JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The contour next usb is rechargeable with usb charger or when plugged into computer usb connector.

@GrantGam sorry cross post would also add that replacement batteries are free for the Tee2 on Spirit health's web site.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
AccuChek Aviva Expert uses 3 x AAA batteries. It has a colour screen, so they only last about four or five months. My old meter, which used the CR2032 batteries mentioned by @GrantGam , would go well over a year between changes.

Reactions: NaziaB

NaziaB

I use this one, which technically uses the power from my smartphone:

http://mydario.co.uk/smart-meter/

Almost all BG meters use CR2032 button cell batteries which usually last well over a year and are around 50p each for brand leaders such as Duracell.

Bayer's Contour NEXT ONE, LINK 2.4 and USB models are all rechargeable. There may be others but I don't know as I've never used any Bayer products.

Thanks for the info! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not plastic - my first one was brushed metal, very slender and very, very heavy. Actually I wish I still had it - it was quite attractive as a 'thing'. Before dial-a-dose ones - you unscrewed the lid, then screwed it on to the other end of the pen, and a little button would pop out and that was the plunger. Two clicks, two units, at a time.
:)

Do remember using the brushed metal pens @Snapsy , just don't remember having to do all of the above, must be an age thing :rolleyes:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do remember using the brushed metal pens @Snapsy , just don't remember having to do all of the above, must be an age thing :rolleyes:

I had a silver brushed metal pen for my first pen. I can't remember the name of the pen but it looked and felt good.

Edited to add - I think it might have been a Novopen.

Reactions: Snapsy

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
The problem I remember with the metal novopens, was the risk of theft ... back in the early 90's, I never bumped into another diabetic, and people just thought it was a fancy fountain pen, worth stealing! and there was always an amusing look of shock and horror when they grabbed the pen without asking to write a note and uncovered a syringe.

NaziaB

The problem I remember with the metal novopens, was the risk of theft ... back in the early 90's, I never bumped into another diabetic, and people just thought it was a fancy fountain pen, worth stealing!

Oh wow, theft! I never even thought about! If I design a wristband that looks trendy, stylish and less like a medical device then people might steal this too... :(

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem I remember with the metal novopens, was the risk of theft ... back in the early 90's, I never bumped into another diabetic, and people just thought it was a fancy fountain pen, worth stealing! and there was always an amusing look of shock and horror when they grabbed the pen without asking to write a note and uncovered a syringe.
I rated your post funny, although it's clearly a major concern. I cannot think of any other inanimate object that go's missing/gets "acquired"/permanently borrowed, more than a pen.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Before dial-a-dose ones - you unscrewed the lid, then screwed it on to the other end of the pen, and a little button would pop out and that was the plunger. Two clicks, two units, at a time.
Oh, and the joys of losing count of the number of clicks half way through .... now .... was I up to 8, or 9 clicks??? And the next incarnation, you had to dial the dose up, and twist a lock before injecting, other wise the plunger wouldn't work ... As a forgetful teen, I became quite adept at locking it one handed, as the syringes were 12mm, so the other hand had to keep my skinny legs pinched!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The double line a little to the left of the cap, @noblehead , is where you unscrewed it to pop the cartridge in. And the screw thread a third of the way along from the left is where the cap screwed onto when you were ready to inject. At which point the cute little button on the end of the cap (far right) would pop out!

Ah, memories, memories! And I love a bit of sexy gadgetry. My pump ain't nearly as good-looking as that pen!!!

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The double line a little to the left of the cap, @noblehead , is where you unscrewed it to pop the cartridge in. And the screw thread a third of the way along from the left is where the cap screwed onto when you were ready to inject. At which point the cute little button on the end of the cap (far right) would pop out!

Well remembered @Snapsy , it all starting to make sense now :)

Ah, memories, memories! And I love a bit of sexy gadgetry. My pump ain't nearly as good-looking as that pen!!!

Very true but just think about how much more a pump can do.

It's strange,of all the pens, syringes and bg meters I've used over the years there's one gadget that I remember quite clearly, it was my very first bg meter and they called it the Reflolux S, it took 2 mins for it to read a bg strip but it was much better than testing urine which I previously had to do.

How times have changed..................

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the meters with colour screens seem to have lipo rechargable batteries via usb cables. One exception I can think of is the Accu Chek Expert with colour screen and uses AAAs. I like a rechargable meter which can recharge using the same usb cable as my phone.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What do glucose monitors run on? i.e. do they all run on batteries?

Does anyone have one that uses a charger?

Do people prefer rechargable or to run on batteries? Judging by responses I'm assuming batteries would be better.

In terms of my business proposal, would people prefer my wristband to be rechargable or to run on batteries?
I would have to think about cost affectivness as mentioned by @Resurgam so if using rechargabale, it would probably raise the cost of the wristband?

Thank you for your responses. :)
If it is a wristband why not make it run off of solar power.

D

Deleted member 308541

If it is a wristband why not make it run off of solar power.
I got a solar powered watch many years ago. I think it lasted around two months before it completely died never to tell the time again.

So it needs to be a good solar panel on the wristband to last any length of time.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a citizen eco watch - had it for years and it is great - about 1an hour of light runs it for about 6 months