Highs??

Bonnieuk79

My 2 year old is newly diagnosed and is high all the time,between 16 and 20 the hospital are telling me this is fine but I'm not convinced?? We have had no help or input from consultant or dietician since we left the hospital! My head feels fit to burst with all the things I've been reading about carb counting and blood levels ☹️

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 2 year old is newly diagnosed and is high all the time,between 16 and 20 the hospital are telling me this is fine but I'm not convinced?? We have had no help or input from consultant or dietician since we left the hospital! My head feels fit to burst with all the things I've been reading about carb counting and blood levels ☹️

you don't mention Type ?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes those levels are high. They my want you to bring him down slowly though. Can you call the hospital and as when your follow up appointments will be? Have you been told to use fixed insulin doses or to change them in any way? With a 2yr old you need medical advice.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good to hear that you finally have a follow up. Definitely ask about dose adjustment at the appointment. Hope all improves for your family.

justadad

Follow up appointment is end of July We have fixed insulin doses which clearly are not very effective

End of July is 2 months from now. I wouldn't be able to wait this long.
If you are uncertain about the effectiveness of the insulin, or the doses, and you if you do not want to experiment with the doses, you might try to cut down on the carb intake and see where that takes you.
There's obviously need for some adjustments, dose or carbs.
My son is 11, and he is rarely 10+ mmol, and that is only when he decides to treat himself to more carbs than planned. The readings however do drop after a while, back to normal 4-7 mmol.