Hot Chocolate

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I'm not a hot drink person in general. I have up caffeine due to migraines about 5 years ago and since then it's just the occasional peppermint or green tea to be sociable.

But this morning I have an unusual craving for a hot chocolate! I'm a bit confused if its ok to have? In my head its like coke, liquid sugar so a no go area! But the more I've thought this morning the more I realise it will have high fat content and so maybe wouldn't work in the same way?

What time trying to get at is, provided I take the correct amount of insulin with it is it ok to drink hot chocolate, or should it remain on my coke/sprite/lucozade bad list? I don't mean every day, just the odd one when I get the urge!

Quick refresh in case it will affect the answers given: 23y/o female, Type 1 for 3 or 4 months on MDI

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:
Hi all!

I'm not a hot drink person in general. I have up caffeine due to migraines about 5 years ago and since then it's just the occasional peppermint or green tea to be sociable.

But this morning I have an unusual craving for a hot chocolate! I'm a bit confused if its ok to have? In my head its like coke, liquid sugar so a no go area! But the more I've thought this morning the more I realise it will have high fat content and so maybe wouldn't work in the same way?

What time trying to get at is, provided I take the correct amount of insulin with it is it ok to drink hot chocolate, or should it remain on my coke/sprite/lucozade bad list? I don't mean every day, just the odd one when I get the urge!

Quick refresh in case it will affect the answers given: 23y/o female, Type 1 for 3 or 4 months on MDI

Am T2 but suggest you give it a try if you fancy it, assuming it's not your body just asking you to feed it, in which case I wouldn't have thought that cocoa counted as a substantial breakfast! My Green & Blacks cocoa says carbs 12, sugars 0.4 per 100g. Don't know if you take milk with it of course. However, watch out for the creeping addiction! Mind you, if your bGs stay good, I wouldn't have thought it a problem anyway.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope I've had breakfast already - big bowl of porridge!

It's from a coffee machine so I've had to make an assumption on the carbs, but using the carbs and cals app I went for 28g! Seems high but I'm then there's nothing healthy about hot chocolate

I'm generally not a big chocolate lover so it's unusual for me to have craved it but sometimes you just get the urge!

Interested to see what happens with it. I suspect nothing good though

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:
Nope I've had breakfast already - big bowl of porridge!

It's from a coffee machine so I've had to make an assumption on the carbs, but using the carbs and cals app I went for 28g! Seems high but I'm then there's nothing healthy about hot chocolate

I'm generally not a big chocolate lover so it's unusual for me to have craved it but sometimes you just get the urge!

Interested to see what happens with it. I suspect nothing good though

I know ... I've just bought 5 packs of spearmint mints for a £1 in the local shop. Contingency perhaps, or the fact that I know that once I've had one ..... :crazy: They're my 'driving tablets'. :shifty:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I love the idea of driving tablets! Might need to get me some of those....

I have a Jaffa cake every time I jump in the car as I know my BG can drop pretty swiftly when driving....... And I also adore them haha 9g per biscuit so not too shabby!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Moment of truth...... Pre-lunch at 3.9!

I suspect a couple of things have happened
1) the carb content was lower than I predicted so I took too much insulin
2) I've been in a long arduous meeting. These usually drop my BG a bit
3) I'm in the honeymoon period so the sugar involved made my pancreas go into over drive to compensate.

I didn't test 2 hours after so I don't know of a had a massive spike before this drop. But it's not a bad result as things stand right now

Once again I'm not feeling any hypo symptoms at 3.9 - I am quite at ease with it which does worry me sometimes. But that's a whole different issue!

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:
Moment of truth...... Pre-lunch at 3.9!

I suspect a couple of things have happened
1) the carb content was lower than I predicted so I took too much insulin
2) I've been in a long arduous meeting. These usually drop my BG a bit
3) I'm in the honeymoon period so the sugar involved made my pancreas go into over drive to compensate.

I didn't test 2 hours after so I don't know of a had a massive spike before this drop. But it's not a bad result as things stand right now

Once again I'm not feeling any hypo symptoms at 3.9 - I am quite at ease with it which does worry me sometimes. But that's a whole different issue!

Sounds very encouraging. I have found that I drop at the rate of about 1.0 every 20 minutes right after a 2-hour test until I level out, so maybe a similar thing is happening to you. I think I should campaign for a change to the guidance to 2 hrs 10 mins!! :roll:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never thought it would come to this.
You don't remember me do you?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread has given me the giggles..... In a dead quiet office!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lift the office humdrum by putting:

"That's what she said" at the end of everything you say.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MCMLXXIII said:
Lift the office humdrum by putting:

"That's what she said" at the end of everything you say.

I prefer to use the extremely versatile "so's your face" in response to any statements