Holiday☀️

paigerobbo_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
Tomorrow I'm going on a two week cruise around Spain and Portugal. I've only been diagnosed since march so does anyone have any advice that could help me and make sure I don't go low or high to often and etc. Thanks x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @paigerobbo_x my best advice is to get the Libre sensor for your hols, it will take the pain out of testing, as sadly on holidays you need to test more due to the change in temperature, exercise, food. It really does become a very useful tool for times when routines change and will help you avoid going low/high as it shows the direction your blood glucose levels are going so comes into its own for this very purpose. Have a fabulous time :)

Reactions: noblehead

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
Tomorrow I'm going on a two week cruise around Spain and Portugal. I've only been diagnosed since march so does anyone have any advice that could help me and make sure I don't go low or high to often and etc. Thanks x
I've just got back from a cruise around Portugal and Canary Isles and I would simply advise that you test your blood regularly and ALWAYS take something with you to deal with potential hypos.

Reactions: noblehead

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!
Enjoy your holiday! There are only two things I would watch out for, increased insulin sensitivity because of the heat, and your insulin maybe going off because of the heat. Witj the first one, testing will help you out massively and being more cautious with your corrections (and always carrying a snsck like mentioned above!). Making sure your insulin is kept in at a good temp is just sticking it in a fridge if you can or getting a frio wallet. Tbf I've never actually had that issue but worthwhile to keel in mind. Otherwise enjoy the sun and the warm weather!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If it's one of those all you can eat free buffet style cruises, you'll need to think more about how insulin generally lasts for about 4 to 5 hours. So, if you have lunch and bolus x for it, and then a few hours later decide on a mid-afternoon snack, you'll be calculating y units for it, but remember you'll still have active insulin on board from the lunch shot, and it'll be peaking after about 1.5 to 2 hours, so you might want to be thinking about maybe reducing the snack bolus a bit, otherwise the combined 2 boluses working together can be unpredictable.

Some meters have an insulin on board feature to get a rough idea of how much is still kicking around. Libre has too - code to get intonthe professional options to set it up is CAA1C.

Maybe just experiment a bit by getting a sun lounger near the cake trolley in case of emergencies!

Reactions: therower