Hospital food concern.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Incredibly cheap. When I go around the supermarket on a limited budget it's very noticeable how much more expensive all the alternatives to carb can be

Lol. I once worked at a company that suplies hospital food.
Not on the "production line". (I hasten to add.) But for another outfit contracted to destroy the "paper work"..
A bit like a "dictator" would on the verge of loosing power in a coup..

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ironically enough.. For the last 11 months I have been doing all manor of work for an agency. Including on occaisions, unloading tons of tinned food in trailers imported from Europe that is labeled for the aforementioned Hospital food supplier..
As I stack the pallets. All I can do is "guesstimate" the astronomical amount of carbohydrate.. ;)

Still. The work keeps me fit!

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I count my blessings that I don't need much attention from hospitals but when I have I count my blessings yet again. We have a great hospital with good food, all cooked in the hospital kitchens. Chef makes all the soups & deserts and will even supply the recipe. I used to work as a volunteer and my favourites were leek & potato soup & Manchester tart. On my last admission for my reflux everyone got cheese & lentil bake with veggies & I had a cheese & ham salad. It is going to be one of the new 'super hospitals' however people still complain.
After reading all the above I'm glad of my geographical location

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I gave up when I told hospital I was going low.. When nil by mouth. After waiting snd waiting and waiting in a&e I told another consultant I was low and could I eat my sugar cubes. He said yes.
Then up on the ward (after having my problems solved which always means my leveks drop) and them knowing I have intolerance to bread, pasta, sweeteners etc I was offered a sandwich.." It'll be ok, its wholemeal"....

Yeah right.... Thankfully my hubby had gone home to get me strawberries and cream..

Then... After being told I would be staying in overnight by the time hubby got back with the strawberries (huge, huge punnet of home grown ones with a tub of clotted cream) I felt so sorry for the other ladies that I gave the strawberries away.

A day in hospital and 2 sugar cubes..

Reactions: 10 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whenever anyone in our family goes into hospital the wife goes ott with bringing in good food as she would say!
No one would have the choice of hospital food!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I gave up when I told hospital I was going low.. When nil by mouth. After waiting snd waiting and waiting in a&e I told another consultant I was low and could I eat my sugar cubes. He said yes.
Then up on the ward (after having my problems solved which always means my leveks drop) and them knowing I have intolerance to bread, pasta, sweeteners etc I was offered a sandwich.." It'll be ok, its wholemeal"....

Yeah right.... Thankfully my hubby had gone home to get me strawberries and cream..

Then... After being told I would be staying in overnight by the time hubby got back with the strawberries (huge, huge punnet of home grown ones with a tub of clotted cream) I felt so sorry for the other ladies that I gave the strawberries away.

A day in hospital and 2 sugar cubes..
Aw, how nice was that but you should have had some too, you were probably in more need than the others

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hospital food wasnt to bad,It was made for me and brought to me,unfortunately take the carbs out and there was not much to eat,there was no diabetic dessert,I was offered a banana?
Strange thing is they cater for all nationalitys which is good but not diabetics,as it happends since I became diabetic I have only spent two days each time I have been in hospital which has been four times in three years,had it been longer food would have had to be brought from home.
My last visit was five weeks ago for a gall bladder opp,They were concerned I had low blood pressure and they had me drink orange juice,I did as I was told as I was ready to come home six hours after the opp,It did nothing for the low blood presure but put my BS up to 14.6.
The sister on the discharge unit told me her sister was diabetic and drank lots of orange juce.
Unfortunatly nursing staff cant have much training in diabetes,and dieticians have even less.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aw, how nice was that but you should have had some too, you were probably in more need than the others

They were unlucky... They were staying in!-lol. Both ladies had been taken from A&E to the "pre admission ward" 4 days earlier and were still there and had no visitirs either.

There needs were definitely more than mine. I was going home!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I have a deal with my wife that if I am ever kept in hospital she will bring food in for me.
At least she knows what is good for me and will give me a full list of ingredients and all carb counts.

