highs still on metformin

smoss9

Hi, i am type 2 been on diet and then on metformin 2x500mg a day. I have just started to get thirsty again in the evening and although they say dont test have been and have been running about 7 pre meals, and first thing in the morning. Well this morning i tested pre breakfast was 11.4. That is clearly really high without eating. Waiting on doc to ring me to discuss a blood test being done, Just wondered what people thought. I have tried to cut carbs down and choosing right carbs but i do find i feel really not well when i go to low on carbs. Any help would be great.
sue

ClaireG 06

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum :D

I'm glad you are in touch with your Dr, i would discuss this with him. How long have you been on the Metformin?

Here is some information that you may find useful. If you have any questions please come back and ask :D

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sue,
I am probably going on metformin later this month after my 6 month review. 7 pre-meal and 11.4am sounds highish to me but how do you feel. Some people seam to be Ok on 7 others are better lower, I like to be in the 5's pre meal and 6's post but early am I am often 6.5ish.

I have had some high am readings (has been up to 9). I find that 1/2 litre of H2O before breakfast helps and likewise with or after dinner. The side effect of getting up in the night for the loo is one I have got used to as it seams to help especially after an evening meal where I have over indulged or not have control of what has been cooked (eating out)!

I do find I am thirsty much more than even 3 months ago (diagnosed in dec 2010) and assume that is part of the condition so being proactive has helped and try to have 2 litres of water plus 3-4 cups of tea a day but it can be hard especially at work. The result has been better control during the day and am.

Hope you get a supportive response from the GP and carry on testing, its the only way to know what is going on. When I have stopped testing I've lost track and gone off the rails so try to test for 2-3 full days a week and on odd occasions other days to stop it being a chore and find my fingers have been getting sore. Others will do it every day.

Good luck

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

I'd ask you doctor to increase your Metformin and you should also reduce your carb intake.

If you've been having a normal/high carb diet then drastically reducing them can leave you feeling a bit out of sorts but that will pass in a week or so and you will find your blood sugars improve a lot.

I'm on Metformin and started at the dosage you are on, but it had little effect; everything improved when I doubled the dose to 4x500mg a day.

What are you normally eating in a day?

Best

Dillinger

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Quite a few reports say Metformin is not that effective until the dose is above 1500mg
I was on 1500mg from the start I now take 2500mg believe thats max dose now

Best to go and see your GP
I take a weeks worth of BG readings that way you can show him in black and white how high you are going .Otherwise may only look at you Hb1c Thats an average levels the high readings out with the Lows My Gp always wishes to see a weeks worth of BG readings from me

Bob

smoss9

Thanks for the advice, having the blood test later on so will see what the result is. So if i cut back on the carbs my body will get used to it in a week or so? How do you cope with not feeling great though whilst this happens. I exercise 4 times a week and very active. Later in the day i had test of around 7 pre and post meals and then before dinner a 4.7. So not sure what is going on it is all over the place. It is a mystery every day a challange and you give up so much and yet even that is still not enough. Feeling a bit down about this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be inclined to test 2 hours after a large or the main meal of the day. Morning tests can be confusing due to possible liver glucose dumps. Testing is essential to find out whether carbs are affecting you and which ones to avoid. I think you will find that you will have to keep carbs under control and go for the low-GI ones; beans, lentils etc can be a good choice. Your GP can add further tablets in addition to Metformin if needed. He will probably be influenced by an HBA1c test result.

smoss9

Got results of Hab1c 7.3 so up from 7 in March. Told to see the nurse cant get appt until september so i just carry on trying to cut out carbs and trying to ignore this raging thirst that is still with me! I have cut all carbs at lunch now, just eating 1 weetabix for breakfast and some potatoes or pasta for dinner. I realise having a carb book so many things have carbs in but can only do so much. Yes i need to lose 1 stone in weight, but not sure how to do that without feeling ill. Go to the gym 4 times a week, just taken up swimming 3 times a week. Any suggestions gratefully received. Little bit of background, i am 47 was first diagnosed with diabetes when pregnant 26 years ago. Then went came back with each pregnancy. Then always since then borderline results untill 3 years ago when test was positive for diabetes, 1 year on diet only then 2 years on the metformin.

evilcat

Hi, I'm certainly not an expert (only diagnosed in May), but for me carbs in the morning are a complete no-no.

I've tried all combinations (porridge, weetabix, granola) all with water and just sweetener, but they still make me spike. At lunch I can have a small portion of carbs i.e. one slice of seeded bread/toast, but by the evening I can have an almost normal portion of rice or pasta (brown only :) ) I guess this may be because the pills have had time to kick in...

