Hospital stay ... blood glucose spike

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
So, here's the nub: after decades of roller coaster sugars and little constancy of activity, I began a new journey in September 2013 to wrest control in such a way that it would not be too reactionary and knee jerk.

I accepted that it needed to take time and that the damage I've done may already be far greater or more encompassing than simply prolific retinopathy.

In recent months I'd been experiencing chest pains & palpitations when my BG dropped and especially when being active.

So it came as a shock and panicked me when I began getting strong heart palpitations, chest tightening and a freezing left arm.

A call to 111 led to an ambulance and a subsequent visit to the cardiac unit, from where I'm posting this, after an overnight stay and lots of tests.

Happily, I haven't had a heart attack, but it's possible that I may have Reynauds Syndrome (which would explain the major issues I'm having with finger pricking at the moment).

The cardiologist has stated she would prefer to see me go back onto an ACE inhibitor & will write to my GP accordingly... looks like I have more research to do!

That aside, my foray into LCHF since Christmas have been wonderful: almost miraculous BGs throughout.

So here's the grumble: hospital food.
Dinner comprised: salmon and cucumber sandwich, Muller Lite Peach Yoghurt (low fat, very sweet ) and carrot soup that U can only assume came out of a packet.

Whist there were carbs per 100g listed on the sandwich & yoghurt packages there was nothing about the soup, and the staff member did not appear engaged with her role (not surprising considering the management techniques of present day UK) to ask.

Fortunately, I could turn to my new android phone and make the relevant calculations with the calculator and Carbs & Cals apps; but what if I was someone with diabetes who carb counts but isn't so IT literate?

Well, the end result was a postprandial spike of 13 mmol, which I reduced to 7.0 before sleep.

I woke to 5.0, followed by 5.6 & then 5.4 before breakfast. ☺

The same process occurred with breakfast... sweet, gruel-like porridge with no info. (Alternatives included rice crispies, cornflakes and weetabix.)

One hour on from breakfast and my BG is 8.7; the two hour test is coming next...

7.5 after two hours, then 9.8, 9.2 and 9.8 after treadmill (lowered basal), and lunch. 3.2 after dinner (oops, overestimated carbs), 6.4 around 22.15.

Last edited by a moderator:

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand where you're coming from - I just don't know what I'd eat if I had to stay in hospital. Is there anyone who can bring food in for you?
Don't know if this is possible, but could you keep a record of what you are eating together with blood glucose readings and then have a word with sister/matron/doctor? if you are in for a while you might have to be quite assertive about it, but if only for a few days then just accept it?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, the chest pains must have been a shock.
So glad it isn't your heart!

I would have to hope that someone would be able to bring in food parcels.
I would rather eat the bedside table than eat that pap.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't give him ideas. ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that you're hospitalised, Conrad :( And had such a scare .Hospital food is dire at best, and no provision seems to be made for diabetics in regard to food choices or carb counts :(:banghead:

Food pacels are the answer, I'm afraid, but hopefully you will be sprung from there soon ?

Signy

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I understand where you're coming from - I just don't know what I'd eat if I had to stay in hospital. Is there anyone who can bring food in for you?
Don't know if this is possible, but could you keep a record of what you are eating together with blood glucose readings and then have a word with sister/matron/doctor? if you are in for a while you might have to be quite assertive about it, but if only for a few days then just accept it?

Luckily, when the ambulance crew had arrived and done the initial checks and treatment (GTN?), I was given time to pack a bag 'just in case'... I was able to record everything in my 'daily journal' whilst inside.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

:hilarious:
I'd almost considered that by 8am this morning... for someone whose normally breakfasted by 6.30 8am was just, well nigh on torture!

That said, yesterday evening's (salmon and cucumber) sandwich was half-decent, and lunch today (salmon fillet with cabbage and potatoes in a white sauce) was quite palatable! Lunch dessert was cheese and biscuits (a tad skin-flintish on the cheese though).

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that you're hospitalised, Conrad :( And had such a scare .Hospital food is dire at best, and no provision seems to be made for diabetics in regard to food choices or carb counts :(:banghead:

Food pacels are the answer, I'm afraid, but hopefully you will be sprung from there soon ?

Signy

Thanks @Heathenlass and @Brunneria , it was worrying. I had had the pains several times before, but only when really low BG (say 2.9 or less) and usually whilst doing / just after exercise. To get them whilst sitting at home typing on my laptop was, quite frankly a moment of masculine pride too far.

Anyway, home now, diagnostics completed with little to show for it (except 'waxed' chest hair and three cannula marks)...

However, the consultant has prescribed 40mg Atoravastatin and 75mg Aspirin, with a follow up with my GP to discuss ARB medication. Now, I understand the NICE parameters (male, over 40, T1D), but my cholesterol is 3.7 with LDL and Trig well within target and HDL fine. In fact, HDL and Trig ratios are excellent. So why the statin? I was told it was to help 'protect the kidneys...'

