Higher than normal white blood cells

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, cruel and pompous people
Hello, I have been informed by my doctor that I have higher than normal white blood cells. Could this be in anyway related to my diabetes? I know it isn't down to too much alcohol so can rule that out. Have been very, very tired for some time but this was always put down to the diabetes. I am having extra blood tests taken next week but wondered if anyone else had this problem. It is normally down to a low grade 'fever' which I do have off and on but have no idea why. any info gratefully received. I didn't go into depth with the doctor as she had a student sitting in which shut me up for a change! She did say they had a 'little raised for some time but are now going higher.'
Thanks.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi silverfishes
Warm welcome to the forum . :)

Have you had any repeated infections,bugs, of late ?
Reason I ask this is raised white blood cells can be sign
of infection within the body .

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi silverfishes

Certaily only time I've had raised WBC was with UTI!

Reactions: 2 people

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi silverfishes

Hi anna29, I have had a slightly raised temperature for quite some time but this was always dismissed as it was always ok when I was at the doctor's. I have no idea what is causing it to go up. I do have chronic sinusitis and she asked if my joints ache, which they do. I have the extra blood tests booked for next Monday so will find out soon enough I suppose. Just impatient!!! She did, reassuringly, say it is not high enough for leukaemia. She checked chest/glands/ etc.

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh well, I can only assume it is not to do with the diabetes just something else to deal with. Good job husband is retiring as well this week as I may be back and forth to doc's with this and I don't drive.:(

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Mine are always raised. I have trigger finger so sort of arthritis and that's the reason for me.

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine are always raised. I have trigger finger so sort of arthritis and that's the reason for me.

Hi Dawnmc, Ahhh, I am having a problem with my hip and my knee, I have had two cartilage ops on that knee over the years but it IS swollen at the moment after I wore slightly higher heels after slopping around in my slippers for ages.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine are the opposite: too low.... have been for a loonnngggg time now though, so who knows if related...? I guess type 1 is an auto-immune condition, so there could be a link....?

Reactions: 2 people

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine are the opposite: too low.... have been for a loonnngggg time now though, so who knows if related...? I guess type 1 is an auto-immune condition, so there could be a link....?

Hi Artemis, There is still an awful lot that is 'unknown' with diabetes, they don't really know if I am type 1 or 2 as I have a lot of unexpected hypo's so they think the pancreas 'shoots out' a dollop or three every now and then. I am on quite low doses of insulin though, 8u long and around 12-14 short am and 10u long and whatever I need for my evening meals pm, plus 850mg of Metformin am and pm. So, not huge doses like my friend was on whilst I was still working This is about my fifth regime, as it appears I am very sensitive to the insulin, poor doc has tried all sorts on me, she is a good doctor.