Holiday mischief

HEG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must point out before you read this post.

My levels under control (DN very pleased) weight average, blood pressure fine and no other symptoms side effects. My mental state however, stressed (parent bereavement) and Husband showing signs of alcohol and diabetc problems, kidney, fatty liver etc which he is dong nothing about.

I have just returned from a weeks holiday but as well as a holiday from work I had a holiday from diabetes!

Yes that's right I ate what I fancied without tracking my bg levels. I cleared my plate of the seaside fish and chips, ate bread, and desserts. Did lots of walking which probably offset my levels but I felt wonderful, stress free and unrestricted. The doctors as I am type 2 diet controlled doesn't give me the strips or monitor so I am thinking about throwing it away and just be aware of what I m eating instead and not over doing it.

Feeling rebellious and naughty.

HUG

Reactions: Bon83 and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's good to have a break from testing and thinking about what you should be eating.
But if you do that on a permanent basis there is the danger that you won't know if your bs level is rising until your next hbA1c test.
I don't test except first thing in the morning usually, just to know that I am on track. I know what is likely to spike me now, eg porridge, so I don't eat that now. But I can eat most things though in smaller quantities than before. I expect to be in the non-diabetic range again at my next HbA1c test due in September, as my fbgs are around 6.3 mmol/L. But if I didn't test I would have no idea how I was doing.

Reactions: noblehead

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely agree to the diabetes holiday, being type 1 I never have a full holiday but if I feel things are getting too stressful I do lay off a bit. If testing causes you stress then it's probably good to step away a bit. I used the libre for a few weeks to get running better but then my husband said he kept hearing hundreds of beeps a day and I realised I was getting obsessed with it. So didn't use one for a while. If you've made loads of progress you don't want to lose it all. It sounds like you are having a rough ride at the moment so take care of yourself as well as others.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm only testing in the morning and it's okay, being pretty strict on what I am eating.... though they have been a bit variable the last couple of weeks... so will be interested to see what the HbA1c is in September, my next bloods.

Glad to read you had a stress free time, as it is a real baddie.

Reactions: Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I now only test 2hr after the evening meal a few days a week, unless there is something I wish to investigate. If all the readings are below 6 I know I am doing OK, however I like them to be under 5.5.

My HbA1c will be interesting and the look on the doctors face.....