Hives all over - cannula insertion

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

I have come out with hives all over my body due to an allergic reaction (not sure what yet but doctor thinks it could be peanuts or persil) and I'm a little worried about my set change tomorrow. As my body is covered with this itchy rash I will have no choice but to insert into it, although will try to choose a clearer area. Do you think this will be a problem? I really don;t want to go back to injections!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Pick up a barrier spray from the chemist and try that. Otherwise you will have to inject whether you like it or not :(

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pick up a barrier spray from the chemist and try that. Otherwise you will have to inject whether you like it or not :(
I will try that but even if I inject I will be injecting into the rash as it's everywhere. It's even worse today which I didn't think was possible. Anti-histamine from doctor not touching it and still no idea exactly what's caused it

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you?

well the rash appeared a little better around lunch so I managed to find a clearish space and put my cannula in and it's working fine. However this evening the rash has flared up again so that means it's maybe not peanuts or persil as I have been avoiding both and rewashed all my clothes, bedding etc The itching is horrendous!! I have this feeling of dread that it might be chocolate allergy as I did eat one bourbon biscuit today and due to it being Christmas have been having much more chocolate than normal.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Poor you. Are you taking piriton?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The doctor has prescribed Loratadine (Claritin) once daily but so far it doesn't really appear to be doing anything. My skin is so itchy it's impossible not to scratch and I've cut myself in some places. I also have all these lumps under the skin from the hives. I am trying to drink lots of water and stick to very simple food and hope it starts to clear up.

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Sorry to hear that, it sounds awful! If you have any aloe Vera based after sun it would soothe and help take the itch away, so would cold natural or Greek yoghurt!
It's not much in the way of advice but would bring you done relief.
Feel better soon

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
That sucks :/ did you doctor mention anything about cortisone? Maybe the lotion can be putted in the worst spots or even orally might be an option.. the bad thing is that your blood sugar will be a little crazy. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!

DM500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have an out of hours dr ? Get an appt. beg for a viscopaste medicated bandage or equivalent with tubegrip to cover the limbs. Instant relief

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have an out of hours dr ? Get an appt. beg for a viscopaste medicated bandage or equivalent with tubegrip to cover the limbs. Instant relief
We do have an out of hours doctor and I am going to call them first thing tomorrow of it's no better by then. I will ask about steroids and that bandage, although I'd need to cover my whole body in it! The whole thing still seems so weird to me because I have never. ever had anything like this and can't understand why I'm suddenly so allergic to something and still don't even know what.

DM500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck. There are various versions of it but the relief is incredible. Who cares if you look like a 'mummy'
Hope you get some respite soon.
H

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@DM500 I saw the emergency doctor today and asked about the bandage but he wants me to try steroids first. Given me 6 tablets a day for a week and wants me to have allergy testing. Hoping the steroids work quick but also expecting my BG to fluctuate now as I've heard steroids do that. Anything is better than itching though!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@DM500 I saw the emergency doctor today and asked about the bandage but he wants me to try steroids first. Given me 6 tablets a day for a week and wants me to have allergy testing. Hoping the steroids work quick but also expecting my BG to fluctuate now as I've heard steroids do that. Anything is better than itching though!
You will need to probably run a 200% basal and double the amount you use for a bolus. Obviously we are all individuals so amounts will vary, just be warned this might happen though.

DM500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all got sorted and you are feeling better