but the best way to adjust that is to move it in no more than 10% increments so from 20 to 22 and then test 3 days of fasting BG's in the morning before making any further adjustments.

I really really feel for you kiddo -- hang in there - I'm rooting for you !!!

Reactions: 2 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Its been this way for about a month..if not more. I have half unit pens. I have eaten normally for me so if its the foods then it's bizarre its suddenly different..my weight and eating hasnt changed. When I split my lantus we did it to suit basal testing, then when that didn't change anything we split it evenly.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
It can be a right pain - trying to locate and find the exact units
of basal / bolus insulin that your own body needs .

Questions of how much or little needed can be confusing and worrying too .
Especially when testing your BS levels with readings on the higher side .

Maybe a vist back to your GP/DSN ASAP is needed .

Soonest you are on the correct insulin dosage and routine/regime will
be far better for you .

Please let us know how things go .

Hi. I have been back and forth to the gp and dsn...over a month. They seem as confused as me which is NOT helping me...the dsn team are not working until Monday....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Incidentally what is your basal / bolus ratio? Is it anout 50/50? How much carbs on an average day?

What about discussing a pump?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear you are still having such a tough time :(

The fact is ...not everyone does well on Lantus . You may well find that you become much steadier on Levemir, and failing that , another basal such as Tresiba or an oldie but goodie like Insulatard. An important thing to take on board is that this is not your fault. You're trying hard with the tools you have been given, and there really isn't a " one size suits all " . It may be worth seeing your GP anyway, and asking for a prescription change to Levemir, given the delays in letter writing and post over the holidays, your GP may be willing to do this, or check with a phone call to your DSN rather than wait for a letter :rolleyes:

Another suggestion is to have another look at your diary and see if you can identify which meals are having high BG's post meal at a 1:10g ratio. Your ratios may need tweaking at different times of the day, for example try 1.5:10g at the times 1:10g don't touch it . A half unit pen is so good for fine tuning :) that goes for Basal too.

You may well find though that the change of basal will make a huge difference, so stick to one change at a time and keep up with the diary. Highlighter pens help spot patterns and improve tweaking where needed .

Good luck, and you WILL get this sorted in the end :)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Until we see a snippet of your food / insulin diary we are all guessing really.
The more info you can give the better the advice will be :)

Reactions: 4 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
When I am home I will do so.