Are you eating white or brown pasta/rice as that can make a big difference as well. I can't really comment on the potatoes as even in the evenings I can only eat a very small portion.

I am losing weight, albeit not very fast, as I'm also very lazy :lol: I think the metformin are helping in this respect.

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Hi, I'm just coming up to twelve months as a type II and also on 500mg each monring and evening but I have had to take Gliclazide to also keep it under control. Was on 80mg to start but partly medication and partly diet and now reduced to 40mg of Gliclazide a day. Saw some suggest there are slow release versions of Metformine and Gliclazide so if you are having real peaks and troughs these may work better in giving you a better balance. Do remember that the important readings are your average reading over three months as this is what is in your bloodstream typically.
Don't panic
Regards
Jeremy

smoss9

Thankyou, well i suppose i just carry on until the docs, but slow release might be the answer. I have to have some carbs in the morning for breakfast as i go to the gym by 8 4 times a week and find that i dont have any energy unless i have carbs and then have to have a banana at 11 as by then after the exercise i am into the 4 area. I then eat at 1.30. So with exercise it is hard to go completly low carb in the morning, but can manage from lunch time. I expect they will up my meds as on on a low dose of metformin.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hiya Smoss,

Have you tried doing your exercise without eating carbs before? I run 2 or 3 miles before breakfast most days (and I weigh 260lbs so it's a non-trivial effort), and I don't have any problem with my energy levels. I've even managed to keep it up on this (stupid) 800cal diet.

I suppose it depends how much exercise you do in a session, but unless you do enough to exhaust the glucose in your blood (and cause a liver dump) then I'm not sure how eating more carbs will help you. Most of us have (by definition) trouble dealing with existing sugar in our blood, dumping more sugar on top of it won't make it get to your muscles any easier.

smoss9

No Not tried actually exercies without any food in the morning, but by the time i finish and that is with food, i feel shakey and have checked my levels and normally round 4. So i know i need to eat. I have high cholestral so i dont want to eat just meat or eggs for breakfast. It is a mine field.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I take metformin SR 500x2. Have done for possibly a year. I've only recently bought a meter and test strips so I've only got readings for about 2 weeks. They range from 6.2 - 11.2. I am keeping a food diary to see what foods cause spikes etc and read all the advice here and the problems. I feel better than I have done and I think this is because I have learnt I need to reduce the carbs (not abolish them). I am starting to have some effect on my weight too which is a bonus. I have a niece who is a nurse and she said that on the ward they would not worry about occasional highs and the rest of my numbers seem ok. I never get as low as 4 though. I am going to sar swimming again when I have lost 7 more lbs so I will take a reading with interest. Hope you feel better soon.

smoss9

HI Just seen the nurse and with the reading of 7.3 they have decided to put up metformin to 1000mg in the morning and 500mg in the evening. That is an increase of 500mg, will i notice the difference in the morning, worried it will make me feel low? She did not seem to be worried by the increase and said although they like 7 that is only marginally over? I was surprised as i thought it had to be below 6.7. Anyways will try the new tablets and see, had lost weight which she was happy with but no overly concerned about me losing more.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find most people view 7.0 HBA1c as a simple threshold to remember. Strictly speaking aiming for 6.5'ish is best. I don't see why the morning Met should make you feel low? It just helps reduce BS without triggering more insulin production so shouldn't encourage hypos. I would certainly go for low-GI carbs when you can; bananas are quite high-GI. Hopefully your next HBA1C will be below 7.0

gillgiraud

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
exercise
Hi All

I have been diagnosed Type 2 since October 2006 and as yet have not been able to control my blood sugars. The lowest average I have ever got was 8.7. Since being diagnosed I have gained 3 stone but have only lost 1 stone.

From January this year by diabetes nurse put me on victoza but I have stopped taking this as it wasn't making any difference to my sugar levels or weight. The nurse has now suggest piocliclazide (?) but this also causing weight gain, which I haven't taken yet (waiting for prescription). I have increased by metformin to 3 x 500 in the morning and sometimes 2 or 3 in the evening - as my sugar level reading was 14.6 last night and 17.7 this morning!

Recently my average has been 10!, even though I diet and eat healthy. I am under a lot of pressure at the moment due to possible redundancies - will know the outcome by Christmas (wonderful time to loose your job). So maybe stress is playing a huge part in the rise in my sugar levels.

Any advice?

Lorrie

Hi re your problems with morning exercise and carbs, you say that after exercise it drops to 4 and you feel shakey, just a thought, if y ou are eating carbs for breakfast, remember it will spike your reading while exercising and then you willcrash and burn, hence the shakes and the readings of 4 , because it has gone high then low too quick, protein would give you a slower release and may avoid the shakes, Just a thought, wish you all the best