Hated the rubbish they insisted on feeding me when I was diagnosed, couldn't get out of the place fast enough.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I was in hospital, well before my diabetes diagnosis, I was in for 3 nights and barely touched any of the food offered. Even the cups of tea were disgusting. The morning cereal was covered with thin skimmed milk, the toast was provided with low fat spread and marmalade, but the bread was always white. No wholemeal was ever offered. Same with the sandwich bread. I never saw any butter. The dinners were bland and tasteless slop, and the salads were limp with no dressings. I asked for some salt and was told they have none and weren't allowed to provide it. It was obvious there was no salt used in the cooking process. Puddings were a choice between creamless ice-cream or lumpy custard things. My husband brought in all my food.

Now I am diabetic, and growing older, I fear for my future should I ever be hospitalised, or worse, in a residential care home. Particularly as I am diet controlled.

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
When I was in hospital abroad last new year with gall bladder problems,the dietition came to see me and orderd me fat free food.she had no interest in my diabetis.
I asked for some butter for my toast and was told I wasnt allowed it,so they brought me a large slice of cheese?

Reactions: 4 people
M

mammamia2006

Last time I was in hospital (almost 10 years ago) I was in from January until July.

After refusing to eat anything for 3 days the ward sister finally gave up and took me to the staff dining room and let me get what I wanted. I ended up going there for EVERY meal, lucky I was a patient & didnt have to pay, would have cost me a fortune.

Reactions: 3 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Almost 37 years ago, I was given carbohydrate free vegetable soup. I looked at it and decided to turn the bowl upside down - the soup didn't move!

Reactions: 12 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The day I was diagnosed my GP was so worried about me she sent me straight to hospital. I was hanging around for so long it eventually got to evening meal time, I was given a big white tuna mayo roll, diabetic jelly and (melting) diabetic ice cream. Actually, the roll was really nice, fresh and packed with tuna, of course I had no idea at that point that the roll was no good for me - I trusted the fact that my menu form was clearly marked 'diabetic' in bright red and therefore was fine to eat!

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recently in hospital for an outpatients operation on my teeth. When I came around they offered me ice cream. When I said I was diabetic and it had too much sugar they came back with a blueberry yoghurt that had more sugar in it than the ice cream. I again said I wouldn't eat it and complained fairly loudly that I couldn't believe that a hospital could not cater for a diabetic, and even worse, tried to give me sugar laden food. There was no other alternative so I told them I;d eat when I got home, to which they replied that I would not be allowed to leave unless I ate something. Luckily at this point my husband stepped in and insisted I be allowed home immediately. This is all on top of a high fasting blood of 15mmol when I had arrived that morning, and was 12 when they tested me when I woke up. I don't think I'll be allowed back!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have had the 'if i get hospitalised, please bring me food' conversations.
We have even decided the menu
- cold meat
- coleslaw
- salad
- strawberries
- cream
- 70% choc
- nuts

I could live on that indefinitely.

Heaven help me if he is in the next ward, after a car crash or something! :nailbiting:

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have had the 'if i get hospitalised, please bring me food' conversations.
We have even decided the menu
- cold meat
- coleslaw
- salad
- strawberries
- cream
- 70% choc
- nuts

I could live on that indefinitely.

Heaven help me if he is in the next ward, after a car crash or something! :nailbiting:
Lol! I could probably live on cheese!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats a good idea Brunneria...
I'm going to talk to hubby about this.
Last time I was taken in he brought huge bowl
Of strawberries from garden & clotted cream but bought an egg sandwich supposedly for me. Knowing that I do not eat bread!!! :(:(.

Fortunately when he came back I was allowed home so other pstients ate the food instead.

Definitely worthwhile having a chat with him about this... Thnxxx

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm going into hospital week Monday and have a stash sorted out to put in my bag. Pre op nurse cheerfully told me she had referred me to the dietician due to my diabetes and coeliac condition. I said oh dear I wish you hadn't. Nurses reply was funny you should say that I get the same response from everyone else as well. She has to refer but said do as everyone else does take a supply of snacks with you. Speaks volumes doesn't it?

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One time when my father ( not diabetic) was in hospital my mother cooked food and took it in and I got a delivery of grapes, chocolate, fig rolls etc taken to him by Iceland and they took it right up to the ward !