Home made veg curry

bunty

I cant buy any prepared curry sauces or pastes because they're all, without exception, contaminated by nuts or seeds.

I used to love curries and it's been getting me down, all this deprivation etc etc so i spent what seemed like several hours in Tescos and came home with a tin of Madras curry powder, fresh chillies, fresh ginger, tinned chopped tomatoes, 'light' coconut milk and heaps of veggies.

And i made a veggie curry and added some lentils for protein and an all-natural veg stock wotsit.

The veggies i used were: courgette; mushrooms; aubergine; green beans; some cubed butternut squash; about 4 tiny cubed new potatoes and broccoli.

In the freezer section of Asda a week or so back i found something like a chapati but, er..not a chapati. It is wholemeal and had 10g carbs each, so i had 2 with my veg curry and it was scrummy!

Now i know i can make something that tastes like curry and looks like curry and wont kill me, i feel a bit happier. My food allergies hack me right off - no nuts, seseme, soya, apples, pears, uncooked tomatoes, strawberries, kiwi, apricots, melon, peaches, nectarines - no raw potatoes or parsnips (and who would, i hear you scoff, but one Christmas, i was peeling parsnips and thoughtlessly rubbed my eye and it took 3 days for the swelling in my face to go away) and no traces of nuts.

I devote hours to reading labels in the supermarket! And factor in my checking for carb content and you know, it's no wonder i hate shopping!

But now i am going to rustle up some curries now and then and vary my diet and eat stuff i miss like heck, yay! And i shant go mad on the naan bread, chapatis, brown or basmati rice, either but i will have some of one from that list.

bunty

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
mmmm.... curry is good, and dammed easy, once you find a good spice balance that you like.

Sounds odd, but where do you live? Try to find a vegan/veggie/hippy type food shop. They usually have loads of things that are certified nut etc free, might be worth checking out.

Sounds great though :D

bunty

I live in north-east Hampshire and there's nothing remotely hippy or vegan or veggie round here.

I cant buy anything from that chain of shops that sells nuts and seeds and dried fruits and sweeties in bags - i forget who they're called - 'cos everything they sell is contaminated.

I love pumpkin seeds but the only way i have found so far to get my hands on them uncontaminated is to buy a pumpkin!

As for sunflower seeds...i guess i'd have to grow the things myself and i'm no gardener!

bunty

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Bunty,

Here's a recipe for Mushroom Bhaji that is quick and easy to prepare. And tastes great too.
It is pretty much carb free depending on the tomato paste you use
thumbsup.gif

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion - Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic - Chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
1 Teaspoon Corriander - Ground
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Tomato Paste
1/2lb Mushrooms - Chopped

Directions:
Saute the onion untill transparent, add everything else, include water if nessesary, saute untill done. Usually takes about 10 minutes.

Serves 2 to 4 people

Bon Appetit

bunty

Oo, thank you, that recipe looks great. I'll give it a go, minus the onions cos i hate onions and enjoy a fresh new dish.

My coconut flour has arrived and soon as i have time i'm going to make some blueberry muffins for breakfast - lots of new flavours!

bunty

bunty

Coconut flour claims to have fewer net carbs, so i'm going to experiment.

Most of the low-carb alternatives are laced with soya, which my body reacts to with as much hysterics as it does to nuts. So, anything is worth a try! I've been really sort of depressed for ages with my food restrictions and when i saw this product my heart leapt for joy!

I think the summer is always hardest for me, seeing people chomp their way through fruit at every hand's turn and here's me, increasingly at risk of anaphylaxis from even miniscule contact with soya and other things.

Ho hum, at least i have learnt how to make a safe low carb curry and now i want to finish that meal off with a safe homemade coconut flour and blueberry muffin.

bunty

Doczoc

I think Thai/Malay type curries work well with veggies. Broccoli poached in coconut milk is delicious with some spices added!