high sugar

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
wow... got up this morning with a slightly high reading of 8, didnt eat brekky, nipped out to the shops, got back feeling a bit icky (not unusual for some reason im always feeling a bt sick nowadays) tested my sugar and 20.0!!! :shock:

oh well there goes me eating anything for a bit :)

ClaireG 06

Look after yourself. That is a big rise, especially as you hadn't eatern. Do you think you could be coming down with something?

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
with 2 young kids... coming down with something is a distinct possibility :D all though in all honesty I better not be :) im going back to work next week and even though I've had 9 months off I can't afford any time off sick, was on level 3 sick before I left and I still need another 3 months of not being sick to clear the stage and not risk loosing my job :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you tried basal testing without eating breakfast before??? Mine too goes up hugely, but pump stopped that now.....

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Usually i test about 6/7 am and getting goodish readings of about 6... dont normally have brekky until about 8/9 and when i test again at this stage i can pretty much guarantee it has gone up... usually around 8 but has occasionally gone to 10...

When i got home from the post office I was expecting it to be slightly higher, but only 12/14 not 20! I don't know who i was kidding but i was kinda hoping the little bit of exercise would have at least held it level or brought it down :oops: oh well i've learnt a lesson :)

i dont usually skip my brekky, just unfortunately had nothing in... well we had bread but the toaster is broken and I do NOT do kitchen stuff... last time I made something I burnt it!!! My 3 year old's comment still makes me laugh "mummy don't burn the house down, I can't see... I'm going to tell daddy" :lol:

iHs

Dragonflye said:
wow... got up this morning with a slightly high reading of 8, didnt eat brekky, nipped out to the shops, got back feeling a bit icky (not unusual for some reason im always feeling a bt sick nowadays) tested my sugar and 20.0!!! :shock:

oh well there goes me eating anything for a bit :)

Hi

I would imagine that you have already done this but if not make sure that you wash your hands again and then repeat bg test. It's possible that you dipped your fingers in something while you were at the shops and you might have got a false reading on the meter. Although you could be coming down with a bug, I doubt if it would cause your bg levels to rise so quickly so...............

If your bg is still high then it's also possible for something to be wrong with the pump, so try and do a prime of about 8u to see if insulin gets through the tube. If it doesn't, then the tube is blocked and you will need to take out the cartridge to look for air. If air is present you will see it at the end of the insulin where the neck of the cartridge is so you will need to push it out using the plunger over the sink and then re insert the cartridge with the piston in a new postion and then do a prime again. If you have been able to do a prime all ok in the first instance, then the problem will be with the infusion set so you will need to replace it.

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi iHs :) well i have had a dodgy batch of infusion sets, spoke to medtronic this morning who told me they didnt sound to be right so getting some replacements :) I was due to change the infusion set today so didnt bother testing it before I took it out :) Just going to feed my little man his lunch then will be checking to make sure my sugars are/have come down :)

thinking i may delay my brekky over the next couple of days to see if a pattern is occuring then I will see if I can change my pump bolus if it's required :) my DSN said I didnt need to bother as it was only going up to about 8 by the time I'm eating but if there is something weird going on I may be able to keep tighter control on it :) pumping has made me nervous... so far I've had to do very little in changes, I fought so long for it and researched so much was expecting for it to be harder than it has been... aside from 2 major nighttime hypos where my hubby has needed to use glucogon, my diabetes has been pretty well controlled on pump :)