And then I read up on nephropathy and guess what? Long term use of asprin and other NSAIDS can be a cause of it!

So, I go home confused and less convinced about the system: one pill to kill me off, one pill to save me... one pill to turn me blue and another to turn me back. :depressed:

(What's more, I'm due to have tests for celiac and thryroidism ... Atoravastin is not to be taken if you suffer for hypothryoidism.)

So, what to do? Well, common sense says 'take the aspirin for a few weeks until I've fully embedded the LCHF diet into daily life and then review; in the meantime, don't take the statin until the tests and a second opinion'.

In view of my past experience with statins, I'd rather eat the (hospital) bedside table too.

P.s. The duty night nurse looked a lot like you Signy!

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear you are hospitalised
Hope you get back to normal soon

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to hear about your 'stay' in hospital. Luckily enough my last 'stay' incorporated fasting for my time in there.
I was concerned about the diabetic meals they were recommending including mashed potatoes and orange juice!!!
My first meal was a fry up from the cafeteria. And my second was a salad from the 'volunteer' shop.
I wouldn't have ate the hospital food to be brutally honest.
I defo would have ate the bedside table.

Hope you get yourself sorted Conrad.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Conrad, I sorta lost this thread, and wanted to reply and ask how you are doing ? Better, I hope ?

I have to say the Atorastatin advice sounds nuts with your lipid levels , perhaps it's less to do with " protecting your kidneys " and more to do with following the prophylactic party line as you are diabetic , and had a cardiac incident. :confused:

P.s The night duty nurse looked a lot like you, Signy

Scarey, scarey thought !:eek: Imagine waking in the night and having a horned silhouette looming over you ! :eek::D:D

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hiya Conrad, I sorta lost this thread, and wanted to reply and ask how you are doing ? Better, I hope ?

I have to say the Atorastatin advice sounds nuts with your lipid levels , perhaps it's less to do with " protecting your kidneys " and more to do with following the prophylactic party line as you are diabetic , and had a cardiac incident. :confused:

Scarey, scarey thought !:eek: Imagine waking in the night and having a horned silhouette looming over you ! :eek::D:D

Signy

Thanks Signy, I'm doing fine; it scared the living daylights out of me and knocked me back at first, but after the initial shock, etc., I've regained the energy to continue with my plans.

I'm seeing my GP this week to discuss the incident, meds and further tests (Reynauds Syndrome, neuropathy, etc ), and also downloaded Berstein's book, which is giving me ideas and inspiration.

I'm using the whole sorry affair as further impetus for change and challenge to my diabetes. ✊

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hospital food is brutal for carbs, I asked the nurse about the ice cream, sandwiches, chips, battered fish, weetabix, baked potatoes and everything else high crab and she just said "it must be fine it's all diabetic recommended!" I left hospital with apparently "really good stable numbers" of 16 mmol.....

The NHS really does need to look at what's recommended, without this forum I would still have been eating that ***** in big amounts because "the nurse said its fine". I feel sorry for non computer literate people that live their life's by the word of nurses and doctors.

Reactions: 3 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hospital food is brutal for carbs, I asked the nurse about the ice cream, sandwiches, chips, battered fish, weetabix, baked potatoes and everything else high crab and she just said "it must be fine it's all diabetic recommended!" I left hospital with apparently "really good stable numbers" of 16 mmol.....

The NHS really does need to look at what's recommended, without this forum I would still have been eating that ***** in big amounts because "the nurse said its fine". I feel sorry for non computer literate people that live their life's by the word of nurses and doctors.

I attended a conference last Thursday where an NHS Community District DSN said :
"We often have people coming to our courses with all manner of impressions about what they should and should not eat, and we have to spend time unpicking this."

First off that doesn't sound wrong or bad, except she then went on to criticise LCHF without understanding it.

I quickly shot back that I'd lived the DAFNE / Eat Well life and it had led to retinopathy and suspected additional complications whereas since going LCHF I'd seen nothing but super BGs and I'd not felt so alive in decades. I also pointed out that the NHS dietary advice is a 'one size fits all' and that since it was developed UK 'normal' eating habits had changed beyond recognition.

To her credit, she agreed with the sentiments and my suggestion that the NHS needed to overhaul its advice and guidance.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I left hospital with apparently "really good stable numbers" of 16 mmol.....

I'd hate to know what they think is bad!

If you get the time do complain to the hospital management and cc your MP - we have to challenge this nonsense... as Berstein says, no one need suffer complications - they're not inevitable with the right education and support.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just went back through my diabetes app and pulled my "stable good" hospital numbers and where I'm at today for reference
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1421767952.660254.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1421767971.863655.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, so glad you are feeling much better now. It must of been so worrying at the time. Hopefully you will be able to get back to normal. Take care and all the best RRB